Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

e.pilot posted:

Would it be possible to add a free line and use it on an iPad?

I do not believe so, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RodShaft posted:

I guessing sprinters can't do it. I can't seem to.

This article seems to imply it's possible?

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/09/t-mobile-free-voice-line-deal/

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully they keep that deal for the iPhone 12 in a month or so.

I'd expect this to last a week or two.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

come on tmobile give us more free line and discounts on the iphone 12

So far the iphone 12 deals are not great (lol 30 months of bill credits) , hopefully Costco does something decent.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 14, 2020

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

heffray posted:

There's a $200 rebate card for accounts over 5 years old & trading in any iPhone that was used on the tmo network between Aug 2 - Oct 2, and a trade in offer at $500 for 11 Pro or XS or XS Max; $415 for 11, X, XR, 8, 8+; $300 for 7, 7+, SE 2020; $215 for 6s, 6, SE; $50 for anything 5s or older. Bigger promos are available with trading in plus activating a new line. What were you expecting?

iPhone 11 seemed to have better offers at launch (unless misremembering we got half price + trade in value applied) with shorter duration on bill credits. Sadly I don't think I quite qualify for the 5 year deal.

I was hoping for something similar to the S20 FE deal train, but probably too high of hopes :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like another free line starting tomorrow, this will put me up to 3 free lines added this year alone!

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/11/t-mobile-may-launch-free-voice-line-deal-tomorrow/

This won't be available for the old "2 for $100 + 1 free" plan people, but I was able to switch in the past to plan FRLTULF2 from that

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve gotten a free line before on my 2 for $100 plan and they let me keep it. Hopefully they can again.

They did have 1 free line offer for the 2 for $100, but apparently that plan caps out at 3 lines for reasons

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like another free line promo coming tomorrow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/m6ft9k/megathread_no_joke_its_time_for_another_free_line/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Elephanthead posted:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobiles-5g-upgrade-includes-the-iphone

Has anyone got this promotion to work? $530 off for a 7 seems fine with me. (Via 24 monthly credits)

I did one of the other new promos and had no issues (don't have any spare iPhones at the moment). In fact it seems like they updated their checkout process to much more clearly indicate what part of the trade in is up front vs bill credits which is very helpful.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

Jumped on that "free Samsung A32 5G for any phone you trade" deal. $30ish to convert an old Moto E Verizon pre-pay locked phone I was using as a video player into a new 5G phone that I can use on one of the many spare free lines t-mobile keeps throwing my way is a solid deal. Rinse and repeat for my old as poo poo HTC G2 that doesn't hold a charge and a Nexus 4 which keeps crashing all the time

Did the same with a Verizon Moto G4 play I had been using as a test phone, heck of a deal.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Charles posted:

Signed up for Tmobile yesterday. The first line that he signed up gets all kinds of texts about surveys and stuff, can I change which line they're directed to?

I've found those to be fairly random in terms of what lines gets what depending on what you're doing but generally they get sent to the "primary" line which you should be able to change.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just got the second wave "someone stole your info but NOT all your info" and it's weirdly refreshing to actually see someone not get away with my social security number (although I'm sure it's out there from like 10 other breaches)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I got lines for all my kids who will need phones in the next few years and started adding in random family members/friends on our plan who were looking to jump ship off whatever family plan they were on.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone tried switching to Magenta max recently? I'm going to try and hit up tforce, but I've heard that they are transferring the 20% discounts and free line offers over, so in theory would be a small monthly bump (as well as losing kickback).

EDIT: According to tforce switching to Magenta max would cost me $16 more a month and would let me keep my 20% insider hookup and all my free lines. I'm currently on an old "One" plan with the free one plus add ons, insider hookup, free lines and kickback.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 17, 2021

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Whoa dang, iOS 15 seems to have fixed some things or T-Mobile got around to upgrading towers in my town. Finally saw 5GUC and got a 650mbps Speedtest on my iPhone 12.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s 5GUC? I’ve only gotten normal 5G since I’ve had mine and it seems to be almost the same speed as LTE as far as I can tell.

There’s a new icon for higher capacity/speed 5G. After I updated to iOS 15 I went to about and got a carrier update and then saw it today:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/9/15/22675255/tmobile-5g-uc-icon-iphone

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

lowcrabdiet posted:

On the website it says the AAA stuff starts in 3 days, June 21

Gotta have something good for a tmobile tuesday!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol signed up for the free AAA promo and apparently my promo code didn't work so got charged full price. AAA seems puzzled on how to fix it.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 21, 2022

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like how these deals never save me an money than what I'm on already, and I'm not on anything special. It's like $400 more to do that in my circumstances before I even sell my existing handset, drives me mad!

e:

To make sure I'm not missing anything, I'm using the 13 Pro 128gb as the 14 isn't on the site yet. I'm guessing taxes probably be about the same on both examples so I didn't do the math to include those.

