Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This is probably a dumb question but I'm asking anyway: on a family plan is it possible to have separate bills, or else set up separate payments? I'm currently on my own (Project Fi) but my mom is always complaining about AT&T's prices, and her and my brother are on a family plan with them. My ideal situation would be to get the three of us on T-Mobile One and have the plus add-on for myself, putting my bill at just under $50. I'd just prefer to have it auto pay my portion and not have to worry about wiring my mom $50 every month or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Okay so the way it would be (for example) is if my mom had her card as the default, then I could log in before the auto pay, pay $50, and my mom would be charged for the remainder?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I've never traded in a phone before (or actually bought one from a carrier for that matter) but since T-Mobile is offering $400 for a Pixel 1 XL towards the 3a, making it essentially free (via monthly credits of course) I'm probably going to do that. I'm just not sure if it's easier to do in store or online, since it seems they'll have the 3a in store tomorrow and being able to have the phone without waiting for shipping sounds awesome. But if I do it in store, do I hand over my current phone right there or do I still mail it in, so I have time to transfer my stuff and get the new phone set up?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Follow up question: I'm on a family plan and not the primary account holder; will I need the primary there if I do it in store?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

if you're listed as an authorized user youll be able to do anything you need re: upgrades and buying equipment

if you know the account pin you can just call customer service and pretend to be account holder and add yourself as an authorized user

theoretically the stores wont even talk to you about account specifics if you arent listed on the account, let alone sell you anything

Is there a way to check if I'm authorized? I'm on the plan with my mom (primary) and brother, who I don't live with, but I was in the store when my mom set it all up and I feel like she made us both authorized. If not, can she authorize me via the website or does she have to call?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Actually you can do it online, I texted my mom and like 5 minutes later she said she gave me full access. The website is showing me as being able to upgrade my phone and all that now so it looks like I'm good. Thanks for the help.

Edit: well none of the stores near me have the white 3a so I'm ordering it online anyway. I'm just double checking that when I order it, there's no reference to the trade in offer and that will just appear on my bill after the trade in is approved? I don't see a way to indicate I want that offer.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 8, 2019

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

If anyone else wants a Whopper code:

NZX93XDXXG4JLVDV

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone have experience with changing your phone number? Specifically if I can import a number to change mine to? A few years back I was on Google Fi and I ported that number to Voice, then joined a family plan with my mom and brother and got a new number. The headaches of using Voice are not worth it anymore and Google keeps telling me they're really for real shuttering Hangouts so I'm ready to just have one number again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

When I traded my Pixel XL for the 3a the way it worked was I got some pittance upfront (about $50) and the other several hundred was through bill credits. This is probably the same.