Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have T-Mobile pre-paid, and after this next bill my account will be at about zero. I get a 19% service discount from my employer. Does this discount cover any additional data I add to my plan? i.e., $10/month for 2.5 gigs? Also, what is the easiest way to switch to postpaid and keep my number? I already have an Nexus 5, so I don't need a phone. I also have a few micro SIM activiation kits, if I can use those to do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Stick100 posted:

Why do you want to switch to post paid? Last I checked post paid was more expensive (even with 19% discount) for the same service and the only real advantage was roaming.

I believe there are normal taxes on post paid while there are none (except sales) with prepaid.

Is there normal tax on post-paid on top of the monthly price? I thought they figured taxes into the amount.

In any case, the montly cost of my pre-paid and the post-paid service I'd want are the same.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Cross-post from pre-paid thread:

Anyone do any international calling/texting on TMo prepaid?

I have a friend going to El Salvador for a few weeks, and she wants to be able to contact me. Does it just charge me extra per minute/text (less if I add the $10 international package)? Or do I need to have it set-up special?

edit: Additionally, I'm giving her my GSM Galaxy Nexus to use over there. Rumor has it that TMobile allows for international roaming on prepaid...could we activate one of my spare SIMs in it, throw some cash on it, and call it good, rather than purchasing a local SIM?

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 26, 2014

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It looks like I can add a $10/month add-on to knock the cost way down to .20/minute for calls, and free texting. That said, I'll probably just roll with texting at .10/per.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does T-Mobile give lower priority to their prepaid customers over their postpaid? I've noticed some texts coming through significantly later then they've been sent - hours.

If not, are there any benefits to going to postpaid over prepaid?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Alright.

I'd be bringing a phone, and it looks like my discount on service (15%) would just about cancel out taxes, so there would really be zero difference in terms of cost vs. prepaid.

I guess I could port my GV number back over and finally cut myself down to one phone number again, since I'll be postpaid and hopefully not have to worry about my number disappearing if I miss a prepaid refill by a day.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I ported my number into T-Mobile from google voice, and have discovered that I can't receive any text messages. Data/calls work fine, but texting is completely borked. Any ideas? Port went through on Monday. Texts from Tmo numbers seem to work.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

esperantinc posted:

So I switched to the nerd plan from AT&T today. Port went through without issue, calling is good, data is super fast, but texts...are weird. I can send and receive texts from folks on Verizon. My buddy with AT&T is getting texts from me, but I'm not getting his. Haven't gotten around to testing anyone with T-Mo or Sprint. Using my old Galaxy S4 that I had AT&T unlock for me yesterday. Didn't see any APN or other settings that looked off that could be causing this.

Anyone seen anything like this before I call into support?

How long has it been since you ported? Texts sometimes take longer to go through - when I ported into TMo a couple months ago it took an extra day or two before it finished. If its already been a bit, call customer support.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I know T Mobile isn't launching the N6 until next week, but did the stores with displays put those out, at least?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If I purchased a phone from a T-Mobile store, do I need to return it to the exact same store? Or can it be any T-Mobile store?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It's been really bad for me today, too, in addition to happening not infrequently in the past. If it wasn't for music freedom I'd probably switch, since this is some basic poo poo I need to work.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Further report on T-Mobile texting crap: Between 4 and 5 am last night, My friend received six text messages I had sent her during the day yesterday. Wonderful.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Teeter posted:

This is going on with me as well as of last weekend, and is really pissing me off. Today I had about 20 text messages come in at 9am that were all from yesterday.

I got on the support chat with T-Mobile and they acknowledged that there is a widespread issue with it but I got distracted with something while at work so they disconnected when I didn't respond to that. Has anybody got more information about what the problem is, when we'll know that it's resolved, or more importantly, how to get account credit or something? because gently caress this poo poo.

It's happening again? Wonderful.

I love everything about T-Mobile, except for when it fails miserably in something as basic as getting my text messages to me. Uncarrier, indeed. I could understand once or twice, but this has happened numerous times since I've switched to them, and it is getting to the point where I'm willing to lose Music Freedom/pay extra to get enough data and switch to AT&T or some poo poo.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I just broke my phone today. :saddowns: Cricket also hasn't been a fantastic experiment, and I deeply miss streaming music. I need a phone tomorrow, and I kind of want to switch back to T-Mobile.

I'm thinking about an iPhone. I don't want to get one through JUMP or regular financing since the new one comes out in a week, but if I get a iPhone 6 through JUMP! On Demand, will I be able to swap it in just a couple of weeks later? Also, can I buy an cheap T-Mobile prepaid device and use that as my trade-in for the promotional price?

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 12, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there a way to get out of a Jump! On Demand lease without either A.) buying the phone or B.) paying off the lease and turning the phone in? A friend got one of the the new Nexi and I'm completely sold on going back to Android now.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does the nerd plan include music freedom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I cancelled my T-Mobile account about 2 weeks ago. I had a device through Jump! On Demand, and I want to pay it off (the remainder of the lease and the purchase option) so that they will unlock it for me. I'm tired of waiting for my final bill to arrive - can I call them and pay the bill of that way so I can submit an unlock request?