Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Does T-Mobile charge a restocking fee if the device you're returning is defective? I got a Note 4 and the camera just WILL NOT focus. It'll stay blurry for a good two minutes and then maybe focus if I jostle it around enough. Lighting does not seem to matter. Excellent phone besides that, but this is twice I've been burned by Samsung, so fool me twice, etc. I'd like to just return it and get my money back. Maybe get a Nexus 6 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Guess I got all angry for no reason because I realized that I had pretty much zero complaints about the phone besides the camera issue, and defects happen. Took it to the T-Mobile store, showed them the lovely camera issue, and they exchanged it for a new one no questions asked. Camera works now. I guess I was just kinda mad because I was all "jesus christ I give samsung phones another chance and THIS HAPPENS".

The Galaxy S5 I got for all of a week was a total piece of poo poo but Note 4 addressed my one gigantic concern (horrific UI lag, I guess the Note 4 finally is powerful enough to weather touchwiz) and since my eyes are just going to hell, the big screen seemed like a great idea. I even managed to sell my Nexus 5 for drat near what I bought it for. Success all around.

The rest of Touchwiz I can live with. Even though Samsung puts a facebook app on there that they don't let me uninstall OR disable. gently caress you, Samsung. Putting a custom rom on this feels pointless because then I'd be losing the S-Pen, half the reason I bought the drat phone.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

So this seems like the thread to ask. Any T-Mobile employees in this thread? I really, really wanna get out of food service and T-Mobile retail seems like a pretty okay job, based on my interactions with them in the store. They always seem pretty upbeat, but then again I guess they're paid to be.

My understanding is that they're paid a pretty basic wage, and then they get pretty decent commission, especially around when a new hot iPhone/Samsung is released? Anything horrifying I should know before I apply?

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Burden posted:

I just had my 10 year anniversary with T-Mobile yesterday. It's a pretty good gig. You will start at a few bucks over minimum plus commission. I have part time reps making around 2 grand a month in just commission. If you can hit your targets then you will be fine. Depending on the store you will you need to know how to sell somewhat. It is pretty laid back and I have fun at work most days. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How often/generous are the raises to your base salary? How common is it for part time reps to make that much commission? Are full-time positions pretty readily available? I can bullshit people pretty well I think, so I could sell phones. What do you mean by 'hit your targets', and what happens if you don't?

edit: What sort of commission is it? Like 1-3% or something? Not shabby on an $800 iWhatever. I really doubt that employees get free phone service but do you at least get a cool discount?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 4, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Burden posted:

Targets wise, you have a quota of new lines, handsets, accessories, features and you have to hit them. It's not that hard and you will slowly get ramped up over a couple of months. If you don't you get written up, have a few of those in a row and they will let you go.
Sounds a little scary but I'm sure they would at least look at extenuating circumstances if there were any (like you were out sick with pneumonia for two weeks or something, or it's just a really slow month and nobody hit it) right?

Or are the targets pretty easy to hit if you at all try and it's more like "do your job or get fired"?

Burden posted:

Most of my part time reps make between $1200 to $2000 in commission every month.
Goddamn, I make less than 20k a year now working like 45-50 hours of backbreaking work a week (RESTAURANT INDUSTRY! :buddy:), so getting paid like twice as much to just hang out and sell stuff people are gonna wanna buy anyway sounds like an unbelievably good deal.

Gonna go for it, thanks for the answers.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I have another dumb question. Obviously I'm on T-Mobile.

So I'm giving my wife my Moto G 2015 because her GS3 finally said gently caress life and died. I may have (meeting him tomorrow) scored a T-Mobile LG G4 for $400, and he's agreed to meet me at the T-Mobile store near me. Assuming the phone's all good to go and I want to buy it (obviously have the T-Mobile guy check the IMEI, etc etc), there's something they can do to 'mark' the phone as mine or tie it to my account, right? As in, make the original owner unable to immediately report it stolen?

