Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bisty Q. posted:

Double edit: the link is live. Google Music is winning by a landslide, as I think anyone would expect. Why "milk music" whatever that is was picked and Google Play wasn't is.... worrisome, like the guy below posts.

I'm glad Google Music is winning but I kind of hope Amazon gets in too, especially now that they have free Prime music.

Also,
http://www.businessinsider.com/john-legere-profanity-2014-6

quote:

Everyone expected some f-bombs from Legere, but the following quote is extreme. Speaking about AT&T and Verizon, the two largest carriers in the U.S. by a wide margin, Legere said:

"These high and mighty duopolists that are raping you for every penny you have...the f---ers hate you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't see not counting certain services against your datacap as same as throttling "bad" services or putting them in a slow lane or giving preferential performance treatment to certain types of traffic. If you want to use some other service, it would still perform the same as before this and it would just against the cap that would have already been there if they weren't offering this. T-Mobile is footing the bill for this, I don't think they are charging these services for it at all

As as mentioned above, they'd like to get all of them but that takes time and they have to start somewhere, so start with the most popular ones.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 19, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's definitely a tricky situation, though - even if they aren't spinning it as such, they're effectively incenting their users to utilize the services that don't count against their bandwidth quotas instead of the services that do.

I can see it turning dangerous if Verizon does something similar with their own services and they use it as an excuse to never raise data caps or lower prices. But it's not like they ever need an excuse or reason not to do that, so I'm not really bothered by this.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 19, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Legere did say they'd like to extend it to all music services.

I'm not sure why they're holding a vote instead of just doing it if that's really the case, but that's what he said. Even assuming it requires providers to flag their packets somehow, you don't need customer input to get that ball rolling.

I'm assuming that it takes some time to do so they'd prioritize the ones that are more popular first

Now if only we can convince them that Plex traffic is totally only for music streaming

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nerve posted:

Grooveshark being added is pretty killer. Anyone have experience with those others?

Still hoping Google Play gets added eventually.

Google Play supposed to be by the end of the year

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The 2 line unlimited special isn't that much more than 2 3GB lines, right?. I was about to switch to the unlimited plan before I heard about the data stash. I thought I rarely use over 2GB anyway, but someone I've gone over 2 GB already this month after getting my new Moto X

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

Your phone is a communications device and you should not be running torrents on it. Oops is the wrong thread for that?

I can see myself running over 2/3 GB easily with heavy Ballstreams HD and Plex usage. And if I had unlimited I might not even bother with free Wifi hotspots that end up being only around 1mb

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

repeating posted:

Partly that, partially people not realizing how low their data use off wifi is, jumping at the "awesome" unlimited deal, then burning 3gb or less a month.

I used to think that was me but the first month after I replaced my poo poo S3 with a Moto X I exceeded my 3gb cap half way through the billing cycle.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is there an easy way to view if an account qualifies for Music Freedom? My mother is too paranoid about T-Mobile canceling her current promos/discounts if she calls to find out and she couldn't tell me any information about her plan (other than some grandfathered in thing) if her life depended on it. Would this be in her online account control panel?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

poo poo, two free lines on my $100 unlimited plan and $325 back for my Pixel. Why does T-Mobile hate money??

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

Yes, for now. Presumably they won't kick people off of existing plans for a while.

They just gave me 2 free lines so I ported over some family members from Verizon on the promise they'd save a bunch of money for unlimited data they'd better not

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Has anyone received the bill credits that were associated with the Black friday 'give away devices and lines' deal that happened? I just received my second bill and none yet.

Ours last month didn't show up until something like the day before it was due or something. And then this month they aren't on there yet

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Was able to add a free line to my SC Unlimited account today even though I already added two free lines for the black Friday deal. Thanks for the three free lines T-Mobile

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

heffray posted:

You still mail it in. The store might be mail it for you, but they won't do any inspection or approval for the trade in.

$400 toward any Pixel 3 variant with the trade in of an OG Pixel is a pretty good deal.

Yeah getting $400 for an old OG Pixel is amazing and I thought the $300 last year for the OP6T was crazy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

T-Mobile is doing another free line promotion which brings my total free lines up to 5. It also stacks with the iPhone 11pro promo so I got $800 for my 6t which I got half off because they gave me $300 for my pixel. Why do they keep giving me money

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

How do you get a free line?

The deal is on their front page, this is the iphone promo that stacks
https://imgur.com/ysN9C7G

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully they keep that deal for the iPhone 12 in a month or so.

The iphone deal seems coincidental and the free line offers usually don't stretch out as long. But who knows it's the second time they've done it this year so maybe they are trying to goose up their subscriber numbers

Would have preferred a 12 of course but I can't say no to $800 for this 6T right now

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RodShaft posted:

It'll also keep me from looking elsewhere when my kids get old enough for phones

yeah I have all my kids covered even though the oldest is still a few years out but other than the regulatory monthly taxes on it there isn't any downside and at some point I'll be one of those jerks who other parents hate because they gave their kid a phone as a gift.

until then I have a bunch of spare hotspots that I can liter around my house if my comcast cuts out

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 21, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm assuming anywhere that is covered by low band 600mhz 5G is also covered by 600mhz LTE? There aren't any situations where I'm getting better coverage or coverage at all by having 5G?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't care about speed. T-Mobile still has some spotty service in parts of places I routinely visit. I didn't think 600mhz LTE was very widely deployed so was wondering if they were sticking 5G low band in more places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jumped on that "free Samsung A32 5G for any phone you trade" deal. $30ish to convert an old Moto E Verizon pre-pay locked phone I was using as a video player into a new 5G phone that I can use on one of the many spare free lines t-mobile keeps throwing my way is a solid deal. Rinse and repeat for my old as poo poo HTC G2 that doesn't hold a charge and a Nexus 4 which keeps crashing all the time