Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nwin posted:

Hmm. If my 6s 64gb qualifies for $300, I might do that. Kinda doubt it will though.

6s+ is $200 credit iirc

if you call and ask them and want to be absolutely certain you can have them check document number 445060 and it has the list

dont ask me why i remember the doc # but not the actually contents :shrug:

Maneki Neko posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but is the free hour of in flight WiFi limited to one flight a day or anything weird? I normally just get direct flights for work, but Ive got a multileg coming up.

if you're on T-Mobile One rate plan you can just add One Plus for the month and get unlimited in flight wifi on all supported domestic flights :shrug:

Worf fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think all postpaid customers get that, at minimum those that have T-Mobile One plan

Been awhile since i looked into that specifically bc most people dont seem to care 🤷‍♂️

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tmobile will have to start unlock process. Just call their cust svc. Within 24 hours they'll email you instructions. Takes up to 48 hours after receipt of that email.

In this case after you get that portion completed all your friend will have to do is pop in his att sim and voila

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Internal company doc says that it removes video optimization from our end. This feature must be proactively enabled even if you're on One Plus via the website or app

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

effika posted:

Thanks for the info thread! Will likely end up back here when I finally say goodbye to Sprint- just need to make sure T-Mobile is no less terrible indoors than Sprint is.

internal coverage tool will show the power of each specific band/frequency to a particular address, with pretty accurate (in my experience) measuring of how well it works indoors

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blue Train posted:

the easiest way to do it would be to wait until halfway through your sprint billing period, buy a prepaid tmobile sim and month of service for it, put in the new sim and use it until the billing period is over, and then if you want to keep tmobile just port your sprint number to tmobile and stop using the prepaid sim

simple mobile is a tmo reseller that will give you an idea of what their coverage is like with cheap plans, the sim is 1 dollar and the cheapest plan is 25 dollars for the month with 3gb data. thatll be enough to give you an idea of the speeds etc. keep in mind that if you're in a congested area you can be deprioritized tho so you may not get the same speeds you would with tmo proper

important note on this since i didnt see anything on it

if the phone he purchased is through his carrier it will be sim locked to that carrier by default. even if it was purchased at MSRP up front it will be carrier locked. they will unlock it for you when you own it in its entirety but you'll have to proactively request it.

effika posted:

I've got a new phone coming in and it would be a good time to see if I liked T-Mobile before switching. Maybe I should just pick up a prepaid sim for a week or two to try it out? Will switching to post-paid be an issue after using prepaid for a bit?

if you're not going to keep your prepay number you're using to test out, you won't really be 'switching' to post pay. you'll be disregarding the prepay number you got and then just activating a separate post pay line entirely with all the usual steps (hard credit check, etc). you would effectively be an entirely new customer in every sense.

you can absolutely keep the prepay number if you're so inclined and that can be very easily switched into post pay- its the identical process in every possible way of activating a new post pay number from anywhere else.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

td4guy posted:

I bought my iPhone at full MSRP on Sprint's website last year. I was able to switch carriers and pop a T-Mobile SIM in without needing to do anythinug to unlock it.

First time I've ever heard of that being the case outside of Verizon :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

You don't need service to walk into a tmobile store and buy a phone

I also work for tmus, though not retail. But in the northeast you can just buy a phone. They just charge you more automatically at pos

The unlock thing isnt great but honestly i dont see how it would benefit the company to make it easier

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The only thing I could say is to meet your friend at the MetroPCS store and have them verify with you both that its not bound to any financing agreement or contract or whatever- assuming its his account

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Daily Forecast posted:

Thing is, if he's the first owner, even if you do that he could then still go and report it stolen and get it blacklisted.

I mean, I don't know why he'd do that for literally zero reason except to gently caress you over, but he could.

idk how metro runs their poo poo, but if i sell a phone for $400, then report it lost/stolen and pay an insurance deductible on it of $200, i've still made $200- and i get a phone back out of it too.

that seems like an awfully dumb way to make $200 but alas, people do far dumber poo poo for less money every drat second of the day.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nybble posted:

How liberal is the trade-in policy for T-Mobile? Looking to potentially trade in my iPhone 6 for the OnePlus 6T on Thursday, but it's on it's second battery and charging port.

Theyll check screen for cracks/lifting, water damage, and youll have to be able to remove find my iphone. That is the checklist.

Barring some special promo youll also get like 38-45 bux for that phone in a tmobile store

E: nice just saw that its a $300 trade in promo- awesome deal. Wish i had one to trade in as well now. Wonder if i can snatch a free one somehow...