I guess I don't expect him to do that because he seems like a decent guy but I still want my bases covered.

edit: I just decided to call and ask like a normal person and the guy told me that basically if I bought it and he decided to report it stolen there's poo poo all I could do. Realistically that probably wouldn't happen but I still don't like the idea of buying a phone that would forever be 'some other rear end in a top hat's phone', so I cancelled on him. Alas.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 6, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

nimper posted:

For less than $400 you could get the Nexus 6 from Amazon and not worry about shady dudes.

poo poo camera, no expandable storage, no replaceable battery. Nah.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Oh I've already spewed my opinions all over that thread long ago, don't worry.

Sorry, I know you were just trying to make a friendly suggestion and I responded kind of unreasonably hostilely so I apologize!

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

From all the reviews I've read and pictures I've seen online (supposedly taken with a Nexus 6) it does pretty good in well-lit situations but it's really, really dismal in low-light. Low-light is, like, 75% of all the pictures I ever take, so that's a no-go for me.

I'll probably just go and get an LG G4 from T-Mobile directly, it's on sale for like $480 anyway.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ddogflex posted:

But that is exactly what the band 12 poo poo is supposed to help, so we shall see!

My LG G4 is compatible with band 12, and is in fact my first phone that is. I notice that my coverage strength/area has gotten noticeably better. The beach I visit with my fiancee and my work are two places I've never gotten coverage (gently caress knows why in the latter case), but with this phone I get an actually pretty strong signal.

edit: I applied to two T-Mobile stores and I really really wanna work for T-Mobile, if I get an interview does anybody have some tips on how to kill it :ohdear:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 27, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LionYeti posted:

Just show that you're eager to sell you know the product. Not like in the weeds nerdshit just what makes you want to buy this expensive phone over this cheap phone.

So "This phone is good because big screen and stylus" and not "this phone is good because it doesn't use a snapdragon 810 which is for pleb idiots"

Got it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want further advice, feel free to message me, I've worked 6 years for every carrier but T-Mobile now, so I know what to do pretty well.

I don't have PMs :downs:

I'm aware it would be sales and I'm comfortable with "do your job or get out". I find the idea of a commission job pretty cool because seeing some sort of reward for good performance is a totally alien concept to me in all my other jobs I've ever had, where hard work meant you lined the pockets of some fucker you would never meet or care about. I did introduce myself and they seemed very positive about the idea of getting me an interview at least (was today told to expect a call tomorrow), and the hiring manager and I laughed and joked about innocuous stuff the couple times I've met her, so she seems to like me. I wore slacks and a button-down shirt, which may have been too formal? Went for two corporate stores.

28, five years of experience in customer service, management and training, but it's all been in the food industry.

And would it not be weird to be on T-Mobile but apply for AT&T and Sprint and such? I dunno, I guess I didn't do it because I thought it might be a conflict of interest. Would they not care?

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

tonic posted:

I've been hitting my 10GB data cap on Cricket every month

Jesus Christ, what are you doing with your phone? Do you steam netflix over data or something?

No judgement, I'm honestly curious. I've just got the complimentary 1GB on my T-Mobile plan and I don't even hit that some months.

So anyway I got turned down for T-Mobile :( One of the stores I applied to, the manager said that I was "a really good candidate", just that there was only one spot and somebody else applied with more (any) sales experience. She said to try again in a couple months. I guess I shall.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mnemosyne posted:

It's been 6-7 months, so I don't recall exactly what happened. All I remember is that there's two parts to the porting process, and every time I'd talk to someone, they'd complete the first part and not the second part. Then I'd wait 48 hours, it still wouldn't have ported, and I'd call again.

Really weird because when I came to T-Mobile from Sprint my number was ported instantly and painlessly.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I think you have to trade in your 'current' device to get the ETF paid off? So yeah, bring a poo poo dumbphone.

I could be wrong though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ilkhan posted:

5X can use band 12 as of the 6.0.1 update (99% sure, I know the 6P can and I think it did it for both of them).

But I'm on a 6.0.1 6P in an upgraded area and LTE Discovery app still says band 4, so IDK WTF anymore.

Your phone will only use Band 12 then it 'has' to and Band 4 is either out of reach or too congested. Band 4 is typically faster in most areas anyway. If you live in an area that already had great T-Mobile coverage (like I do, in Seattle) then Band 12 doesn't matter quite so much. I only think I've seen it ONCE on my LG G4 and then once again on my 5X.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Also, and I'm guessing no: I'm currently on T-Mobile on my dad's plan. Is it possible for me to move to the $30/mo prepaid plan while keeping my device and phone number? Or would I have to go to some other carrier first and then come back, or something stupid like that?