$12/mo for the handset with $800 trade in for my XR
$85/mo for Magenta Max
totals $2,328 over 24 months

Whereas I keep my $40 Metro plan
$1,000 for the handset
$40/mo for my existing line
totals $1,960 for the same period

I guess if I needed a poo poo ton of data or had multiple lines it might work out, but you'd think there'd be more value to me being a customer locked in for multiple years would be something they'd want.

Yeah I did the 20% off One+ plan a while ago with a bunch of free lines and then moved laterally to Magenta Max last year, only thing I lost was the kickback discount, my Magenta Max bill is $112 for 7 lines.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Same. I am on 2 lines for $100 with a $10 kickback per line if I use under 2GB. Magenta Max is $140. That's $480 more for the year. They'll give me $500 off a trade in for my iPhone 13 Pro. This is all just ploys to get people to switch from grandfathered plans to a higher cost plan because they're idiots.

Last year Best buy had that deal where you could trade in your iPhone 12 Pro for an iPhone 13 Pro, and it brought the $1,000 phone down to $100. The nice thing is... you only paid sales tax on the $100, not the $1,000 MSRP. So it was something like $106 for me to upgrade.

Even on this "Free Phone" deal with T-Mobile on Magenta Max, you are still paying sales tax on the $1,000 phone and dealing with bill credits.

Best Buy usually lags a bit on promotions. I would bet that they are going to try to match all the carriers doing $1,000 trade in values, and you will pay less sales tax and not deal with bill credits/fake contracts.

Best Buy has had the best third party deals recently for sure for T-Mobile, Costco seems to have not been quite as good lately.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I still have an iPhone 8, and I've been waiting for the 14 as my phone has started really showing it's age the past few months.

I am guessing no one is going to offer anything for the 8, and my best option for it is to sell it on FB or SA-Mart or something?

According to the leaked deal offer if you’re on Magenta Max T-Mobile will give you $400, if not they’ll give you $200. Based on Swappa prices that may be pretty reasonable based on your device condition.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Single line is tough, that doesn't seem to be tmobiles strong suit for good deals.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Since I'm never eligible for a third line free promotion, I am guessing the day will come where I have to add my kid to my family plan will be the day I lose it :(

Are on the weird special 2 line One Promo plan? I was on that and they switched me to Magenta Max so I could add a bunch more free lines with little to no impact to my bill other than losing kickback

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I remain impressed how bad TMobile is at at provisioning when you order a new device through them and the new iPhones with eSIM do not disappoint.

Wasn't able to transfer the SIM from the old phone and the instructions they emailed didn't work but eventually stumbled my way through it and waiting the "up to 2 hours" it will take for activation.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

serebralassazin posted:

I ordered my 14 pro from apple and did the phone to phone transfer. I was actually amazed everything went smoothly. My line transferred from physical sim on 13 pro to e-sim on 14 pro in a couple of minutes.
I was expecting having to call customer service and have to wait forever because it was new iPhone day.

From what I can tell this very much depends on what the old phone model is, the newer the better.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I ended up porting my number from MetroPCS to AT&T and all (eventually) went fine. Presumably I need to cancel my Metro payments, but now I can't log in to the web portal with my usual phone number/PIN. Is there something I have to do differently now, or did Metro do the smart thing and say 'hey this guy is not a customer anymore so we won't auto charge him going forward' which feels a bit like wishful thinking on my behalf.

In my experience in the past porting out generally closes your account but in your case may need to actually call them up.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is TMo known to engage in any sort of throttling/shaping for older plans? Wife and I are on one of the older One Plus plans and I swear my data service has been going from "meh" to "poo poo". Between that and a giant dead zone in the middle of town I'm getting very tempted to jump ship.

I think this is general network problems vs anything targeting older plans. Supposedly they are doing "tower upgrades" but these upgrades seem to make service terrible for weeks/months on end.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 26, 2022

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

These have become a lot less common, but if you did want to add another free line, that is potentially an option at the moment:

https://tmo.report/2022/12/t-mobile-will-likely-offer-a-free-line-for-the-holidays-with-catches/

Differences from this one vs last ones:

• Maybe not everyone is eligible? Easiest way to find out is TForce/chat. I'm on a Magenta Max plan with insider + a ton of free lines and got it.
  • You can't stack device promos on top of the free line like you previously could
  • Free line goes away if you make changes in the next 12 months
  • You still have to pay the dumb $35 fee

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Seiyal posted:

How long do these specials last btw? Specifically the home internet and the extra lines promotions?

