Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

No, their tech support was always poo poo but customer service was good until a couple years ago.

This is correct. They used to have golden customer service. Probably went downhill when they closed and consolidated a bunch of call centers, which was around 2013-2014 ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Confounding Factor posted:

LGV20 looks pretty sweet and it seems to have a pretty decent headphone jack as well. Any reason why you would want an S7 over it?

Have you seen reviews of LG phones for the last 4 years? They've had a terrible track record.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

There's no way to save money if you're an existing customer with 3 lines on the Simple Choice plan. Can't do the 20% off deal, can't switch to ONE because the plan jumps to $140 with a third line, can't cancel an existing line for the free line because that voids eligibility, being on Simple Choice means getting the free line and waiting the year before I can cancel a line without voiding the free credit will cost me $60 in taxes minimum.

I am not feeling Thanked, T-Mobile. I already lost a $5 credit a couple years back when I switched the account into my name and lost out on the extra share of stock because it technically was a new account. :smith:

T-Mobile is doing great things in terms of up ending cell phone pricing, making carriers change, etc, but a good part of their strategy def seems to be offering big promos for new customers. So you get a solid deal when you switch, 2-3 years down the road you don't continue to get the same deals. Almost like Comcast with cable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

That's what I asked the tech about and they said there was no way. The consumer has no way to log in to do that sort of thing and they don't offer for their techs to do it either.

That's weird, both the ATT and Verizon version def has that ability.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

oh hey sup I work for T-Mobile now.

I think I posted in this thread about wanting to get a job there, and I went out and did it. woop

I kind of legit loving hate this, I won't lie. Every day at least one person gets angry at me for the $20/$25 (our older sim cards still only charge $20, the newer ones shipped to us cost $25, so sometimes you get lucky) additional charge on their transaction. I feel like I kind of have to mumble through it because it feels so dishonest. "Okay, so your total comes out to $xx.xx, which is the $xx.xx down payment, $xx.xx for the full tax on the cost of the device, $xx.xx for your accessories, and then the$25upgradesupportcharge"

I mean, it's only an extra $25 on top of the loving $900 smartphone you're buying so it's not that big of a deal but at the same time I totally understand why it makes people mad, because it feels like money that vanishes into nothing just for the sake of buying some share holder another ferrari or where ever the gently caress that money goes, I dunno.

edit: ha ha haaaaa I haven't posted on SA in a long time and I totally forgot about the avatar/text that someone in the Android thread was assblasted enough to buy for me. Love it.

are you working for Corporate or third party? I assume sales rep?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

LG V20 is the flagship option for you. If you want to go a little older, the Note 5 fits the bill.

Buying LG phones is always a bad idea.

The Note 5 is both older and it has a non removable battery and no SD card slot.

Basically:

nimper posted:

Removable batteries are going away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Strange, of the three times I've gotten a new phone at a T-Mobile store, extra gear has been pushed on me only once - and I use JoD, which I've heard the reps don't get commission for anyway.

Sales pressure for wireless tends to vary a lot on both specific store culture, and the area managers above them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

repeating posted:

last time i saw, the expectation for extended warranty/insruance was 85%

Yeah, it was 90% goal at one point with ATT. Without open enrollment.

The highest an insurance goal should be is about 60%. After that, you're just slamming people with it because it's the only way to hit the number. Some people just don't want insurance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I can just add $100 in credit to my $30 prepaid plan and walk out with a free phone?

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/web-to-retail

What the least terrible option here as a backup phone to run a few things iOS can't (Torque, USB-OTG tinkering) or as a Netflix-occupier for the kid?

They're all really bad phones. Maybe the K10?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

The paragraph of disclaimers at the bottom doesn't inspire confidence.

The first half of disclaimers is just "video speeds are capped at 480p (on cellular) and we may reprioritize you at anytime for network congestion."

