Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

FCKGW posted:

To expand on this, they have the phone $100 off and they're doing a bonus $100 on trade in phones.
That means the cost to upgrade from a 12 Pro > 13 Pro is roughly $100 and you own the phone outright, no bill credits and you don't need to change plans.

I have a question about how activation works when you purchase through Best Buy like this.

I'm currently with AT&T (postpaid plan, but no contract and my current iPhone 8+ is unlocked). I really want to move to a prepaid plan eventually to save some money since I don't use that much data or care about 5G in my town. A few months back I tried to switch from AT&T postpaid to AT&T prepaid and the jerks would not let me port my phone number to a prepaid plan directly. They were gonna make me add it as a separate line with a new number, then after some wait period, I would be able to swap the number over and cancel the old postpaid line. I didn't bother because I didn't want to juggle two numbers.

I wouldn't mind switching to T-mobile, but I don't want to get stuck on one of their postpaid plans indefinitely. I checked out the Best Buy online preorder form and it looks like if I pay for the phone up front instead of using a payment plan, I get get the $100 discount for a new T-mobile activation, $160 for my iPhone 8+ trade, and an extra $100 trade in bonus. A $360 discount with trade-in seems good enough to me, but my concern is that I have to pick a T-Mobile postpaid plan (Essential, Magenta, or Magenta Max) as part of the preorder.

There's nothing in the fine print I can find about how long I have to stick with that plan. Will the phone be unlocked after activation with T-Mobile? Can I immediately switch over to a prepaid plan like like T-Mobile Connect? Could I even immediately switch back to AT&T on one of their prepaid plans?

The only thing I can find anywhere is this link explaining T-Mobile's unlock policy, which says that they will unlock a phone after 40 days of postpaid service:
https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

I'm ok with paying for a month or two of T-Mobile postpaid service. I just don't want to get trapped with postpaid plan rates for a long time or end up with a phone I can never unlock.

If anyone here knows how they're gonna screw me over if I try this, or can answer my question about lock-in, I'd appreciate advice. I tried doing a Best Buy live chat, but they said I needed to ask the carrier since the phone would be locked to them upon activation. I called the T-Mobile help and couldn't really get an answer out of them. They said as long as the phone is unlocked I can switch to prepaid right away, but couldn't tell me how to get a new phone unlocked since I don't have an account yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

I have a question about how activation works when you purchase through Best Buy like this.

I think I was able to answer my own question with some further digging. The answer is that I will be locked to T-Mobile for 40 days if I do the Best Buy deal. After that I can go anywhere. The cheapest T-Mobile plan I can pick is $65/mo for those 2 months, vs about $25/mo for prepaid with the data I need. So the extra cost would amount to $110 ($40x2 + $30 for another activation somewhere else after 2 months).

The total Best Buy incentive is $385 ($100 discount, $260 trade in, and about $25 of sales tax saved), and the net value is $275 ($385 - $110).

The other option is I could just buy the drat phone directly from Apple unlocked from day 1 and go wherever I want. Looking at the used market, I could probably get about $230 after shipping and fees if I sold my 8 plus on Swappa. Or I could trade in to Apple for $180. So in the end, the numbers come out to:
  • Save $95 ($275 - $180) if I buy from Best Buy, do a trade in, and do a carrier/plan swap after 40 days.
  • Save $50 ($275 - $230) if I buy from Apple and sell my phone the hard way.

It's probably not worth the hassle (and risk of something going wrong). I think I might as well just buy from Apple and go directly to a cheap prepaid plan in one swoop.

On the other hand, that $95 would just barely cover the cost of purchasing an apple case for my new phone :thunk:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Marching on Fort Sumter to move my wife to my wireless plan.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Maneki Neko posted:

Single line is tough, that doesn't seem to be tmobiles strong suit for good deals.

they have plenty of good prepaid plans that will more than pay the cost of a new phone in savings over a 2 or 3 year period compared to a $70+/mo magenta plan.

i get 6GB of data which is plenty as long as you’re not constantly streaming video on LTE/5G for $25/mo through t-mobile connect, and it doesn’t get deprioritized or suffer the jank of some of the other big MVNOs. compared to the magenta plan i was on for a few months to get a subsidy for my 13pro through a bestbuy promo last year, i’m saving almost $600/year for essentially the same service.

the only bummer is that the prepaid plans don’t let you add on a watch.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I did the $45/mo to fend off some of the de-prio and I’ll be about 40 minutes outside a major city in a few days. Future roomie has Verizon & says she gets good coverage in the area.

definitely curious to hear how this goes for you, i just switched from t-mobile prepaid to the $45 visible plan because they're one of the few prepaid plans that supports a smartwatch.

so far haven't noticed any data issues in the burbs, but haven't been to any dense urban areas yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thanks for the info.

i also ended up making a trip to Orlando, FL over the weekend and had no signal or data issue at all even in a pretty packed mall and the hellscape that is ikea. pleased with the visible service so far.