Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

I just received a MMS date-stamped Dec. 31st, 2015. Thanks, T-Mo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

I'm getting thanked out of the blue with a UPS tracking email. It's not the free T-shirt because that already arrived. Was there some other T-Mobile Tuesday gift I forgot or something?

isndl
May 2, 2012

How's that deal work if you already have three lines? Article says "existing customers with at least two lines can add two more free.", can I get the third line switched over to free or do I need to do some kind of 'add a new line, remove the old one' rigamarole?

isndl
May 2, 2012

There's no way to save money if you're an existing customer with 3 lines on the Simple Choice plan. Can't do the 20% off deal, can't switch to ONE because the plan jumps to $140 with a third line, can't cancel an existing line for the free line because that voids eligibility, being on Simple Choice means getting the free line and waiting the year before I can cancel a line without voiding the free credit will cost me $60 in taxes minimum.

I am not feeling Thanked, T-Mobile. I already lost a $5 credit a couple years back when I switched the account into my name and lost out on the extra share of stock because it technically was a new account. :smith:

isndl
May 2, 2012

New customers only. :sigh:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ah, missed that part. Can't find any details on whether having a senior on one line is sufficient or if they have to be the primary account holder, I'm guessing the latter?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Well excuse me for not finding the full plan details on mobile, I scanned through the press release twice more before my second question and clicking the 'see full terms' on the linked page didn't tell me anything. Next time I'll research it on my desktop so I can see the whole page.

isndl
May 2, 2012

If you're logged into someone else's account that might as well be considered a data breach, particularly if you can pull up names, addresses, and payment details.

isndl
May 2, 2012

I've used my T-Mobile plan internationally without significant issues in half a dozen or so countries across Europe and Asia. Data does get throttled but it's still sufficient for using Google Maps or browsing the forums, just don't do anything image-heavy. Free international roaming + texting is a pretty solid deal for anyone who expects to be traveling.

I have noticed that sometimes I'll end up roaming onto a network that doesn't do data, but it's rare and mostly fixable by setting a preferred network. One time I had to tweak my APN settings for some reason to get roaming data, no idea why.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Once I went in to get a replacement for my dying jank phone and asked to see what they had for a rebate deal that was going at the time. Months later the rebate application was rejected because the phone didn't qualify. The new phone was pretty janky too.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Meanwhile I have a notification telling me it's Tuesday and to open the app for rewards that I can't claim yet because TMobile forgot time zones exist.

isndl
May 2, 2012

FolioFirst wants me to either unlock brokerage features for $5/mo or pay $15/yr annual maintenance for my one share of T-Mobile stock? This is some bullshit, I don't even know why they transferred my share over there in the first place.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Transferring to another brokerage would make sense if I actually had a brokerage account somewhere, this is pretty much the only stock I have. Guess I'm cashing out.

isndl
May 2, 2012

wormil posted:

Maybe if companies were held responsible for data breaches they would tighten up security.

This is incredibly naive. Perfect security is impossible, especially in a system where no amount of programming expertise can defend against social engineering attacks. Furthermore, how can you accurately assign liability when different hacks expose the same information and it might be a couple years before someone works their way to your data in the millions of entries in the database dump they purchased a year after the hack?

That's not to say the system can't be improved (I'd like to see identity theft protection provided as a government service akin to healthcare) but griping that 'companies aren't being held responsible' completely ignores the challenges involved.

isndl
May 2, 2012

I'm having an issue where calls don't seem to be going through properly while I'm at my house (Seattle area). I can make a call from my phone and it mostly works aside from a 5-15 second delay (with no dial tone, so kinda awkward), calling myself from a landline goes straight to voicemail after a while. This is on 4G service, switching to 2G seems to make calls work as expected but switching is a pain in the rear end and I shouldn't have to do it.

My sister has been running into the same thing and talked to T-Mo support months ago who told her to switch to 2G when she's expecting calls until they fix something on their end but it clearly hasn't been fixed. Who should I be talking to (store rep, online support, phone support?) and what should I be telling them to get this resolved?

isndl
May 2, 2012

I don't mind waiting until next week or whatever if a store rep is a better choice. We don't get a lot of calls but it is annoying to realize you have voicemail from a call that never rang. Speaking of which, the voicemail notifications seem to be delayed sometimes but I'm not sure if that's related.

I have a Sharp Aquos S3 High Edition, she has I think a HTC U10, both purchased internationally. We're on the same account. I know the phones don't have complete band coverage but the phones report bars and high speed data works. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Standard postpay One plan. I'll have to double check with my sister to make sure I have the correct details for her phone but my own phone has support for bands 2 4 5 12 of the ones listed in your pic, just not 66 or 71.

e: although looking more closely I have 1900mhz listed under 2G/3G and as band 39 under 4G, maybe that's the trick.

isndl fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 23, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012

My MMSC field was blank so I filled that in and the APN type was missing mms,xcap, but adding those and rebooting the phone hasn't fixed the calling issue. As far as I can tell this phone doesn't support WiFi calling so that shouldn't be an issue, there's no option for it anywhere in the settings and turning off WiFi before calling the phone didn't change anything.

I checked the BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings and the info they have there matches the screenshot you posted, and the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer states "Non-T-Mobile phones will work on T-Mobile's 3G / 4G if they support Band II (1900) and/or Band IV (1700/2100)" and I do have band 4 support for certain, so I dunno.

isndl
May 2, 2012

The tower I'm connected to is on band 4, there's a couple other towers nearby listed as band 4 and a couple towers even further away with band 12. If I drop down to 2G service I'm connected to a different tower than the first one (a bit further away) but it's also listed as band 4. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell. App does confirm no VoLTE or Wifi calling functionality, maybe TMo is trying to serve incoming calls via VoLTE?

The weird part to me is that I can totally call out fine, I just can't receive any. Got another call that went to voicemail without ringing today and I was able to dial voicemail to hear it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Have to play with this DIGITS bullshit because the old web-based voicemail system is apparently gone with no warning. :sigh: No, I don't want to install another browser or enable location sharing just for your snowflake app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Just get a budget phone or tablet to use as a hotspot then? It's not like you care much about the specs if it's not going to be running apps.