Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 5, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hi, I'm considering moving a 5 line family plan over to T-Mobile, and I had a question about 5g coverage (not the future mmWave stuff, but the current nationwide deployment). If I have a phone that is compatible with all bands, including 600mhz, but isn't 5g capable, am I giving up any coverage? I know I'm giving up some theoretical speed, but I don't care, I just want to know if every tower that has 5g, also has 4g on similar wireless bands (so similar range and such).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 5, 2007

heffray posted:

T-Mobile has a tiny number of 5G phones on the network and is unlikely to have any 5G-only towers in the next year or two. 600mhz is the unusual one for rural coverage, if you have that service should be good across most of the map and generally comparable to other carriers. Porting over now puts you on equal or better footing to most of the customer base.
Great, thanks!

quote:

For anyone considering switching: each employee has 3 codes (each) for new customers getting 20% off Magenta plans forever, $200 off a 5G phone, or $200 off a 5G phone for existing customers. The Magenta plan lineup is a bit more expensive in exchange for the Netflix, Gogo, and international data perks, but the 20% discount more than offsets this.
Does this work for family plans? Because if so, I'm very interested.

Grumpwagon
May 5, 2007

How do you get a free line?

Grumpwagon
May 5, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a simple comprehensive list of Band-71 (600mhz) service deployments, trying to help someone switching carriers.

The coverage info maps from T-Mobile just kinda lumps b71 4g in with the other 4g, and b71 5g in with mid and high band. Is the only useful info going to be waiting for press releases or browsing through third-party mapping services?

Official data is really hard to come by, but this map is the best unofficial source I've found. If you just see blue, zoom out, you're in the ocean.

Grumpwagon
May 5, 2007

From my experience these last few months, the nights, weekend and overflow people are outsourced and if you need any deal stuff done, they don't know how to or won't do it (you can tell you're talking to them because they're actually in a call center). The normal T-Mobile people are great and know their way around the deals super well.