Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I have a possibly retarded question. I'm with Sprint and considering switching to TMobile, so I did the "test drive" thing that they offer, and they sent me an iPhone 5, which is apparently the only thing they loan out for this thing.

Neither Sprint nor Verizon really gets coverage inside my house, so that's what I was most curious about. When inside, the bar at the top of the phone showed either one or two of the little circles filled in, but nothing else next to it. When I was out and about it said LTE next to the dots, so I know that it should display something about the type of data connection I'm currently on. Being neither a TMobile customer nor a user of iPhones, I didn't know what the different network indicators I could expect to see at the top were. When I returned the phone, I asked the guy at the TMobile store what it means when it doesn't say anything up at the top, and he told me that's not possible, that it always says something, and that it must have said 4G and I just didn't notice it.

Did I somehow not see the indicator that tells me what type of connection I have (I certainly noticed the LTE indicator when it was present), or is the guy at the TMobile store lying to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Thanks, I was pretty sure I wasn't losing my mind, but the guy insisted several times that I must have been on 4G and just "didn't see it." I had initially assumed it meant no data connection, but I wanted to be sure.

Now I just have to figure out if I should bother switching or not since all three of the carriers that I've tested barely get any kind of signal at my house.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

The Mango posted:

Update 2: And I've read that if you use a non T-Mobile phone on T-Mobile, that you don't get some features, such as wifi calling. Is this still the case, and should that make me buy a smartphone that specifically says "T-Mobile" in the title?

I didn't see anyone answer this, and I'm also very interested to know the answer.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

nimper posted:

The answer is yes, you have to buy a phone that is sold by T-Mobile to get wifi calling.

Case in point: 2014 Moto X comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but it isn't actually sold by T-Mobile. It doesn't support wifi calling.

Thanks for the answer, though it sucks. I guess that crosses the Moto X off my list of possible phones. I could really use Wifi calling because the service is terrible to non-existent at my house. I can't really use Hangouts because I need it to work for incoming calls, not just outgoing.

So that basically leaves me with the M8 as my only option, but Tmobile doesn't even seem to sell new M8s anymore. :sigh:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Does anyone here know how the t-mobile trial works? Does the 7 days start on the day the package is delivered or the day the phone is first powered on?

I just did a trial a few months back, and I believe mine started the morning after it was delivered. They send you emails during the trial that say when it ends.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

Both my friend and I have identical Nexus 6's, and we were recently in a movie theater together. As we were leaving, I noticed that my signal was at 2-3 bars with a ! (no data connection), and his was at LTE. We're both on T-Mobile.

Often this exact thing has been happening to me in other locations as well, and I've had to reboot my phone in order to get an LTE signal. When I reboot, the phone says "No SIM Card Inserted" for a good 45sec-1min until it detects it.

Is this indicative of a SIM issue? Should I get a new SIM?

I used to have this problem on my old phone (an HTC One) and it was due to the SIM card not having a really tight connection. I put a piece of scotch tape on the non-contact side of the SIM card to make it slightly thicker, put it back in the phone and never had a problem again.

No idea if it will work for you, but since your phone is likely under warranty, you may want to just go that route.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I ported over two numbers at once, and I had a ton of problems. We were on the temporary numbers for something like 7-9 days, and I had to call them at least 4 times to get it taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

tonic posted:

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I know I gave him the right account # / pin code for the Cricket account as I gave it to him incorrectly the first time and he said it didn't go through and then when I gave the correct # he said it worked. Ugh.

It's been 6-7 months, so I don't recall exactly what happened. All I remember is that there's two parts to the porting process, and every time I'd talk to someone, they'd complete the first part and not the second part. Then I'd wait 48 hours, it still wouldn't have ported, and I'd call again.