Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kreeblah posted:

Has anybody heard about this 20% off thing? I don't know anybody who works for T-Mobile, so I don't have a code, but it sounds like it might be worth trying to find somebody who would be willing to share one, even if I had to make a new account for it.

This was too good to pass up, I'm finally free from AT&T. I ported my Google Voice number for it since that's what Ive always to have and the hookup site took about 3 hours to actually accept my number but I'm all set on this. I went to a store and asked around switching and mentioned the 20% thing and told them I'd switch on the spot if that was available. Whole thing of setting up a new account and porting my number took maybe 20 minutes. I had already checked reception maps but it's cool to see good LTE coverage at home. And being able to tether my iPad is loving awesome.

Now to spend the whole week switching phone numbers on every bloody site / bank / account I have.

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there some way to tell if the 20% was actually applied to your account? The rep said she gave it to me when I signed up, but I don't see it on the service terms paperwork or on my plan online.

I'd like to know this too. I did it through the site myself and my tracking ID shows it as "approved" but I've yet to receive any e-mail or text about it and there's no signs of it on the My T-Mobile website.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd like to know this too. I did it through the site myself and my tracking ID shows it as "approved" but I've yet to receive any e-mail or text about it and there's no signs of it on the My T-Mobile website.

Update: after like 6 hours I just received a text saying I'm enrolled and start receiving my 20% discount on my first bill.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just got my first text notifying of my bill. $56 is a pretty loving nice number for unlimited everything. I called att today to disconnect / cancel my service and they second they realized I was a grandfathered unlimited they stop trying their stay with us spiel. They really hated those plans.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It was unlimited (with no tethering) for as long as I had it. Then again I never went over 20gb a month. A couple of 18-19 months. It never close to a cap if there was ever one. I think they warned me of throttling once or twice but I never saw it. They bumped unlimited data by $5 last year then did it again this year so that's what made me switch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They specifically went after the grandfathered plans. Raised them (and waived ETF if you wanted to leave for 60 days). They went ahead and did it again last month so the plan (after taxes) was over $90.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, so what's the best deal these days for switching to t-mobile? I'm out of contract with ATT, and I just got my unlock verification for my iphone. I'm paying $90/month now for the grandfathered unlimited data plan. They raised it $10 over the last two years. That price is with a 20% FAN discount, too.

From what I understand t-mobile does 15% discount for veterans.

I don't necessarily need unlimited data. Definitely need unlimited text. I looked over my previous usage and I seem to hit about 3-5gb/month. That's with a lot of spotify streaming though, something I can easily cut back on. It would be nice to have the option to tether.

You're me last month. Look at the T-Mobile One plan and find a sales associate with a hookup code. It'll be $56/month for unlimited everything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes it includes tethering. The 20% is an offer (T-Mobile Hookup) they have until the end of March I believe and it's for starting a new device and porting your phone number. Each sales associate gets a code they can use 5 times so yeah it really comes down to asking someone for the code when you're talking to them about switching over.

Also with AT&T if you're already outside the contract the line will automatically get cancelled once you port the number out. The phone being unlocked depends on where you got it. If it's from ATT you'll need to unlock it first BEFORE porting / cancelling. If it's retail or from Apple it should already be unlocked.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know about the transfer part but the number I ported in was from google voice and that caused no issues. You need to unlock the phone number on google voice (it's $3 one time fee) then go about the transfer as usual. The service account if your number and the rest of the information if your google information. There is no passcode/password for the unlock process (they'll ask for one).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“GoldfishStew”" post="“476608218”"]
You think that’s bad, if you ordered the X it was a $40 charge.
[/quote]

That's even crazier considering those aren't up for preorder yet?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I’m an idiot and decided I actually want to keep the data plan for my watch. Except T-Mobile hosed up actually adding it to my plan and instead decided to just manually add 2 month’s worth of it on this upcoming bill since I wasn’t billed for it last month. By adding it manually, the autopay discount doesn’t kick in so I had to call in and find out why the gently caress my bill was $30 higher.

I got it adjusted in no time but still.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So T-Mobile is allows you to swap your sim line to eSIM if your phone supports it except no one know how to do it. I’m at a store and they weren’t given a heads up so they have no idea. So we call customer care and they don’t know. The expert keeps trying to point to the eSIM app but that’s only for prepaid.

So yeah this has been fun so far.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I got mine done last week through the chat in the app. Went smooth as hell. Recommend being on WiFi so that you can maintain connectivity during the transition.

We ended up doing this in store and ended taking 5 minutes. Copy the eSIM ID to chat, verify the pin they send you and they swap the sim for eSIM immediately. Then on your phone you go to add cellular plan and your plan will show up there an option. No need for a QR code.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah you’re going to have to do it through chat. When I made the switch I went to the store and it was basically them failing to get the rep on the line to do what they needed. While there I set up a chat with the t mobile app and got them to make the switch without any issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So T-Mobile is allows you to swap your sim line to eSIM if your phone supports it except no one know how to do it. I’m at a store and they weren’t given a heads up so they have no idea. So we call customer care and they don’t know. The expert keeps trying to point to the eSIM app but that’s only for prepaid.

So yeah this has been fun so far.

TraderStav posted:

I got mine done last week through the chat in the app. Went smooth as hell. Recommend being on WiFi so that you can maintain connectivity during the transition.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We ended up doing this in store and ended taking 5 minutes. Copy the eSIM ID to chat, verify the pin they send you and they swap the sim for eSIM immediately. Then on your phone you go to add cellular plan and your plan will show up there an option. No need for a QR code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Humerus posted:

Does anyone have experience with changing your phone number? Specifically if I can import a number to change mine to? A few years back I was on Google Fi and I ported that number to Voice, then joined a family plan with my mom and brother and got a new number. The headaches of using Voice are not worth it anymore and Google keeps telling me they're really for real shuttering Hangouts so I'm ready to just have one number again.

Yes I actually did the exact same thing (ported my Google Voice number to my T-Mobile so it would be my primary number) right around the time Google began allowing you to take the number away. I don’t quite remember the entire process but it was fairly painless with a few hours or so where things were still migrating that my line kinda fucky but otherwise it went by without trouble.

It helped that I did it in-store instead of trying to do poo poo over the phone and the people that worked there actually knew who to call and what to do.