Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ribsauce posted:

Does T-Mobile offer a 30 day return policy like Sprint? I do not know anyone with T-Mobile so I have no reference to how good their service actually is all around North Carolina. I am afraid of getting stuck with another 2 years of horrible cell reception (I am considering changing since Sprint has somehow regressed which didn't even seem possible)

Coverage is okay in NC, in the cities and along most major highways but reception inside buildings is pretty weak. I had ATT for awhile and it was the same. A few folks I know with Verizon seem to do slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BIFF! posted:

Anyone else here have problems using T-Mobile in Seattle? I just swapped to it from AT&T and I've been having all sorts of problems. I'm all over the city because of my job and I constantly keep running into no service or edge service. Last night I was expecting messages from people related to work and I never received them. Today I decided to reboot my phone because I couldn't send a message (even though I had 3/4 bars). After rebooting about 10 messages popped up from last night/early this morning. Just wondering if it's a problem with my phone or if service just sucks here.

I have this trouble if I go more than a week between reboots. I just figured it was my phone (older HTC).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
As much as I loathe the idea of Sprint taking over Tmobile, it would give me a solid excuse to switch to a carrier with better coverage and that I might be able to receive or send a call inside a building without relying on wifi.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Apparently my family plan that includes 4 lines at no extra charge is a victim of of t-mobile's new vision or whatever. After an hour or so on the phone trying to get an answer for why I'm being charged for extra lines; finally the girl from retention logged into my account and after a moment says, "Ohhh, it does say free" and I thought - I WIN! But no, they refuse to honor it. So instead of honoring my plan they tell me they will change the website so it no longer says "free". They did give me a temporary credit but I'm still very irritated. Assholes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's been part of my plan for years, said nothing about promotional. My plan still says free, until they change it that is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kreeblah posted:

Send an e-mail to john.legere@t-mobile.com and see whether you get any traction there.

Thanks, good idea. Under plan details it doesn't say free anymore, they've already changed it to say $5.00/mo. so I expect I'm screwed. At least it's still cheaper than any other company.

Anyone have an idea whether Lumia 521's from other carriers will work on t-mobile? I'm looking to buy a used one to add to my plan. They all seem to have the same specs and use the same bands.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Civil posted:

If you're referring to the Metro PCS version, it should work fine, since it's a Tmobile MVNO.

Cool phone. I got the 520 (gophone) for my kid, and it's a solid device.

Yep Metro. My oldest daughter has a 521 and it's a pretty awesome phone for the money. Thanks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What is visual voicemail? I've always used google voice but my new Windows phone doesn't support it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All my Tmobile phones have been locked.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The phone must be service 3 months and you have to have a good reason, which only weeds out people who don't have a legitimate reason or won't lie. Not sure about the ownership thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been with tmobile 8 years and their customer service is hit or miss but has really gone down hill the last year. Used to be you could eventually reach someone who knew what the hell they were doing though it would take 5 or 6 calls but now even retention is a confused mess. They have given me conflicting information even in the same discussion.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Civil posted:

I just got a mailer that said my old value plan was being upgraded and pointed to this link:

http://t-mobile.com/newbenefits/

It said my bill would raise by $1 or less, and I'd be upgraded to unlimited everything on my 2 line family plan. We were paying $90/mo for 2 smartphones, along with one of the old VOIP lines. This means we're going to still be paying around $90/mo for what's essentially a $140 family plan.

That's good, I guess.

I got that too but haven't read the details yet. I'm skeptical because the last time TM offered to change my plan, what I was told over the phone and what I actually ended paying didn't match up. Then later they decided my plan was a mistake (in their favor) and changed it again.

edit; so I'm paying $85/mo now for 3 lines, shared minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data on 2 lines. Under Simple Choice my rate jumps to $110/mo. This post card makes it sound like I would get Simple Choice for $86/mo but I don't believe them. And I don't see a way to option out.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 6, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sadly my area is blacked out because of some tv station.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any thoughts on the Amazon Fire phone?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So a good phone crippled by FireOS, kinda what I expected.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I'm looking for a <=$250 phone that works with T-Mobile, band 12 optional and height under 5.5", is there a better option than a Z1 compact?