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's available to new lines only so you'd need to port out and back in.

How long for?

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Does Band 12 work on MetroPCS? Like, if you have a phone that'd get it on T-Mobile, it's all the same? Gonna be needing my own mobile plan soon (and not my parents') and T-Mobile, on its own, is too expensive for me unless it's on the nerd plan which apparently I can't get. Google Fi seemed like an attractive option... but then I realized that I use Music Freedom, like, constantly. Google Fi would cost me a fortune, with how often I use Pandora (all the time).

For how long do I need to be away from T-Mobile to get the $30 pre-paid plan, and does it count if I go to MetroPCS?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 31, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Brock Landers posted:

Also, I've read that just calling and asking to be switched does sometimes work.

poo poo, never thought of that. I'll try it. Thanks.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

god drat T-Mobile where's my LG G4 Marshmallow update :mad:

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

oh hey sup I work for T-Mobile now.

I think I posted in this thread about wanting to get a job there, and I went out and did it. woop

goku chewbacca posted:

Finally, despite CEO John Leger's fiery rhetoric about those "ridiculous" and "bullshit" activation fees that those other carriers charge, T-Mobile is instead tacking on a $25 SIM card charge to all new line activations and phone installment plan purchases/upgrades. But it's an equipment charge and definitely not an activation fee that their website and salespeople insist they don't charge. For what it's worth, I was able to get my $132.50 in SIM card charges fully covered by a combination of instant discounts and a bill credit.

I kind of legit loving hate this, I won't lie. Every day at least one person gets angry at me for the $20/$25 (our older sim cards still only charge $20, the newer ones shipped to us cost $25, so sometimes you get lucky) additional charge on their transaction. I feel like I kind of have to mumble through it because it feels so dishonest. "Okay, so your total comes out to $xx.xx, which is the $xx.xx down payment, $xx.xx for the full tax on the cost of the device, $xx.xx for your accessories, and then the$25upgradesupportcharge"

I mean, it's only an extra $25 on top of the loving $900 smartphone you're buying so it's not that big of a deal but at the same time I totally understand why it makes people mad, because it feels like money that vanishes into nothing just for the sake of buying some share holder another ferrari or where ever the gently caress that money goes, I dunno.

edit: ha ha haaaaa I haven't posted on SA in a long time and I totally forgot about the avatar/text that someone in the Android thread was assblasted enough to buy for me. Love it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

are you working for Corporate or third party? I assume sales rep?

Corporate, and yes, RSA.

I suppose ask me anything? I'm still relatively new so there's bound to be some stuff I don't know as well, but hey.

edit: just to pre empt the question: I do not get any more knowledge than you do about phone release dates and stuff like that.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

repeating posted:

For example, third-party stores generally won't honor requests for free SIM cards whereas corporate stores will.

Nope. Corporate stores don't do that anymore either, or at least my market doesn't.

I get at least a couple guys a week confidently telling me "oh, I never get charged for sim cards or upgrade fees at the other stores lol"

Yeah okay how about gently caress off and go to those other stores then. They'll tell you the exact same thing.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think the two lines for $100 is still going on and a good deal

Jump on this while you still can, once you have it locked in you keep it forever, but if you miss it, you'll be paying $120 for the same.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Edit: what are the thread's thoughts on the $12/mo protection service? Seems higher than I've paid in the past with Verizon but maybe I don't remember. Are there other insurance options?

The $12/mo includes Jump, which is the upgrade system; once you have half the phone paid off - either through 12 monthly payments (out of 24), or simply paying off half of it - you can turn in that phone, we forgive the remaining balance, and you start over with a new phone with 24 monthly payments again. A ton of people just upgrade their phone every year and maintain that $30/mo payment on their bill forever. Regular insurance is $10 (or $12 and it comes with premium mobile security but the Jump option comes with that anyway, so I'm not sure why that even exists??)

