Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I am not a T-Mobile customer, and I have many questions.

First, on the topic of SIM cards -- I was with Sprint from '09 until this August, and now I'm on a Sprint based MVNO (Twigby), so this is a fuzzy area for me. I have a Sprint branded LG G4 that up until June was under contract and carrier locked. Once out of contract, I unlocked it, and thought I'd see if I could use a GSM SIM in it since I read some people had a little success with it. I ordered a $10 T-Mobile SIM starter kit on Amazon, who calls it a Prepaid kit, even though the packaging doesn't say Prepaid anywhere. But I activated it with the super basic Pay As You Go, just to try it out around my area for a few days.

I had some trouble editing APNs (thanks Sprint) so I bailed on this T-Mobile experiment, but I really liked the phone number they assigned me. Thinking it might come in handy in the future, I ported it from T-Mobile and into Google Voice as my new GV number. I still have my main number on Sprint / Twigby through all this, by the way.

So now: I've ordered a new Pixel 2, and would like to take advantage of 1) the $325 gift card Pixel 2 promo, and 2) the T-Mobile Advantage program since I'm eligible for it through work based on my e-mail address. I'd like also like to 3) port my main number to this new account.

Is this T-Mobile SIM I messed with this summer any good for anything since I ported that number away? Can I use it in the Pixel when it shows up, and just call T-Mobile and try to tell them what's up? Or is the SIM completely worthless now? Should I just pay the $25 to order a new SIM card kit through the T-Mobile Advantage website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

You will get a new sim. Sims are not reused.

If you have a costco membership they can do free sims.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, going from Sprint to a Sprint MVNO, they just used the same SIM.

I do not have a Costco membership. Related question, is T-Mobile similar to Sprint in that you want to avoid going into one of their stores unless you absolutely have to?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

If anyone was gonna do the pixel 2 promo and hasn't added a line yet, well you are screwed.
Yeah, you told me in the Android thread that I should log in to my account to see if the line was there except -- I have no account to log into yet. Last week, I went through the T-Mobile Advantage site, purchased a $25 SIM postpaid SIM kit, added a T-Mobile ONE plan to it, and now the SIM kit is sitting in front of me. I got emails about my service agreement and order status, but I didn't see a T-Mobile phone number yet. Without that, I can't create a My T-Mobile account online, or step through the rebate promo page.

The return policy says I have 20 days from today to get a refund, so I guess I could just open this kit up and give it a shot? I can't tell if my line is activated from the time of purchase, or when I pop the SIM in and the line is "activated" then.

No rebate means no T-Mobile for me so this is some crummy timing.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

The line is activated regardless of when you insert it into a phone i believe.
I popped in the SIM, ported my number over last night, and earlier today put my info and the 17PIXEL2HALF code into the T-Mobile promotions page. It said I may be eligible and let me finish the whole process, so fingers crossed. Thanks for the encouraging answers.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Good lawd, I just had a real scare. I logged into my My T-Mobile account on my browser to look at something or other, clicked on the Plan tab at the top, and saw a flashing warning that I had pending changes to my account. I only have one line with T-Mobile ONE, but it was showing that in 3 days, my $70 ONE account was being removed, and a new ONE at $120 was being added. Customer support said it was a family plan, but couldn't find when that change was requested.

I sure as poo poo never requested it, though. The last interaction I had was a little over a week ago when I added a port out passcode. But the CS rep canceled the pending change, it isn't showing up any more, and he agreed that it was loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Beefstorm posted:

T-Mobile said a little bit ago that they were going to force everyone on newer plans, but guaranteed that your price wouldn't go up if you didn't specifically request the change. Can't remember when they said it, but I feel like it was near the beginning of uncarrier.

Dunno if that is still valid, but you might want to talk to care and see what they can figure out.

Did you go to a store recently or something?
Nope, never been inside a T-Mobile store. The only interaction I had was calling the previous week and adding a port out passcode. If she switched me to a family plan, then that sucks, but the rep I talked to couldn't tell when it was requested, which I thought was fishy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Change your account password just in case.
I did one better and switched to an MVNO instead :smugdroid:.

Actually that had been my plan anyway, I was only logging in at the time to find my account number. I love T-Mobile's coverage and speeds in my area, and international data saved my bacon in Japan a couple months ago, I just don't need unlimited data or a family plan.