Lumia 925, you can buy them new for under $200 or buy a demo for around $60. I just bought a demo for $55 and it is flawless.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

...if the people at the T-Mobile store I made service calls at are to be believed, you need at least a little bit of reception to make WiFi calls.

Never believe anyone at T-mobile but especially at the store.

Wifi calling is spotty for me, occasionally it works but most of the time people can't hear me or vice versa, or it's garbled. When I call using Google Voice, it's crystal clear.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This seems like something I should be able to google but I'm failing at it. For a long time I've used Google voice as my voicemail but I want to switch back to tmobile. I know I can call TM and have them do it but isn't there a way for me to do it by dialing a number or something?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skeezy posted:

Isn't it just in the settings for the dialer app?

Well there is a setting but that doesn't actually change anything. It never worked on any phone I've owned. On my current phone, it is set to t-mobile voicemail but if you call me it still goes to google voice. I changed it to google by dialing some code but the code to change it back doesn't work anymore. So I'm guessing the only way is call tmobile but I dread that so much after all the aggravation I've been through with those people. I expect it will take 3 or 4 phones calls and I'll probably have to repeat that every few weeks; seriously that's what I went through before. They would change the voicemail for me then it would suddenly get switched back and I would have to call again, over and over. It only finally worked when I learned I could do it myself with a code. I would rather just stick with google voice than call tmobile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes. Range extender or router.

Is it worth it if I already have a decent router? Talking over wifi is still iffy at times.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm really frustrated with Wi-Fi calling. I've changed phones, changed routers, and I still get frequent drops. And while connected the sound frequently drops out so I have to ask people to repeat themselves. It has become an embarrassment.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

r0ck0 posted:

You can try setting up QoS (quality of service) on your router. The easiest way is to prioritize all traffic to the static IP address or mac address of your phone.

Good idea, I'll try that. Hopefully it helps but this happens even when nothing else is using the internet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

effika posted:

How is T-Mobile roaming?

Poor to non-existent in my experience -- east coast. If you travel, I would choose another carrier.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If you are in "civilization", you won't need roaming.

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 26, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Need to confirm something, read on another forum that a phone must be Tmobile branded or wifi calling won't work. True? False?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So apparently to add a 4th person to my account I have to change plans so I can pay TM $30 above what it would cost with my current plan. Just break it off in my rear end TM.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Someone claiming to be tmobile called a newly activated line on my plan (activated yesterday evening) to say thank you (they had my name) and said to tell me the new line wasn't on easypay but I can add it anytime I like. My wife handled the call and just said okay and hung up. I called tmobile and they say it wasn't them, suggested it was a phishing scam, and offered to change the number. But how could someone have gotten all that information that quickly and if it was a phishing scam why didn't they ask for any personal information. According to my wife they just said to pass the information along to me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Duckman2008 posted:

Some T-Mobile promos were for 2 years, some were as long as you kept them. I could never keep track of which promos lasted longer than others.

It doesn't matter, when they don't want you to have it anymore they will lie and make you switch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Not much of an improvement. Anyone else get the feeling this was the plan all along.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Someone claiming to be tmobile called a newly activated line on my plan (activated yesterday evening) to say thank you (they had my name) and said to tell me the new line wasn't on easypay but I can add it anytime I like. My wife handled the call and just said okay and hung up. I called tmobile and they say it wasn't them, suggested it was a phishing scam, and offered to change the number. But how could someone have gotten all that information that quickly and if it was a phishing scam why didn't they ask for any personal information. According to my wife they just said to pass the information along to me.