I always always always recommend the insurance, especially on a financed device, because if you're financing and lose your phone or have it stolen, you don't magically get out of that agreement; you still will owe all 24 of those payments, plus another 24 for the replacement you're gonna need. The deductible to replace a lost, stolen, or broken (cracked screen, water damage) phone ranges anywhere from $50 to $175 (depending on the device's full purchase price), which seems kinda steep, but when you do the math, you can break your phone three times in a year, pay the deductible all three times, plus the $120 for a year's worth of insurance and still break even on having to buy a new device even once without the insurance. The more expensive the phone, the better of a deal it becomes. The insurance also has the perk of extending the manufacturer's warranty beyond a the base year it comes with, and the processing fee is $5 instead of $20, and gets shipped next day air instead of UPS ground, which takes like a week.

And if you're on a Jump on Demand lease, which doesn't require insurance (in most states), it's still a good idea because you have to have a reasonably undamaged phone (acceptable screen, no water damage, powers on) to do an upgrade, and the damage penalty is $250 at the time of upgrade if it isn't.

I've seen it way too many times (even in the relatively short time I've been with the company) that people will decline insurance (lol I don't need that I'm ~*CAREFUL WITH PHONES*~) and then come in maybe a couple weeks later asking what they can do about the screen they just shattered. It only takes once and honestly :10bux: is worth the peace of mind.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Here's how it's gonna work

1. Up front cost will be around $250. ($25 for the new line + $30x2 for the down payment + $20 upgrade charge on an existing line + whatever applicable sales tax, in WA for example it'd be about $75 per phone) = $255. If you're lucky enough to live in a state with no sales tax (Oregon, etc) your costs will be a lot less ($105). If you opt for two S8+'s you'll have to also fork over another $200 ($100/phone) plus more tax on that $100, so in my example it'll run you $475 up front.
2. You'll need to sign up for the promo on the promotions website (if you ask nicely the rep may do it for you).
3. Wait 6-8 weeks for your prepaid mastercard of $750.
4. Once received, bring it into a T-Mobile store, and tell them to pay off one of the S8 EIPs (doesn't matter which) with the Mastercard. They'll know what to do. Since in that 6-8 weeks one or two installment payments will have hit, you'll have some left over. Put the rest towards your phone bill? The other S8? Go out to eat? You can use the remainder for anything, not just for T-Mobile stuff.
5. Only THEN cancel the line you had to open, not before, or you'll no longer be eligible and have to eat the entire cost of that second S8.

So, yeah, not totally free (still gotta pay that sales tax, and that additional $100 in the case of the S8+) but it's still a hell of a deal.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I can say that in the system on our end it's a very easy mistake to make because it's not clear at all, the distinction between the cellspot and the wifi router.

Even then it's a super easy mistake to fix, just take back your router and get the other one? There's no charge at all.

But yeah, you can have both.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Protocol7 posted:

I'm guessing the AutoPay discount takes a few cycles to show up? Just had my first T-Mo bill get autopaid (and I'm on the 2 for $100 plan) and it wasn't discounted $10.

Check to make sure the reps at the store didn't cheekily sign up both lines for T-Mobile One Plus. We get bonuses for that and less scrupulous stores have been caught adding it on to every customer every time regardless of consent or foreknowledge.

I never do that, myself, but I've heard of it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

JoD, which I've heard the reps don't get commission for anyway.

We get commission for JoD upgrades, but not for opening a JoD. which is kinda fuckin' weird but hey

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

eddiewalker posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I can just add $100 in credit to my $30 prepaid plan and walk out with a free phone?

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/web-to-retail

What the least terrible option here as a backup phone to run a few things iOS can't (Torque, USB-OTG tinkering) or as a Netflix-occupier for the kid?

That is exactly how it works. The phone becomes $0.00 in the POS when it's rung up with EPIN100, so there's no strings attached. It's yours to keep.

Galaxy J3 and Coolpad Defiant are probably the least terrible of those.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sounds like the rep who switched you over hosed it up (which is an easy thing to do, tbh, because our systems are the worst bullshit ever) and the additional you're paying this month is the prorated charges from being on the multiple single line plans for, like, a few days. You could probably call 611 and bitch about it and they'd credit you the difference, if you really care about $15.