Worf fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 31, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

weaaddar posted:

Will T-mobile accept non-US phones for trade-in? I have galaxy s7 edge duos which was never sold in the states.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-trade-in.html

if that model is on the list

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nine16thsdago posted:

i bought a couple of broken iphones on ebay, and combined the parts to make a working phone. apparently i picked the wrong 'guts' because the resulting phone is locked to t-mobile. can i request t-mobile to unlock the phone as a third party (i.e., i have no active tmobile account currently), or do i need to transfer all of the working bits over to the other phone (supposedly unlocked)?

t-mobile isn't going to unlock it for you if you arent the original account holder

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dont finance the phone for 3 years then :shrug:

tmobile is offering bogo lines of service to both new and existing customers, which is basically the only promo worth discussing rn. the $750 credit for a phone isnt bad if you have the appropriate phone to trade in

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

they come as bill credits over the length of time that you finance the phone for, so if you do 2 year financing its 2 years of credits. my laptop is in my car and I'm in bed so I can't bring up the doc on it right now. when I mobilize today I'll grab the deets on that promo + the financing and put them in itt.

I dont think we force 36m financing on anybody, in fact I dont even think all (well qualified) customers can do it necessarily. I'll find out for sure in a few hours when I get to the office

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nimper posted:

Is this the buy 2 lines get 1 free deal?

Its buy 2 get 1 for new customers, buy 1 get 1 for existing

nerve posted:

How many people can even take advantage of the add new lines deal? What am I gonna just start asking my friends to join my phone plan so I can get a tablet?

limit 1 per account for this deal but it does stack w other free line promos *assuming you dont have to change your price plan to take advantage of this promo (because old ones will drop off)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

most of the decent sales are gone in lieu of basically beating the poo poo out of the other carriers on value already :shrug:

this cannot be emphasized enough if youre in the military or a veteran/over 55

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pretty sure military is excluded from this line BOGO and I'm pretty sure it's voice line only.

The cancelation thing is getting stricter and stricter, I'll look at the verbiage exactly and report back before friday, since it is now late and I'm bed posting again

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Definitely don't go into a store for that this weekend if you value your sanity.

Phone support is going to be your best bet. Is your sister on the same account as you two? Also what phone do y'all have

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

isndl posted:

I don't mind waiting until next week or whatever if a store rep is a better choice. We don't get a lot of calls but it is annoying to realize you have voicemail from a call that never rang. Speaking of which, the voicemail notifications seem to be delayed sometimes but I'm not sure if that's related.

I have a Sharp Aquos S3 High Edition, she has I think a HTC U10, both purchased internationally. We're on the same account. I know the phones don't have complete band coverage but the phones report bars and high speed data works. :shrug:

If neither of those phones are band 12 supported , which they probably aren't, 99.99% chance nobody at TMobile will trouble shoot for you besides telling you to get a phone that actually is compatible

Gsmarena will tell you if those phones have those bands or not. What you're describing is basically indicative of lack of band support, though when you said it was both of you I thought it was possible to be an account level problem but frankly most account level issues manifest themselves in no data/calls only not the inverse

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

E: https://i.imgur.com/4Ocf5xq.jpg TBH it doesn't look horrible but what I said about most reps probably telling you to gently caress off is true :shrug: emphasise it's an account wide problem would be my recommendation .

E: that was not E

E2: what type of plan are you on ? Is it a no credit check family account or a postpay? Family NCC/group prepay accounts have these types of issues constantly and they're always getting escalated to bellevue

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 23, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

isndl posted:

Standard postpay One plan. I'll have to double check with my sister to make sure I have the correct details for her phone but my own phone has support for bands 2 4 5 12 of the ones listed in your pic, just not 66 or 71.

e: although looking more closely I have 1900mhz listed under 2G/3G and as band 39 under 4G, maybe that's the trick.

oh yeah i reached out to a colleague of mine actually and one of the things she suggested was that if you are using a wifi calling setting and its set to "ignore cellular" (in lieu of wifi) it could be causing this issue

still weird that its happening to both you and sister tho. the only other thing i can come up with is that if your e911 address isnt provisioned properly (you can change this through the web portal yourself iirc) and you're tryna use wifi calling there could be shenanigans happening w that.

its really tough with phones that arent either tmobile issue or like, iphones, basically, to diagnose these issues. dont worry about band 71 thats basically irrelevant to this conversation. but one thing you can do is probably get a tower analyzer app and it will tell you what towers are near you and what they're transmitting on

E: have you set the APN settings properly to t-mobiles?

https://imgur.com/a/D2dnn9x

those are mine and you can just transpose them slot for slot

both of you having hosed up APN settings because your phones are both not t-mo originals is a strong possibility. theyre supposed to get provisioned when the SIM is popped in but alas, ive seen this happen a ton.

