Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Is there any place to see where T-Mobile has refarmed? Looks like airportal.de is down, any other place? I'm in a market with LTE, if that helps. And just to be certain, if 1900 has been refarmed for HSPA, I'll get HSPA (or maybe HSPA+?) on an unlocked AT&T phone, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

I think these days you can just go by which areas have LTE. They do the refarm as part of the LTE upgrade. And yes, all AT&T phones should support HSPA on 1900 MHz.

Great, thanks! Buying a used unlocked/"T-Mobile" Moto X is like $50+ more than even a sim-unlocked AT&T Moto X, and are much more likely to have really garish colors. Nice to know I can keep my eyes open for a good deal on an AT&T one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Namlemez posted:

OK, that sounds good and bad. Their trade-in value on a Galaxy S5 is about half of what they go for on Swappa, so it would be stupid not do your plan but now that means getting 5 tracfones and selling 5 phones on Swappa which could be a pain in the butt...

Selling things on eBay or Swappa is pretty minimal effort and will make you, what, $500-800 more than just trading them in, something like that?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WashinMyGoat posted:

My wife and I have been with T-Mobile for 4+ years. We have old non-smart phones, and an outdated plan. I lost my phone this weekend, so we are considering upgrading out phones and plans.

We both work in brick buildings with terrible phone reception, so I was wondering if the Wi-Fi calling is a legit solution for places with poor reception buy wi-fi connections (like our offices).

Also, how do they consider loyalty for customers in regards to having to buy a new phone? Most carriers with contracts offer "free phone with contract" and revisiting T-Mobile's plans shows some incredibly expensive phones if you buy through them. Do they wheel and deal and offer free phones if I'm considering switching to another carrier after 4 years of loyalty to T-Mobile?

"Free phone with contract" never meant the phone was actually free, you just had a subsidy for the phone rolled into your monthly plan in a completely opaque way. Even worse, you usually didn't get any discount on your monthly plan even if you didn't use the subsidy or didn't use it wisely. So for example, if you got a "free" 2 year old phone (actual phone cost ~ $200 let's say, so subsidy = $200) or a current flagship $200 subsidized phone (actual phone cost ~ $650, so subsidy = $450), you're getting a pretty awful deal taking the "free" phone. Or even worse, buying a susbidized dumb phone that was "free", but only cost $50 or $80 if you bought it off contract.

Carriers have moved away from that. T-Mobile will give you cheaper monthly plan prices and you can bring your own phone, like a used one that you got a great deal on buying locally or on eBay or whatever. Or you can always use the same system as before, buying a phone through the carrier, and pay it off through them, except now it is transparent what is happening and what exactly everything is going to cost.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 22, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Mango posted:

Could you give me a link to where you found a 2013 Moto X for $200 please? Update: Do you mean this Groupon listing, the XT1058? Will that XT1058 (which is labeled as being for AT&T) fully work with T-Mobile LTE?

And also, a brief explanation as to why the Moto X 2013 is so much better than the latest Moto E (because I sincerely know only a tiny bit about smartphones)?

Update 2: And I've read that if you use a non T-Mobile phone on T-Mobile, that you don't get some features, such as wifi calling. Is this still the case, and should that make me buy a smartphone that specifically says "T-Mobile" in the title?

No, eBay. Get the "developer edition" (XT1053), iirc. It has a massively better display, massively faster internals (so it will last longer), massively better camera, etc. You would be really silly to get an E for $150 rather than an X for $200. Once the E goes on sale for like $50, that will start to make it more of a choice.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Mango posted:

The prices that I'm seeing range from $220 to $250, with the lower ones being small-time Chinese sellers and the higher ones being small-time US sellers. In both cases the warranty or return policy may be questionable or non-existent.

Should I just say to hell with it and get the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant for $150? Absolutely not, gross Or the Moto E 2nd Gen LTE for the same price probably not, a Moto G is much better for only $200? At least then I won't have to worry about T-Mobile compatibility issues or warranty issues or whether it's been mislabeled as new.

See above. Waiting for an eBay deal to get a new LG G2 or Moto X for ~$200 is your best long term solution though. Either would last you much longer than the budget phones you're looking at. You shouldn't worry about T-Mobile compatibility, in the sense that you just figure out the model number you need and search for it (Moto X XT1053, LG G2 D801, etc). I'd personally probably get an awful and super cheap Windows Phone (Lumia 521 is $20 in stores at Target, supposedly) to last you a week or two and buy the next Moto X you see for ~$200 on eBay.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I visited a T-mobile location and we basically determined that you can't just have a data plan on a "phone." The system apparently sees that a device has voice capability and freaks the gently caress out. :( I don't think it makes any sense, but there's not a lot I can do about it. I just wanted a goddamn media player; a pocketable alternative to a tablet with a data connection. The Moto G is exactly what I need except that whole "being a phone" part.

I don't think any of the carriers let you do this, fwiw

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

used nexus 5?

Height of 5.43", clearly won't work haha

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

5.43 is less than 5.5, so that would work for him.

:eng99: Numbers man, they're like hard

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jose Pointero posted:

This there a Good Thing here that I'm missing?

The cost of your subsidized phone used to be bundled into the amount you paid every month, but it was done in an opaque way, and made it so you would still be paying for a device subsidy even if you did something like buy a used phone and activate it on your plan. Now the costs of buying a new phone are transparent. You can see that your iPhone never actually cost you $200, it cost you $200 up front plus some extra amount per month. Now you have the option to not buy a new phone and have a lower monthly payment!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure about turnaround time, but both have it now. I think the 2014 was much quicker to get it, but I could be wrong. I have an LG, because the new Moto Xes for T-Mobile were out of my <$220 price range.

FYI, Verizon Moto X 2014 in like new condition has been $200 on eBay. Should work almost perfectly on either T-Mobile or AT&T, think it's only missing one minor T-Mobile band, for example. I just got one and it is 100% like new, perfect condition. http://slickdeals.net/f/7980321-motorola-moto-x-2nd-gen-xt1096-verizon-gsm-unlocked-refurbished-199-99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Millions posted:

I'd be trading in a 32gb iPhone 5C

That should sell for way more than $116.