Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an old grandfathered "unlimited" (5GB) plan on AT&T and re-upped a 2 year contract for the iPhone 6 last September. My understanding is, according to this: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-links/faq-upgrading-your-phone-with-jump-and-jump-on-demand.htm

-I can get a 64GB iPhone 6S for $99 down + $19/mo.
-If I want to upgrade to the iPhone 7 after 12 months, I can either trade in my 6S or pay $164 to buy the phone outright.

-I tend to use around 2.5GB data/month, with the random spike to 5 or 6GB, so I can get the 3GB plan for $60/mo.

T-Mobile will pay my ETF as long as I trade in my phone, but I can obviously sell my iPhone 6 for more than my ETF. Can I try to find an old dumbphone and use that as my trade-in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

You can only buy the phone outright at the end of the 18-month lease term. For your trade-in, you have to trade-in "a working smartphone," which means a $20 prepaid smartphone will do.
Okay, so if I want to upgrade to a 7 next September, I would trade in my 6S, or I could wait until the 18 months are up, buy the 6S, sell it privately, then start a new 18 month agreement for a 7?

Also, where would I get a $20 prepaid smartphone?

Edit: If I'm leading the phone with Jump On Demand, does that mean extended warranty coverage from American Express doesn't apply since I'm not actually buying phone in one transaction?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

So when the 1GB/3GB/5GB whatever gets "used up", how much slower is the remaining "unlimited" data?
2G. So enough for maps and not much else.