The second half is a bunch of disclaimers so they don't get sued by companies on Wall Street.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

I've been out of country for a while and still have my Simple Choice North America 10GB (two lines for $100) and am researching all the changes that have happened over the past two years with TMobile. It looks like they've switched completely over to Unlimited One, and I'm wondering if it's a straight up upgrade or if there's any new catches I'm just not seeing and reason I would want to keep my current plan?

I mean, unless there is a promo unlimited for two likes on T-Mobile is $120 a month (with autopay), so it would depend on if you are going over your 10GB or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

iPhone Prices for TMO

There is also supposed to be a trade in deal for $300 for any iPhone 6 or newer.

Does T-Mobile usually make you put money down towards the higher priced iPhones?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

If you do the math, the financing is up to $720. Anything beyond that you pay up front.

Gotcha. Makes sense, just surprising since ATT and Verizon don't require it (and customers overall love monthly vs up front).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Any idea what's going on here? I got the bill for next month and my 2-line $100/mo T-Mobile ONE is apparently now 36% cheaper?

Also, our insurance with AppleCare+ dropped $4/month on both lines.

It tells me there are no changes on the lines or account, but the price is suddenly different. Our total used to be $184/month. Not that I'm complaining about spending $40 less a month, I'm just curious what changed.

Are your phones paid off? Given AppleCare is only two years, it would make sense as to why the bill and Apple care would drop off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best option here. There are two things I want:

1. The iPhone X

2. To switch to Verizon because the coverage where I'm at sucks and I'm losing it every time I go on a road trip or to see the inlaws, and at work.

I currently have a iPhone 8 plus, which still has about $600 on it. I talked to verizon today and we figured out the best method to this would be to pay off the iphone, then switch to verizon, then buy the X through apple, then sell the 8 while it's still new and people are searching for a slightly cheaper one online.

My concern is that my husband who works at apple says that usually you can't use a tmobile phone on verizon because of the lack of CDMA, but the verizon representative believes that there is software now to make it compatible. So I'm going to try out a verizon sim card on it tonight to see if it will work.

I also heard that tmobile will be expanding its coverage by the end of this year so it makes me wonder if it's even worth switching.

Anyone else go through anything like this?

Yeah, the T-Mobile iPhone 8+ won’t work on Verizon.

Buy the 8+ from Apple is fine, just get the Verizon version (should default since that would be the carrier you select), but don’t switch to Verizon until the X comes in. Aka keep Service on T-Mobile until then.

Any questions or issues feel free to stop by the Verizon thread or PM me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

How much of a problem is lack of CDMA support on Verizon anymore given that Verizon's network is mostly VoLTE capable?

Very dependent on where you are. In Philadelphia there’s a very populated area in the suburbs where tower rollout has been limited (Verizon says by local government), so there are still pockets of 3G in an area right next to a big city as an example. Calls get dropped if you are using VOLTE only and driving down the street. Also, there are likely more rural areas still getting some of the rollout.

The other thing is Verizon won’t accept a phone for VOLTE, it has to be compatible. So even if you could argue the iPhone 8+ can be programmed just for VOLTE, Verizon just doesn’t offer that option.

CDMA probably has another 2ish years of life, for better or worse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Family member of mine is looking to switch two lines to T-Mobile, are they running any promos right now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

glassyalabolas posted:

Here's some ways to lock down your account more.

https://www.t-mobile.com/company/privacy-resources/account-security/account-verification.html

Be warned that a lot or CSRs are not well versed in this yet.

Asking for drivers license in store is a really good thing, and most carriers have been doing it for a few years , yet there are still people every day who are like “why do you need my drivers license?” I’m just like “would you rather I let people potentially steal your info?”

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is 5g a real technological thing or a branding thing

Both.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Does any informed consumer still use Sprint outside of Project Fi and SERO lifers?

Paging a 3 paragraph defense of sprint from EdEdandEddy (sorry if I got your username wrong).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Tmo has the worst b2b side i've ever encountered.

