Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

MrCodeDude posted:

How does this work for incoming calls? If someone calls and I am not on a strong wireless signal, I imagine weak 3G/4G/LTE will make the call sound terrible. Do you have to call them back using your T-Mobile number?
It's just a regular call. When they call your GV number, it goes to Google's switch and Google forwards the call to your cell number. When you "call out" using your GV number, you're actually calling Google and they're forwarding the call to the number you want. Both ways still use up minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MrCodeDude posted:

Oh, my mistake, I never installed GV on my phone, just Talkatone. So use GV when I don't have data, use Talkatone for when I do.

And I guess just use Talkatone as my default SMS/MMS client.
Does Talkatone do SIP calls using your GV number like GrooveIP? If so, that will work fine until Google breaks it later this year. We can just hope they get Hangouts-Voice integration completed before then.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I have the $30 T-Mobile plan and since it has no data roaming I sometimes lose data (but not voice) when I'm traveling. Is there a way to temporarily add roaming? Would it be better to use a prepaid AT&T SIM? I have a Nexus 5 and I use Google Voice so it doesn't matter if the number changes.

What's the best option?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

There is no "roaming" you can just add to any tmobile plans that I know of.
Since AT&T has much better coverage in general, I'd keep a gophone sim around for traveling. Keep it on a pay per use plan and add a few bucks to it every 60 days so it doesn't expire. When you travel, call 611 and add a data plan which will get you 30 days of service.
You mean this? It sucks that I have to get unlimited voice/text just to get a decent amount of data.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

Edit: Straighttalk is $45 but there are all kinds of rumors about throttling or cutoffs if you use more than a certain amount of your 2.5 gigs in a short period.
It's only when I go on vacation and I've got better things to do than dick off on my phone, so that's not too big of a deal. Is that something I can get ahead of time and just activate whenever or do I have to sign up each time?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Drevoak posted:

Can anyone confirm that Google voice works with the prepaid plans? I've been googling this and I've been getting a lot of mixed answers about it.
What do you mean by "works with?" Texting works as long as you have data. Calling on GV is really just calling Google with your normal phone number and they forward the call to the number you want. You can also set up SMS to use forwarding so that you don't need data, but it will give your contacts screwy numbers. If you're talking about using GV as your voicemail for your T-Mobile number, that will not work as T-Mobile won't let you do the forwarding on prepaid plans.

I ported my phone number to GV so I still get voicemails and can check them without calling.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

It works with prepaid. I have the $30 T-Mo plan. All you have to do (if you have this plan) is call T-Mo and tell them to disable your voicemail. That way, GV will pick up the call.
Only if they call your GV number. If they call your T-Mobile number they'll get RNA.

e: Unless you answer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

True. This begs the question: if you use GV as your number, why would you even know your prepaid throwaway number? Guess it's up to each person if they ever give that out. I surely don't.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html
I give my T-Mobile number to my friends for MMS and also SMS when I'm in an area with no data. I hate that I can't tell when a call is coming from Google Voice or not because I get a couple of calls every week for whatever idiot had my T-Mobile number previously.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

vote_no posted:

For areas with no data, you can set Google Voice to forward texts. You can reply to Google's texts and it they forward it as though you'd sent it from your GV number. I use this all the time in the roaming and no-data zones, and I still don't need anyone to know my T-Mobile number.
I know about this (and even mentioned it earlier) but I'm lazy and don't want to bother with matching up all my contacts to the number that GV assigns to them, so they can just deal with me texting them from another number when I'm out on the lake.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

If they call my prepaid number and I dont answer what happens? Not sure what RNA means.
I'm just tired of people leaving voicemails then it costs me minutes to retrieve them and they aren't even important.
Sorry! It's a telecom phrase short for "ring no answer." Usually it refers to a land line that's got a problem like open out (broken cable) and if you call it you just hear ringing and nothing happens on the other end. In your case it will still ring your phone, but they'll just hear ringing until they give up or you answer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Should have also mentioned that I'm a new t-mobile customer, trying to switch over from Verizon, so I don't have an account yet. Also thought that the nerd plan was online / wal-mart only? They seem pretty insistent on that.
It is. You can get an activation kit from the store but they might charge you for it. When I did it I paid them for the kit and set it up in the store using the browser on my Verizon phone. I'm guessing you can port your number after that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Get rid of that app. It actually reminds you to reboot the phone once a week. That's insane.
You can turn it off. There's a checkbox right there in the screenshots.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Medikit posted:

I deleted the app soon after I downloaded it.
Because easily-disabled features bother you? Or because you didn't need something to show you your current minutes/text/data usage?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="427484571"]
I'm on the nerd plan and just went over my 5 gigs. Data is still working obviously, and my phone is still connecting over LTE. I assumed it would switch to edge, but I guess it makes more sense to throttle me. Any idea what speeds I'm being limited to?
You tell us.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

H is for HSPA. HSPA is kind of like 3G+. T-Mobile has HSPA+21 and HSPA+42 which are both very fast. "4G" just means 4th generation wireless technology, and there's nothing really stopping carriers from calling whatever they want 4G. The whole thing is Sprint's fault, because they started calling their lovely Wi-Max 4G. T-Mobile said "hey, our HSPA+ is better than that garbage" and started calling HSPA+ 4G. Then Verizon rolled out their LTE which is the first "real" 4G network, but even it doesn't meet the ITU's initial specification for 4G which was pretty optimistic. LTE-A is also coming out which will be the first "real" 4G in that it can reach speeds of 100Mbps. You probably won't notice a difference between HSPA+ and LTE (I can't) as they're both very fast, but LTE does have lower latency.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

nerve posted:

No it doesn't, that's why it's WiFi calling.
Looks like it does.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

planning on purchasing the iPhone 6 32GB model.
Good luck.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Island Nation posted:

$40 for unlimited talk,text & 3G data plus 1 GB LTE, Could this beat the dork plan for people who talk a lot?

quote:

*Rate plan max speed of 8 Mbps; upon reaching data limits, speeds slowed to up to 128 Kbps.
I wouldn't call 128Kbps "3G."

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Usable, maybe, but that's not the point. 128Kbps is GPRS/EDGE territory. 3G (HSPA+) on T-Mobile can go up to 42Mbps.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

This is aimed at a prepaid customer who wants a smartphone but doesn't do a lot of smartphoney things and has heard horror stories of people going over their limit
I know exactly what it's for, the only thing I'm saying is

Island Nation posted:

unlimited 3G data
is incorrect/misleading.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

Using Band 12 lets them cover much more area with LTE than the frequencies they were using previously.
Ugh, that means I'm going to have to replace my Nexus 5 if I want to get that sweet rural coverage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

I can't see a use case where a phone is your only internet connection, you're not creating a hotspot, and you burn 500+ MB/day on things that aren't streaming music.
You can burn that much in an hour with Netflix.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

This may once again be my naivety, but who is watching ~50 hours of Netflix a month on a phone with no other internet connection? (I presume the person watching all this content would choose the 'good' setting since clearly you're not in it for a pristine viewing experience on a 6" or less screen).
There was a guy in the Verizon thread who bragged about doing just that (I think with an HDMI cable) and using ludicrous amounts of data. He went over 90GB in one month. Since phones have 1920x1080 (and higher) screens you can get the same detail as a full-sized TV.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Basically right now I'm torn between a G2 and an Idol 3, but it looks like the Idol 3 doesn't have a scratch-resistant screen, and I had bad experiences with that with an S4.
The Idol 3 has Dragontrail which is comparable to Gorilla Glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?AGCAsahiGlass?videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Since when does the Nexus 6 have a poo poo camera?