Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If we are already on tmobile, could we transfer a google voice line, then do a transfer of liability of our other numbers to the account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know about the transfer part but the number I ported in was from google voice and that caused no issues. You need to unlock the phone number on google voice (it's $3 one time fee) then go about the transfer as usual. The service account if your number and the rest of the information if your google information. There is no passcode/password for the unlock process (they'll ask for one).

thanks, yea its already unlocked when i did a free phone from verizon port but the number never ported. Guess ill have to ask an employee if her iphone 7 credits carry over.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Daily Forecast posted:

oh hey sup I work for T-Mobile now.

I think I posted in this thread about wanting to get a job there, and I went out and did it. woop

I kind of legit loving hate this, I won't lie. Every day at least one person gets angry at me for the $20/$25 (our older sim cards still only charge $20, the newer ones shipped to us cost $25, so sometimes you get lucky) additional charge on their transaction. I feel like I kind of have to mumble through it because it feels so dishonest. "Okay, so your total comes out to $xx.xx, which is the $xx.xx down payment, $xx.xx for the full tax on the cost of the device, $xx.xx for your accessories, and then the$25upgradesupportcharge"

I mean, it's only an extra $25 on top of the loving $900 smartphone you're buying so it's not that big of a deal but at the same time I totally understand why it makes people mad, because it feels like money that vanishes into nothing just for the sake of buying some share holder another ferrari or where ever the gently caress that money goes, I dunno.

edit: ha ha haaaaa I haven't posted on SA in a long time and I totally forgot about the avatar/text that someone in the Android thread was assblasted enough to buy for me. Love it.

Yea, just signed up my wife an account for the 20% for us all to move over too from my tmobile account. Sucked we had to drop $25 for a sim, especially when i used to buy them for $5 from bestbuy. But we will make it up in a month.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, just switched from ATT. Thanks for the input/help from this thread. Kindly asked if anyone had a hookup code. The guy was bummed I wasn't porting over multiple lines or anything, nice guy though.

If anyone was wondering, if you get your iphone carrier unlocked, you don't have to restore or anything. Simply putting in the new sim was all that was needed, didn't even have to restart. Then just sign back into your icloud.

If you didn't get a code keep an eye on reddit, you can apply the code after you signed up as long as its in the promo period.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wow, got approved for the pixel promo even though I bought it over 30 days ago. thanks tmobile

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

They started that a while ago didn't they? iPhone 5?

Yep, i phone 5 was the first one i believe.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Galaxy S8 is BOGO starting tomorrow. Must open a new line of service.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Any chance I could get that retroactively? I purchased a S8+ like three days ago.

Return and rebuy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Can't answer that for you. Sorry.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can pay one of the lines off with the mastercard (and cancel the line)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

nimper posted:

Do you get the mastercard same day?

6-8 weeks

So lets say you already got 3 lines. Adding a 4th line is $20/m -$10 kickback if its not being used.

You could get the phone and pay tax ($70 here). Pay for the new line for 2-3 months ($20-$30) get the mastercard, pay off the EIP and sell the extra phone for $650 or so. Which would net you ~$550

If you don't want either phone then sell the other phone as well and still make $400 or so (after selling both and paying off both eips)

Its a sweet deal.

You would probably also get two entertainment packs from samsung and two gearvr tmobile kits.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 11, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are a costco member there is no activation fee and its $0 down (or atleast it was this week)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I'm guessing the AutoPay discount takes a few cycles to show up? Just had my first T-Mo bill get autopaid (and I'm on the 2 for $100 plan) and it wasn't discounted $10.

Contact tforce on Twitter and they will adjust it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Heck i just started getting my pixel credit the month i got an s8.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Does T-Mobile usually make you put money down towards the higher priced iPhones?

They want to maintain ~$30/m so you will often see the lowest for $0 and then you pay extra up front for the higher ends.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Everyone gets the movie ticket bro

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

utonium posted:

I am not a T-Mobile customer, and I have many questions.

First, on the topic of SIM cards -- I was with Sprint from '09 until this August, and now I'm on a Sprint based MVNO (Twigby), so this is a fuzzy area for me. I have a Sprint branded LG G4 that up until June was under contract and carrier locked. Once out of contract, I unlocked it, and thought I'd see if I could use a GSM SIM in it since I read some people had a little success with it. I ordered a $10 T-Mobile SIM starter kit on Amazon, who calls it a Prepaid kit, even though the packaging doesn't say Prepaid anywhere. But I activated it with the super basic Pay As You Go, just to try it out around my area for a few days.

I had some trouble editing APNs (thanks Sprint) so I bailed on this T-Mobile experiment, but I really liked the phone number they assigned me. Thinking it might come in handy in the future, I ported it from T-Mobile and into Google Voice as my new GV number. I still have my main number on Sprint / Twigby through all this, by the way.