Have you never talked to Sprint?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

utonium posted:

Good lawd, I just had a real scare. I logged into my My T-Mobile account on my browser to look at something or other, clicked on the Plan tab at the top, and saw a flashing warning that I had pending changes to my account. I only have one line with T-Mobile ONE, but it was showing that in 3 days, my $70 ONE account was being removed, and a new ONE at $120 was being added. Customer support said it was a family plan, but couldn't find when that change was requested.

I sure as poo poo never requested it, though. The last interaction I had was a little over a week ago when I added a port out passcode. But the CS rep canceled the pending change, it isn't showing up any more, and he agreed that it was loving weird.

Change your account password just in case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do you have to do anything to trigger the 2 for 1 deal on S9s? The terms say you need to pay via installment plan at 0% APR, so okay, I'll add $30 to my monthly bill and not pay $720 up front. But I'm all the way to the point where I'd enter my credit card, and there's no actual confirmation that I am doing a 2 for 1 deal here. Is it just automatic?

I don’t know for sure, but a lot of the time a BOGO requires one line to be an add a line. Are you a new or current customer?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

New customer, will port 2 numbers from Verizon. I'll have to call T-Mobile today to check. $720 is a lot for a may or may not.

Then you should qualify, but always call and check.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

$1 off a medium milkshake like why bother

I’m cool with freely weekly video rentals or w/e

The better promos may not be sustainable price wise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the roaming possible now or when it’s official?

Sprint phones can probably roam on T-Mobile , but not all T-Mobile phones can work on sprint. For instance, T-Mobile sold iPhone 7, 7+, 8 , 8+ and X all are non Sprint comparable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’m trying to think of my favorite memories selling sprint for 3 ish years.

- Showing customers a map of the new 4G WiMAX coverage, and explaining that dark green was in building coverage, light green you still got coverage, but only out doors.

-4G WiMAX phones lasting 4 hours when you left 4G on.

-the day they turned off Nextel. Customer came in complaint their 12 business Nextel phone didn’t work. We sold them 12 sprint “walkie” phones. Customer came back next day after finding out they didn’t work because Sprint has half the building penetration of Nextel.

-selling those drat sprint replacement walkie phones. Sprint relies heavily on Verizon roaming (especially at the time). But with the new sprint Nextel’s, as soon as they jumped on roaming, walkie didn’t work until you power cycled the phone.

-selling the dual screen Kyocera Echo. Google it.

-every time you activated a Blackberry, the only way to get it to work was to do a full factory reset.

-as the above poster said, just how bad the network poo poo the bed once the iPhone became available. I vividly remember pulling over to give google maps time to load.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

What the gently caress???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0f4-FM95Q

(Note: that video came out only a year after the device launched.)

I think I only ever sold 3 Echos in my life. And 2 were def after they went to basically free. I got to use one for a few months though. I almost wish I could have kept it.

Edit: I forgot to mention: the battery life on the Echo was so bad that they included s 2nd battery with it in advance so you wouldn’t have to worry about battery life. Also, this was when 4G was seriously ramping up, and it was 3G only.

Edit 2: also, Sprint literally paid David Blain to do some performance to introduce the phone.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

T-Mobile is going to continue being T-Mobile, and Sprint is going to finish its descent into second tier status as it quietly merges with Metro PCS. I don't think you should look at this deal as though the two companies are somehow obligated to have their qualities meet in the middle.

Well, the difference is that Son owns sprint, and that guy is going to want a say in the merged company. That being said , he hasn’t caused the Sprint train wreck, he was just dumb enough to buy it, so I don’t think you can quite say it’s his fault or he will make bad decisions with it yet.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 30, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Because then people would just add vets to their account for the discount.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I currently have service with another carrier, and I want to purchase a new, unlocked iPhone 8 and join T-Mobile. I want to purchase the phone outright, and not finance/lease it from Tmo.

Should I buy unlocked from the Apple Store, then go to a Tmo store? Will Tmo sell me an unlocked device if I purchase from their store? What is the best course of action?

My current phone is owned outright and I am not under contract.

