Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm looking at upgrading and can't decide on a Galaxy S5 or an LG G3. I'm using the LG G2x crapphone, so either phone is going to be an improvement. The G3 looks good to me because I'm a total whore for expandable storage space, but I'm seeing problems with battery life? Help, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Fruit Chewy posted:

So I ordered the BYOD sim kit from the tmobile site a few days ago and wanted to activate it just now but didn't have the code card on me - just the SIM. I called their prepaid activation line instead to activate since they don't need the code, and was told that the "walmart" nerd plan was only available if I actually had an activation code from walmart. Considering my sim kit was from the website, and not from walmart in the first place, am I going to have to do something stupid to actually get this plan? Or will it also activate with the t-mo.com sim kit activation code?

You should be able to activate it on the website, just choose the dork plan from the choices IIRC

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Question: Does UPS require a signature when delivering a T-Mo phone, or will they just leave the package in a discreet area?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I didn't think that my new phone would come with a SIM, so I wasted 10 bucks to buy one. the hell.

edit: somehow going from regular hspda to LTE took my usage from 6 gigs to 10 in a single day.

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 14, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Do any Tmo goons have any knowledge of upcoming phone promos for longtime (7 years) customers? My sister-in-law just came down with a sick case of phone envy recently.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I have unlimited 4G LTE and my phone just warned me that I hit the 20gb mark. Is this local to my phone or is T-Mo really warning me?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Uthor posted:

MMS works over cellular data? I thought it was designed to be used by dumb phones and worked like a regular SMS messages.

So is there no way to send/receive picture messages without a data plan?

IIRC it is a part of the texting messaging part of the plan. your cell data just needs to be turned on.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Uthor posted:

This is from almost a month ago, but, yeah, this did the trick. Now to be sure that she doesn't go over the data limit.
:ohdear:

Windows Phone seems to have some data management software built in, so hopefully that keeps it under the monthly limit.

Glad I could help. I think MMS in general compresses photos no matter the camera resolution anyway so the data usage shouldn't be too bad.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I must be in that rare group because my usage this month is already at 50GBs.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

What is the point of 2G if nothing fully loads on it, not even regular web browsing?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Rastor posted:

I'm having a problem on T-Mobile right now where if I roam from LTE to 2G nothing works, but if I go into the cellular network options and switch the network type preference to 2G I am able to do basic web browsing. I called T-Mobile but the representative didn't seem to believe me or fully understand, just kept saying that 2G is very slow compared to LTE.

I would bother to call back hoping for a more technical person, but I almost never roam out of their LTE coverage and if I do I have the manual workaround.

Yeah I'm out in the boonies visiting family, barely getting any 4g at all. I might try changing those settings you mentioned.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Ramadu posted:

So heres a dumb question. How much do I need to pay when I sign up for a plan? Can I walk in, sign up for the 50/mo plan and walk out?

I believe you have to pay taxes on your new phone, if you get one? Maybe an activation fee too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ruby idiot railed posted:

Loyal customers already on Unlimited 4G can apparently go get hosed.

The next level up should be unlimited tethering.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The Mango posted:

I talked to a T-Mobile CSR today and they said I can switch to the nerd plan and use my existing $65 balance.

As much as I love T-Mo I'd be wary of anything an internet CSR says. I remember trying to figure out things for some changes to my account, and at least TWO CSRs said they could and did make the changes I requested. But when nothing happened I called Customer Service on the phone and that rep said that the internet CSR didn't have the authority to do what I asked. :psyduck: This was about a year ago, so YMMV.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I DO WHAT I WANT, MOM :getout:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

UserErr0r posted:

Music streaming in what form? Do I have to use a specific service like Pandora or Spotify? Because I play my music over Google Play

Most streaming music services qualify, as does Google music, but I would double check to be sure

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Burden posted:

Everyone got a 2GB boost a month or two back if you were on an unlimited plan.

cool, didn't know this at all

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Did t-mo phase out unlimited data plans?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

DoctorWhat posted:

So when they say "unlimited" data in the OP, is it actually unlimited? That seems too good to be true.

And on the 5gb/10gb, there's no overage, right? Just throttling?

Yep.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Qwijib0 posted:

Probably not, but even if you could you probably wouldn't want to, binge on launches at 480p.

Does this mean locks the resolution on your video apps?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Will I be able to turn Binge On off and on at will, or is there a set time that I have to keep it one way or the other?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I must live in a cool area because I've never been throttled despite being over 21 gigs. :cheers:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Burden posted:

Correct you have it enabled. If you add back Bingeon disabled it will turn it off.

This turned out to be really confusing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The best part about this link is some guy attaching his real name to his twitter handle "Sonikku_a"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

how do I use free baseball?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I have to redeem the pizza on a Tuesday?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

If you have Binge On activated and have unlimited high speed streaming stuff shouldn't count against your tethering bucket.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Quidnose posted:

The only thing I think you'd really need unlimited for is if you're using a Plex Server or something similar to stream a lot of media constantly. I am having to change my habits from that to just enjoying Spotify, and so far I am loving the free music & video services, but I am also going to sit on my 10gb plan for 1 or 2 months to see how far under I go before I drop to a lower gig plan.

The other nice thing is that any data you don't use each month rolls over to a pool for usage your next month, capping at I think 10gb? (Someone can correct me). So my plan is to do this for 2 months, build that pool, switch to a lower data plan, and see how I do.

And also there are no overages so even if I do end up going over I'm just getting slower internet, not a bunch of charges. Wooo~

Please tell me if anything is wrong I am a new and happy customer :3:

I believe the softcap for unlimited is 21 gigs? I can't believe anyone's gotten that close.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

That is only for new subscribers, right? Can they force me out of my current unlimited non-bingeOn tether at LTE speed plan?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Is Deutsche Telekom still trying to sell off T-Mo because they hate it?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Panama Red posted:

Recently switched to TMobile for the Unlimited One plan. Just saw this today: http://www.businessinsider.com/t-mobile-fcc-reach-48-million-settlement-unlimited-data-plans-2016-10

How bothered should I be with this? Do I have to be using an insane amount of data for my connection to slow to a crawl?

I believe the softcap for T-Mobile is 21 gigs for them to really hate you.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I was at a T mobile store last night and they had a poster saying that they consider >26 gb as high use and grounds for speed capping.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

What's a good phone to get that still has a removable battery and expandable memory?

edit: I want to buy a phone straight out, and not be on a payment plan or whatever.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

My moto g5 is arriving today! thanks for the advice everyone.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Does Verizon do GSM phones now? :corsair:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Are there any specific guidelines to follow when mailing a cellphone/battery? I want to send my mom my old phone as a replacement.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I’m confused. If I get the ZTE Quartz smartwatch, do I have to have a data plan for it? Can it just run off my phone?

I have an Asus smart watch and it gets its internet by piggybacking on my phone data via Bluetooth. It also can connect to Wi-Fi by itself.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Is 5g a real technological thing or a branding thing

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Is there any difference between pandora plus and Spotify premium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

That looks like a Mac vs PC commercial