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 23, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

download "Network Cell Info Lite" from android store i guess, itll tell you waht towers are in area transmitting on what frequencies. the phone(s) probably need to be reprovisioned to network

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

adorai posted:

I switched to Tmobile today. Moved 3 lines from AT&T, got a "free" iphone Xr in the process. However, after switching, I saw this third line free deal, which I don't think I got. Should I contact support? Can they fix this?

you got the deal, its automatically applied to new customers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

adorai posted:

When I look at my account online, it is $120 for the first two lines and $25 for the third. Definitely does not look like it was free.

its absolutely going to be free

itll be a line item of $25 with a second one of -$25

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

That level of confusion re: promotions and their pricing is something we're working to alleviate but it is considerably more difficult than you might imagine (probably, maybe you can imagine pretty good idfk)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

incoherent posted:

Really antsy for tmo to support the iPhone esims, properly.

going to be awhile before this truly happens and even longer before both call center and store reps know how to work with them on a systemic basis- if the esim on apple watches is any indication

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

I didn’t know there was a problem. I activated my S3 last Feb (?) through the T-Mobile app with zero issues.

I didn't mean with things like straight forward new-in-box activations

There's a lot of other stuff that people need to do that works like poo poo, unfortunately

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

On average it will be rare ues, this goes out the door in major metro areas or on the business side where we have a considerable amount of travelers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

2g high speed / unlimited throttled probably and the answer to your question re: hotspot is probably yes it will work.

i have a tablet sim in one of my phones right now and it works just dandy (it does not make calls however, but i dont need it to)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheWevel posted:

Is there a good hotspot I can get off ebay for her?

what kind of use are you trying to get out of it? any recent t-mobile phone, including the cheapos, should be able to run as a mobile hotspot.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

T-Mobile bought metro almost 10 years ago so :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Skeezy posted:

Question.

I really want to import the Galaxy S10e in Prism Green. Noticed it doesn’t have band 71 but it has the other T-Mo ones. How much would I be screwing myself without 71? Would the phone be fine signal-wise?

Depends on where you live

Band 71/600 MHz isn't rolled out everywhere

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Skeezy posted:

I don’t think it’s here in FL yet. I’m on 66 right now.

I have a full tower list somewhere but I am on the road right now. Our coverage is really good in Florida so I suspect you wouldn't have a problem. That being said I personally would never buy a phone without 600 MHz capability in 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Boxman posted:

I'm on a legacy Simple Choice w/ unlimited data plan. I'm a little more married than when I signed up, and we're looking at consolidating phone plans. That'd mean ditching this for a new T-Mobile One plan. Am I crazy, or is this the rare case where upgrading to a newer plan doesn't really lose me much?

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I'd lose the 5GB of tethering at 4G and streaming at HD, but gain the Netflix subscription? And I can get HD streaming and high speed tethering back with the One Plus add-on? (Also I can add that to just one line, right?)

You should get off simple choice and take TMobile one

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Excluding any free line promos you have your monthly bill with autopay and 4 lines is 160,iirc hookup is 20% off, totalling $32 discounted

If the other deal is One Plus for 4 lines included it would be "worth" more to have that... If you need those specific features, largely, 20gb hot spot being the big selling point.

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 25, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Astro7x posted:

Anybody else not getting the MLB TV offer today in their accounts?

I am in the T-Mobile Tuesday app

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am surprised every year they run this special because it’s too good to be true. One day they will stop and I’ll be sad.

not before we buy sprint and have to maintain the appearance of being competitive

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Maneki Neko posted:

All they want Sprint for is the spectrum though, the rest can get put into a landfill in New Mexico.

It's actually more complex than that , but yes we want their spectrum as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

No Butt Stuff posted:

maybe they want the giant rear end Sprint campus in Overland Park that Sprint can't even keep full of employees \_(ツ)_/

T-Mobile might be the superior carrier in terms of coverage and number of subscribers but Sprint still actually has a decent amount to offer outside of spectrum and subscriber base. As an example, their analog of my department has considerably more personnel and, of course, history in the region