Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Does T-Mobile sell pre-owned iPhone 5s or is there a reputable place to buy a used T-Mobile one?
Sometimes, but I don't see any inventory currently on their website.

Haven't had a reason to use it myself but I see swappa mentioned here every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

What is the point of 2G if nothing fully loads on it, not even regular web browsing?
I'm having a problem on T-Mobile right now where if I roam from LTE to 2G nothing works, but if I go into the cellular network options and switch the network type preference to 2G I am able to do basic web browsing. I called T-Mobile but the representative didn't seem to believe me or fully understand, just kept saying that 2G is very slow compared to LTE.

I would bother to call back hoping for a more technical person, but I almost never roam out of their LTE coverage and if I do I have the manual workaround.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think it will work on any US carrier. They sell phone plans and they sell tablet plans and they have established technical methods of distinguishing between a phone and a tablet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Back around late 2010 or so, T-Mobile and AT&T redefined things so that 3G was now called 4G and EDGE type speeds were now called 3G. It was stupid marketing bullshit, but at least they've been fairly consistent since then I guess?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile has posted the first list of devices which will support 700 MHz / LTE Band 12:

quote:

DEVICE LIST – PHONES – 700 COMPATIBLE

Galaxy Note™ 4 - Available now
Galaxy Note™ 4 Edge - Available now
Google Nexus 6 - Software update coming early 2015
ZTE ZMAX – Software update coming 2015
Samsung Galaxy Avant™ - Software update coming May 2015
Sony Xperia® Z3 - Software update coming May 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Aww yeah gimme dat sweet sweet (building) penetration. :huh:

Anyone know how many markets will be set up for it off the bat, if any?
No, T-Mobile has been secretive about the exact 700MHz locations for now, but they've promised some kind of map when they're ready to announce it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also you don't have to actually contact Verizon, porting your number away will suffice as serving them notice.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Oh one more thing: You probably don't want to buy anything from Motorola until February 2.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WashinMyGoat posted:

Thanks for the info. I've been happy with T-Mobile, especially since I have Ooma for a home phone and almost always have access to a PC or tablet with WiFi, but I figure it's time to upgrade.

Could my reception issues be because of the old ghetto phones we have, or should we expect more of the same even with new phones?

T-Mobile tends to use higher frequencies which don't penetrate buildings as well. They've been buying low frequency (700MHz) licenses at auction and are expected to be rolling out use of these frequencies this year, but it will take time and will only be in a few locations at first.

To use them you will need one of the phones on this list.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Using Band 12 lets them cover much more area with LTE than the frequencies they were using previously.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Band 12 compatibility list:

Rastor posted:

To use them you will need one of the phones on this list.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Could it be that the phone was doing a no data roam onto AT&T?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It sounds like they are raising the prices of almost all their plans. It's not a straight ripoff / cash grab because there is more data / bonuses in the new plans to compensate, but the result is T-Mobile's pricing tiers are going to be higher now.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...ncarrier-event/

SeANMcBAY posted:

My wife and I are on 2 lines unlimited everything for $100. Anyone know if we'll be able to keep that?
T-Mobile's policy is to grandfather in existing customers when they introduce new plans, so as long as you don't change anything, you should expect to keep paying what you've been paying.

tonic posted:

Yeah their pricing is going up again, wasn't unlimited $70 not too long ago?
I'm grandfathered in at $70, yes, but I think it's been $80/month for some time now.

If you want unlimited for $80/month instead of $95/month, get it done in the next 3 days before November 15.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Monday_ posted:

Is Binge On available on the nerd plan? When I go to "change your plan and services", I can check the box for it but nothing happens when I click next.
No, only plans costing $60 and more.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile has to keep the application process open and easy or they would be in violation of Net Neutrality principles.

That doesn't magically make the technical aspects easy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

With the new Binge On program, Data Stash is capped at 20GB. If you prefer to keep unlimited Data Stash and have video streaming count against your data, text DATAROLL to 6255 by December 15.

NOTE: if you select DATAROLL, you will be forced off your plan if you decide to opt in to Binge On free streaming later. You will have to choose a new plan from the currently available ones.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Astro7x posted:

I realize we all have unlimited data this month, but is there a limit on tethering?

Navigate to http://ma.t-mobile.com on your phone and you can see how much hotspot limit you have left.

If you have Binge On turned on then video streaming from supported services won't count as hotspot data.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Well this is incredibly disappointing.

T-Mobile announced last month that their coverage in Northern Michgian was greatly expanded. At my in-laws home it said that we have "4G LTE Good Signal"

I'd say that for the last 45 minute of our drive to the Petosky area we did not connect to the T-Mobile network at all. And we are forced to roam on AT&T when the coverage map says we have good signal.

Blah... Customer Service gave me and my wife 150MB of free roaming data to make up for it.

We were planning on switching her parents over to T-Mobile now that they added service to the area, but it appears that there actually is no service here.

Much of T-Mobile's expanded coverage is in the 700 MHz block, which requires your phone support it.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So the Galaxy S7 preorder page went live but I don't see how I would just buy it at full retail price without changing my plan. Is that something I'm going to have to wait for in-store availability to do?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

broken clock opsec posted:

The part of the site that checks your credit rating and plan information before letting you have the monthly payment plan is occasionally broken like that, from what I can tell. It was going to make me pay full price for my dad's top-spec iphone 6s+ last year, then I waited a few days and it went back to normal.

My dilemma is that my Jump! isn't up until March 26. :( Hopefully this doesn't dick me out of the free year of Netflix, but I think I'm boned on the free extra GearVR.

I think I figured it out, at least partially - I have to log in, then click on the "32GB" button under the picture of the phone - then an "Upgrade" button appears.

The free Gear VR offer says valid until March 18. Good luck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rumor is T-Mobile is going to do a buy one, get one free (with activation of new line) on the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge starting on March 11.

http://www.tmonews.com/2016/03/t-mobile-planning-samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-buy-one-get-one-free-deal/