Definitely possibly interested (our home net has been getting rather high price-wise lately but I wasn’t sure how good it is) but may need to move peoples lines around to make things work.

Extra lines I haven't seen an explicit end date reported, but I'm not sure Tmobile even officially announced this one so generally good to move quickly if you can.

Astro7x posted:

I am on this T-Mobile One promo with two lines all in for $100 even w/ taxes included, with $10 kick back if a line uses below 2GB.

I am never eligible for a free line promotion. I have a kid that will eventually have a cell phone, and I'd love to not cancel my plan one of these days because I need to add a third line.

I was on that plan and found a very nice TForce person who was able to switch me over to Magenta Max and kept my free lines and insider discount. I did lose my kickback discount as that's not compatible at all with Magenta plans, but it ended up being a wash with the additional free lines I've been able to add. Certainly worth a try if you want to stick with TMobile if you can have it be a lateral move. I don't trust regular support enough to try it with them though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like the extra line deal is already dead but the $25 home internet deal is still going.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Looks like the only way to get thw drat 23 is by grabbing a Max line? Lame.

They definitely have been gating their best promos for Max, I'm assuming you were talking about the "free S23" promo?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, or at least a trade for my 21 that doesn't result in a 30/mo addition to my bill.

Ah well.

What plan are you on now? I was able to switch One to Max via Tforce and only thing I lost was my kickback discount, my 20% and fee lines all stayed and ended up being about a wash honestly. The device promos made up for the kickback loss.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

heffray posted:

You forfeit future credits if you get another subsidized phone through T-Mobile, but if you get your next phone elsewhere that's fine.

This has not been my experience, you’re saying like you pay off a subsidized phone, still have months of bill credits left and then buy a new one on financing with bill credits? I’ve always continued to get both in that situation.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Whee, looks like Magenta is going to get sunsetted in favor of a even stupider named family of plans named "Go5G" but I am curious what the offerings might be (and if I can truck my free lines and insider discount to yet another plan type):

https://tmo.report/2023/04/rumor-t-mobile-to-launch-new-go5g-plans-retiring-magenta/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

The new plans look kind of lame… but I guess that’s to be expected.

It does seem likely they might start gating best device deals on the new plans, which is not shocking, but we shall see as we get into the fall with iPhone season.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oof, T-Force was the one remaining good customer service option they had and it looks like while not completely dead it has been pretty significantly cut. This doesn’t bode well:

https://tmo.report/2023/06/t-mobile-suddenly-lays-off-over-two-thirds-of-their-t-force-support-staff/

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 6, 2023

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

My Pixel 4a has developed a dead band in the touchscreen. I see that T-Mobile is offering $250 for a trade-in for it, could this issue with the touchscreen effect this? It turns on / holds a charge / no visible damage, etc.

It's honestly a bit of a gamble there, I've never had a device rejected and don't know how thoroughly they check devices but they will ask you the condition up front and bad touch screen doesn't technically fall into any of their existing categories. The full trade in terms and conditions site looks like it's down right now, but at a glance that seems like it would be fine.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

indigi posted:

Well I came in here to ask about hotspot plan coverage/performance since I want to add one, but given the posts on this page I'm starting to think about moving to another carrier lol

Eh, I think they definitely are less interested in trying to be nice to customers now that they have all that spectrum but I have enough grandfathered discounts and free lines that moving would be tricky.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think I just reused the shipping box that my new phone came in, but it's been a few years since I went through the process.

Same, just shove old phone into box, print out and attach label, drop off.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Medullah posted:

I'm a long time Sprint customer and still on SWAC. I'm going to Canada for a few days next month - does T-Mobile include Canada in standard coverage or will I need to get a temporary add on?

For most Tmobile plans yes, the data cap for high speed does depend on your Tmobile plan though (5/10/15GB). Assuming they kept the terms of the SWAC stuff intact I would imagine that should also still be fine?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ahhh- that's exactly what is happening- I got the $350ish applied immediately and there is a $27.50 credit applied to my bill each month for 24 months. Thank you!

This is also 100% everyone’s reaction the first time it happens (I’m sure my similar post is probably still in this thread).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well looks like plan migration thing is dead for now, wonder if that ultimately was just there to make people forget about the other recent unpopular policy things (autopay changes, smaller discounts on phones if not on latest plan, etc).