Everything should be fine from here on out.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 30, 2018

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

About the military plan, account is in my name, I'm a vet but not active; wife is active. I would need to close my account and open a new account in her name?

Vet has to be account holder, active can just be an authorized user, but a vet being an authorized user doesn't qualify for the military plan, for whatever dumb reason.

\_(ツ)_/

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Decairn posted:

When I switched to the 55+ plan, all TM did was change ownership to my wife, no new account created but it did do a credit check on her. Then they just changed the plan on the account and we setup new auto-pay on the account. It should be the same here if the active is currently the account owner.

They made you a new account. That's called a change of responsibility and I do it all the time. Run credit, make a new account under the new billing party's name, move the lines over, close old account.

It's not actually possible to change the billing name of an account.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

It sounds like you don't care much about data on your phone? Good solution might be to get the $20 talk and text only line on a flip phone (we only sell the one and it's garbage, I dunno about unlocked options, but the J3 Star and Aristo 2 really aren't that bad), plus $20 for an unlimited data tablet line, plus $25 for unlimited hotspot on the tablet.

$65 for an unlimited hotspot and a phone isn't a bad deal at all, assuming that the talk/text line counts to get the discount on the tablet line that makes it $20. I haven't done this myself and don't know if it works that way, but I had a manager tell me that they've seen people do it and it works.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

No Butt Stuff posted:

Will I get the note 9 faster if I pre-order in store or online?

All preorders are the same to my knowledge.

Here's a pretty interesting thing: https://www.cnet.com/news/oneplus-6t-will-launch-in-october-with-t-mobile-as-us-partner/

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

First worthwhile thing T-Mobile Tuesdays has done in almost a year.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

In order to trade in the iPhone 8 at all for that promotion it has to be fully paid off, which yours is not. In your case, you'd just be doing a regular Jump, which would move you into the standard 24 month plan with no credits.

The promotions with bill credits are terrible because they lock you into whatever choice you make for two years if you want the full credit back. Too many people abused the mail in rebate system and ruined it for everyone else.

KKKLIP ART posted:

The internet says that it supports the following:

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900, 1700/2100 MHz
LTE Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41

ATT and T-Mobile iPhone 7s are the same model. You have the same bands as though you'd purchased it at a T-Mobile store. Largely, 2, 4, and 12 are the ones that matter, so you're fine.

god I work for the company and I cringe at everything this guy does

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 16, 2018

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

They would, but it would be kinda lovely for the guy you sold it to because he wouldn't be able to unlock it from T-Mobile until the 24 months is done.

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Protocol7 posted:

Any idea how long these trade in deals stick around? I'm probably going to pay off the rest of my EIP in the next month or so, since I have $180 left on my phone and my wife's each. Being able to turn around and trade both phones in for a $300 credit each is very tempting, but we just did $1200 worth of car repairs so that's not happening this paycheck.

No idea. We're never told when a promotion ends, which is the most annoying poo poo ever. I wouldn't be very surprised for it to not last past the preorder stage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 24, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Statutory Ape posted:

First time I've ever heard of that being the case outside of Verizon :shrug:

Sprint phones automatically unlock upon being fully paid off now. This is a pretty recent change and I was super surprised to learn this! Makes switching people from Sprint super easy :v:

edit: speaking as a T-Mobile employee, I wish we were less garbage about our unlock policy. Verizon phones unlock day one and Sprint phones do after being paid off. Meanwhile, we have a bunch of stupid lovely hoops to jump through, particularly if you're trying to unlock a phone that's locked to T-Mobile but wasn't purchased at a store, I got a seed phone from LG that, after owning it for a year, I had a hell of a time trying to get unlocked to resell it after the LG rep told me I owned it and it was okay. I had to call customer care like nine loving times and get it escalated and wait 72 hours between each attempt until a supervisor was finally able to add the IMEI to the whitelist (despite being told that that's what they were doing each time).

In this aspect, I wish we were more like Verizon, where our phones are unlocked from the word go. I mean, who the gently caress cares if someone buys a phone from us and then uses it on Verizon or whatever? They still bought the phone and had to have service with us to do so, so it's not like it benefits the company that much. It's just loving asinine.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 24, 2018