Update on this. TM has their head way up their rear end on this one. It was TM that called. Some knucklehead added a $45/month data plan to my account that already has data and the extra plan is being billed separately. They wouldn't allow me to make the change online or in chat, had to be voice so I wouldn't have a written record and they could gently caress it up at their leisure. I'm learning to hate tmobile. I had years of good service until Legere took over.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Unfucking believable how incompetent tmobile has become. So they randomly added a $45/mo data plan to a phone that already had data. I called, had it removed, they said they would credit me. I check and not only did they not credit me, they removed ALL data and wifi calling from that line and charged me an additional $39 on top of everything. I don't even know what the $39 is for, it doesn't say. I would assume it's data usage but it says 0 data usage. Also I can't find a way to add wifi calling back to that account. I remember dreading tmobile being sold to att but in retrospect it would have been a good thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No, their tech support was always poo poo but customer service was good until a couple years ago.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How awesome would it be if tmobile updated their website, especially the phone store. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been changed significantly in at least 8 years. It still has bar, smartphone, and touchscreen as the main options. Music and email are still searchable options.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So I bought a Moto G4 under the (mistaken?) belief that wifi calling was built into Marshmallow and would work with any carrier that supports it. But I cannot find an option to turn it on. Instructions via google are:

Open the Phone app on your device .
Tap More Settings.
Tap Calls.
Tap Wi-Fi calling on. If you don't see this option, it's because your carrier doesn't support this feature.

I don't have "more settings"

When I instead google Moto g4 wifi calling I find a lot of posts implying it doesn't support wifi calling but nothing really definitive. Even in reviews I find some saying it doesn't support it, some saying it does. WTF. I am going to call tmobile but in my experience it takes more than one call to find someone who knows what they are talking about.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I was at a T mobile store last night and they had a poster saying that they consider >26 gb as high use ...

I can see that. Our family of four with two teenagers has rarely gone over 8gb combined. I'm on wifi most of the time so that helps. The schools have wifi which also helps.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was all prepared to give a glowing review of my experience in a t-mobile store. Went in earlier to get a cellspot because reception inside my house is terrible. The guy was super friendly and outgoing, and tried really hard to be helpful but he sent me home with the wrong cellspot. He gave me the router version and I asked him point blank if would work with my phone which does not use wifi calling and he assured me that even though it uses the internet it outputs a 4G signal. I'm not angry at the guy because other employees were standing there listening in and allowed it to happen. I accept some blame for not being an informed consumer but dammit I'm not the expert. Why is every interaction with tmobile an aggravating experience. Anyway, the upside is the Asus AC1900 is a kickass router, better than my C7, and I would kind of like to keep it. Will they let me have 2 Cellspots, one of each type?

tldr: Will tmobile let me have both a Personal Cellspot and a Cellspot Router?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They are sending me the personal cellspot, I get to have both.

Update, the personal cellspot is amazing, full bars in the whole house.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 20, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

repeating posted:

The wi-fi router and cellspot is a strange combination unless you just had a crappy router to start. If that's the case, though, the router is pretty sweet.

I have the router because they gave it to me by mistake, incompetence actually. But, it is a hell of a lot better than the Archer C7 I was using previously so I kept it.

repeating posted:

One caveat to the cellspot is it's a bad idea for having close neighbors and a metered connection. All devices on T-Mobile service that pick up the frequencies the cellspot broadcasts will connect to it with no form of authentication and use your home ISP connection.

That's interesting if true, but I don't have a metered connection. Cell signal isn't weak in my neighborhood, it's very strong, but I live in a near-literal black hole of cell reception. Walk 7-8 feet from house in any direction and you get full bars, but at my house you're lucky to get 1 bar and inside you usually get none.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel dumb asking this but is there some trick to using 5 digit sms codes on tmobile? I have never had them work, not with any phone or any plan.

VVVVV okay thanks.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 10, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
TM has been randomly adding and subtracting features to my account for about 6-8 months. Unlike you, they do eventually get the billing right although it takes a couple months and a few phone calls. The only thing keeping me from switching is that every other company is worse.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mammal Sauce posted:

should I assume that wifi calling/texting will or won't work?

I would assume not, until absolutely proven otherwise (forums and Amazon reviews do not count as proof - believe me). Reddit maybe if it's the manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wonder if it's even legal in my state. We have laws prohibiting many types of age discrimination even if it benefits older people.