Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Khanstant posted:

What is it anyway? I have an unlimited data plan and don't stream junk to my phone anyway, IIRC it's pointless for me.

Binge on is short for : "we've forcefully lowered quality on everything you do, enjoy!".

It's not an actual benefit to you at any time unlimited or otherwise, so it is beneficial to turn it off. Phones and devices can already choose their quality without Tmobile making the choice for you under the false pretense of "more data!". It does bring in a ton of politics and weird media coverage for tmo and a direct benefit to them - none of which is being passed on to you.

Think of this like the flip side of how a data cap works: instead of harassing all the heavy users (top 5%) via overages, they're basically defaulting everyone to be the lightest users (lowest 5%) and letting you choose to opt out at will. Still zero consumer benefit and 100% carrier benefit.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
can someone help me understand if this is right?

I have an LG g4 - this is the 4th one I've had where they are bootlooping and simply not even making it to the loading screen. Apparently on this last one I'm told that the water damage indicator thing is no longer on the phone - probably the last one never had it but I had never thought to check - and yet it looks like insurance claim is $175? Is that for real? LG wont' cover poo poo for their own phone's known bootloop issues?

I'm beginning to question if I should even bother vs just buying a Oneplus 3.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Well, my phone was replaced once - and my wife's once (both LG). So 4 LG's total, but I didn't expect this poo poo to be this bad. Anyway, I guess LG honors it so tmobile not doing anything is basically irrelevant. I must have gotten a super shady tmo store.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 7, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Panama Red posted:

Recently switched to TMobile for the Unlimited One plan. Just saw this today: http://www.businessinsider.com/t-mobile-fcc-reach-48-million-settlement-unlimited-data-plans-2016-10

How bothered should I be with this? Do I have to be using an insane amount of data for my connection to slow to a crawl?

Depends on what you do. If you're a power user you basically are being charged for the poo poo sandwich. If you don't watch videos on your phone all day you're probably ok. You're speed capped immediately on multimedia and anything tmo thinks is multimedia which is why it's not a real unlimited plan but even more speed limited should you hit the cap, which again most non power users won't. Realistic total of tmo customers that are power users data wise : 30-50%. People send lots of photos and do lots of multimedia stuff these days.

Think of this like being told you can drive unlimited but can't go above 30mph and if you hit 700 miles driven in a month your speed limit is 1.5mph.

Sadly, every other us carrier is worse.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

T-Mobile added Simple Choice plans with unlimited data to the Pixel offer, so I was able to claim it. After verifying my eligibility with their support folks, I went to their promotions site and used promo code PIXEL, put in my IMEI and uploaded my receipt from the Google store, and I was done.

So what is the order of stuff here? I tried to do the promo thing and keep getting weird messages saying my phone number/pin are not active.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
For the pixel deal, do they want your current phone's IMEI or the pixel's (when you receive it)?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Satellite sucks and starlink also sucks. Oh, and lol it’s Musk.

Starlink doesn't scale, so we'll all be dead before it happens. https://www.lightreading.com/satellite/starlinks-threat-to-wired-broadband-minimal---analyst-/d/d-id/768528

maybe 1 million people total under utilization after full satellite deployment.

Why I'm here: tried to see if I could get tmo internet service as a backup but I don't even get anywhere even through online requests Does it actually exist or not even?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I mean it lists as available but opening tickets/requesting contact after it confirms my address gets no response. Is that the wrong way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Pretty sure this is just "we want to get ahead of the FTC investigating junk fees and force you on an account change because that's not a junk fee!"