Last I checked T-Mobile sells their phones locked. If you go to Apple , buy it outright, then go to T-Mobile you’re fine.

Note that their are two iPhone 8 models Apple sells. One only works on T-Mobile and ATT, One works on those two plus Verizon and sprint. The unlocked one should be the latter, which is A1863, but I would double check when you get the iPhone.

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-8-plus-model-number-differences/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seiyal posted:

So, a bit of a two-fold question here so feel free to tackle either part.

I've been with T-Mobile for quite awhile here but only with a flip phone. I had the $50 plan before downgrading to the $40 monthly plan (since I wasn't using any sort of data and I can still pull up webpages with the phone I've got) However, I've going to be flying here to visit family soon and said family has no internet, at all. I will probably need internet to deal with work-stuffs and it tends to come in at all points of timing. (aka no just accessing the local library, etc) So, my questions are as follows:

1) Since these things don't seem to exist much anymore, is my better option to finally just own up and get a smart phone so I can tether to it during my trip and allow my computer (a Macbook Pro, if it helps, mid-2012) to connect to it or are there actually still some wi-fi boxes out there to rent/buy to use temporarily?

2) If it's just smarter to go the tethering route, is there any particular phones out there to aim for? (Since my laptop's a Macbook, I don't know if it'll be easier to tether to via an iPhone or if Apple's walled garden doesn't allow that.)

3) Also, if I need to get a smartphone, I'm probably going to need to tweak my plan to allow for more than 500mb of data, etc. Is there a certain plan or plans to aim for?

It's a lot to ask, I know, so please feel free to ask me to clarify things as needed. I've got about a week and a half or so to figure this out in, so there's still a bit of time. I appreciate any and all advise you all can give, so thank you in advance for the help!

A phone plan is usually cheaper than an hotspot on plan (they do make those WiFi boxes).

Quick random option: some libraries do rent mobile hotspots (WiFi boxes). See if your local library has one.

T-Mobile charges $70 for a smartphone with data, $80 for smartphone with data with hotspot. They offer a discount if you were ever in the military. It looks like they have a prepaid plan that is $50 for 10GB that offers mobile hotspot, that could be a better option.

iPhones don’t block tethering anymore. That being said, a Motorola G5 or G6 is the best “budget” phone. It’s like, $200-250 and works well. Anything you see cheaper than that will be bad.

An equivalent option, Verizon offers 7GB for $50 on prepaid, and they do have a sale where the iPhone SE is $160. So not a bad option either. iPhones are a good option, they’re just normally higher prices. The SE has been out s bit, but for that price, and the support from Apple you get, not a bad idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seiyal posted:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to verify if things work before hand due to the fact that there's no way to do that before my trip. I don't absolutely need the internet (it'd be nice to have, but I have plans in place if I can't access the net during the trip for that work) I can look into Verizon as an alternate for a box, since ideally, I'll be able to hand it off to the next people visiting family to use.

A cursory look at Verizon and T-Mobile shows that they have hotspots but the ones available seem to be in-store only (and backordered) So I may be back to either looking at upgrading my phone to make it a hotspot or just not having net for the week.

I had Verizon awhile ago and it was fine but the pricing on their hotspot was pretty abysmal (and not in-stores at the moment either way it seems) I do appreciate the information though, thank you very much for that.

Pretty much all Verizon stores have hotspots (aka Jetpacks), just FYI. A phone plan with hotspot is probably cheaper.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

So, my family and I are thinking of switching to T mobile because they're half the cost of Verizon.

My family has been with Verizon for a while now and I remember there being a lot of incentives to switch, so my dad and I are trying to discern the best way to make this switch work with us.

We currently have 4 lines, one of which is on device payment with $700 left. I have $100 left on mine. We were told they'd buyout device payment contracts from Verizon and let you keep the device if you switch, up to $650 per line.

So we're thinking of going into Verizon and getting all new devices on payment programs tomorrow, then switching to T-Mobile the day after and having them pay $650 on each of those devices.