So now: I've ordered a new Pixel 2, and would like to take advantage of 1) the $325 gift card Pixel 2 promo, and 2) the T-Mobile Advantage program since I'm eligible for it through work based on my e-mail address. I'd like also like to 3) port my main number to this new account.

Is this T-Mobile SIM I messed with this summer any good for anything since I ported that number away? Can I use it in the Pixel when it shows up, and just call T-Mobile and try to tell them what's up? Or is the SIM completely worthless now? Should I just pay the $25 to order a new SIM card kit through the T-Mobile Advantage website?

You will get a new sim. Sims are not reused.

If you have a costco membership they can do free sims.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Beefstorm posted:

I did not know that about costco memberships... That is useful.

Yea, its membership wireless kiosk in the store. I think all of them have them. No $25 upgrade/sim charge or $25 byod sim charge.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Meldonox posted:

Am I reading this correctly that I can go to Costco with a new phone as an existing subscriber and they'll activate it for free? I was concerned I'd have to go to the corporate store and pay to activate it.

If you are using an existing line with a new phone just swap the sim. But yes if you are setting up a new BYOD line you can do it there with no fee.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Meldonox posted:

It's a different size sim, is my only problem.

Ahh not sure about that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If anyone was gonna do the pixel 2 promo and hasn't added a line yet, well you are screwed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

utonium posted:

Yeah, you told me in the Android thread that I should log in to my account to see if the line was there except -- I have no account to log into yet. Last week, I went through the T-Mobile Advantage site, purchased a $25 SIM postpaid SIM kit, added a T-Mobile ONE plan to it, and now the SIM kit is sitting in front of me. I got emails about my service agreement and order status, but I didn't see a T-Mobile phone number yet. Without that, I can't create a My T-Mobile account online, or step through the rebate promo page.

The return policy says I have 20 days from today to get a refund, so I guess I could just open this kit up and give it a shot? I can't tell if my line is activated from the time of purchase, or when I pop the SIM in and the line is "activated" then.

No rebate means no T-Mobile for me so this is some crummy timing.

The line is activated regardless of when you insert it into a phone i believe.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why not just add your mom to your account?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can sign her up then transfer your line to her account.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a simple plan that would be good for an older person? My grandma needs a new phone since she's still on an old keyboard dumb phone that's dying but I don't want her bill to jump drastically by adding data. Right now she pays about $35 for unlimited Talk & Text.

Add her to your account you ungrateful brat.

Or get her like project fi or a prepaid provider.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chaotic Flame posted:

Thanks! I don't have T-Mobile (I'm Project Fi) but while she was here I just happened to see she was having issues getting group texts and pictures from other family members since she doesn't have data on her plan (according to her) and she told me she was paying ~$35 for this non-data plan with a non-smartphone through T-Mobile. I'm thinking I'll get her an updated phone when I visit her in February but wanted to know if there were comparably priced plans with data so her bill wouldn't change because she likes the price point. She won't be using data that much but just being able to get all the family group texts, pictures, etc. would be appreciated.

Prepaid may be the way to go it seems.

If she is like a super super low user look at ting

https://ting.com/rates

100 minutes/100 texts/100mb a month would be $15/m

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Quidthulhu posted:

Man I’m paying $177 a month for me and my mom’s phone. What are all these $15/mo plans and why is TMobile always ripping me off :/

$177/m with who?

You guys financing a bunch of phones?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wormil posted:

Why do text messages for security reasons not work 75% of the time? Like when a company wants to verify it's you and sends a text message to your phone, it never works. Is that a t-mobile thing or does it not work for anyone? I get normal text messages just fine. It's been a problem as long as I've been with TM, so 10 years across many different phones.

Ask tforce. Prob an account block

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wormil posted:

Account block for what? Is there a setting for block most but not all security related texts?

I assume t force is customer service.

It's how the texts are sent. Tforce is TMobile help on Twitter

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Which tmobile tuesday do we get backpacks?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You will have to return and rebuy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

E2M2 posted:

Man I missed the BOGO Galaxy S9 deal. Any chance they bring it back in a few months?

Tmobile constantly does bogo. Wouldn't surprise me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Daily Forecast posted:

but a vet being an authorized user doesn't qualify for the military plan

Because then people would just add vets to their account for the discount.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TMobile has BOGO iPhones right now. You should buy from t mobile and get two iPhones.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It's so people don't pay vets to be on their account.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So I have two lines on the tmobile one or w/e plan with unlimited everything. I got that lifetime 20% discount they were giving out a while back. Do I lose that if I switch to the tmobile military(veteran) one plan? I guess in the end I’d save more money on the military one anyway?

Yes you will lose it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Per line. There is no shared data or minutes or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

T-Mobiles credit check determines 24 or 36m financing. No one has any control over it.