Are we wrong that this will go down how we expect? I called and the dude was like "yeah, if it's on device payment we'll cover $650 per line to switch, but it has to be done in-store so check with them."

I'd like to get y'all's impression on this before we go in there because Goons Never Let You Down.

It’s def up to $650 , and I believe requires phone trade in, but it’s on whatever the balance of the phone is. So your phone will get credits for a full $650. Dads phone would get $100 or whatever the trade in value is on his phone, whichever is higher. Etc.

Check online to see if T-Mobile has other promos going as well. Looks like they still may be doing a BOGO.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/24/17776836/tmobile-hack-data-breach-personal-information-two-million-customers

They've got your address, phone number, account number, etc.

No Social, passwords, financial data.

If you were affected they are texting you.

Edit: Oh just got a text, guess they weren't done going down the list. Dang.

That’s fun. It’s a good thing they didn’t get the PIN numbers, all you need to take someone’s number in the US is the account number and PIN number. As it is, I see enough fraud at work (pretty much daily) so I’m sure this will only generate more of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look like apple is particularly going the extra mile outside a KB article on the nuances of dual SIMs so it's going to be up to the carriers to get it working. I expect many pain points for all support levels in this brave new world.

This is correct. And there are two bigger issues:

1. It’s easier to activate a SIM, so any sales person is going to do that over eSIM for most people, since most people will still just get one number.

2. Customers aren’t aware of eSIM, so no one will be asking about it.

The people working in cell phones learn most tech issues by dealing with them daily. Most wont activate eSIM mostly because they won’t know how to because let’s face it, it’ll be super rare in the US for quite a bit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

T-Mobile bought metro almost 10 years ago so :shrug:

I was going to be posting a “actually it was fairly recent,” response, but man, looking it up it was 2012, and while not 10 years, it’s close.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Not a terrible idea, didn't know if the pucks were better at distributing it or not. Thanks

They can be more useful in that you just turn them on and they work. Overall should be a similar experience either way. If it’s a really really crappy phone, it may jus tolerate slowly and piss you off that way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

not before we buy sprint and have to maintain the appearance of being competitive

ATT bought Time Warner and raised their rates in about 2 months.

ATT is a special kind of evil company, but yeah, T-Mobile is going to want to recoup the buyout / merger costs. Prices aren’t going down.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My family (6 lines) is still on the base tier 1GB a month Simple Choice plan w/ grandfathered T-Mobile Advantage discount through my employer. I'm looking at switching to the Essentials plan. It looks like I won't get to keep my Advantage discount, but if I port us off of T-Mobile onto AT&T for a month or two and get that employee discount (23%) then I can port back to T-Mobile and they'll then match the AT&T discount?

I hate stupid stuff like that where the best deal is to leave and then come back, but if the end result is getting unlimited data for essentially the same price as I pay for 1GB now I guess it might be worth the hassle.

ATT has the 23% discount listed, but it doesn’t apply to any of their unlimited plans. I don’t know what “matching” T-Mobile does, but I would bet they won’t match unless it shows on the bill, and the discount won’t show on an ATT (or Verizon) bill.

For better or worse (worse), carriers effectively killed work discounts minus military and first responders.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Untagged posted:

Does T-Mobile cancel your account when you transfer your number, like most carriers... Or do you have to call them?

In terms of “rules,” the carrier has to cancel the line when you switch , you can’t have your number on more than one carrier at a time.

But to be clear, it’s two different things. Your “line” is cancelled when you switch. Your “account” is cancelled when all lines on your account are cancelled. Which does make sense. 2 people have an account , and switch, both of the lines cancel, so the account is cancelled. 2 people have a fight, so one decides to switch , their line is cancelled, account is not cancelled because other stays active on account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I feel like they do these free line promos to just inflate their postpaid activation numbers for shareholders.

I'm not complaining. More just, trying to figure out whats in it for them...

What’s in it for them is inflated activation numbers.