Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nougatmachine posted:

The other announcement from today's press event is that T-Mobile is letting people "test drive" their network on an iPhone 5s for a week. You give them a credit card, they put a hold on it, let you try it out for a week, and you return it and the hold is lifted. If you break the phone or lose it you pay full price. Minor damage is a $100 charge.

Interestingly, this offer also goes for current T-Mobile customers, so if for some reason you've been curious about an iPhone but really want to try it for yourself, you can do that. Or I guess if you have an older iPhone and want to compare the performance that's another theoretical reason to do it.

It seems like this wouldn't be mutually exclusive with the pay-your-ETF offer, right?

If so, I finally might dump Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's definitely a tricky situation, though - even if they aren't spinning it as such, they're effectively incenting their users to utilize the services that don't count against their bandwidth quotas instead of the services that do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone ever had trouble returning a test-drive iPhone early? I only needed two days on mine to figure out that yes, T-Mobile kicks the poo poo out of Sprint everywhere I go (including in my house with an Airvana) and I'd rather the iPhone not be my liability sooner than later. Tried to return it last night but they couldn't seem to get it to come up in their system.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Burden posted:

You should be able too. We had some system issues yesterday. Call a store before you go and see if they can do it to save you a trip. They just need the IMEI # which you can get by dialing *#06#.

They had that (pulled from the phone, back of the phone, and the box, which all matched) and still couldn't do it normally either then or on a second trip yesterday. At least that time they just took the phone off my hands and gave me a manual receipt.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Walrusmaster posted:

You could port your current number to gvoice and go that way.

This is exactly what I'm doing in a few days when my Sprint contract is finally over.

Protip - if by any chance anyone is still using the Sprint/GV tie-in, disable that before you try to port it to GV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two questions. First, activated my Nexus 6 on the nerd plan last night. I got the $30 kit from Walmart that's supposed to include $30 worth of airtime credit out of the box, but it still made me buy another $30 via the website while I activated (and last I saw, my balance was just that $30 I bought). Do I need to do anything or just wait until it's been at least 24 hours for the $30 credit that came with the SIM to show up?

Second, is there any reason to not buy these to refill?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as it shows up eventually, that's fine by me. T-Mo's site does seem to be pretty loving broken in a lot of regards, it puked all over the place when I tried to set my security questions. Just now it tells me it can't actually pull up my account. Phone still works, so who cares!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

It won't ever show $60 from what you did today

That... makes total sense. First time ever dealing with a prepaid account and still getting used to it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I decided to take a flying leap on one of those, and within half an hour I got this:

quote:

Free T-Mobile Msg: $100.00 has been added to your account. Your new balance is $130.00. Thanks for refilling!

Not bad for $68, effectively making the $30/mo nerd-plan a $20.40/mo super-nerd-plan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I just did a trial a few months back, and I believe mine started the morning after it was delivered. They send you emails during the trial that say when it ends.

This was the case for me as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it normal to get texts about ensuring "no break in service" even though I have ~$130 on my account balance?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you have to return it no matter what, even if you do want to get a 5S for some reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446331922"]
I get free music streaming on my $30 plan. Specifically with Google Play Music.

Confirmed, I pulled down ~7-8GB last month but TMo only called it about 4GB due to Google Play Music.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Luceo posted:

Jumping in here in support of the Nexus 6. I hate a Note II and was fed up with Samsung's poo poo software, so I went Nexus and it's incredibly good.

Yeah, I'm coming from a Note II and a long string of HTC poo poo before that, and the Nexus 6 camera easily bests all of that. My wife's iPhone 5S camera might be better but not by much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think what this comes down to is they want to offer unlimited in a way that stops the tethering sperglords who insist that torrenting 24x7 is exactly what "UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED" is supposed to cover. While whitelisting sites is not the most ideal solution, it does pretty much negate any possible end-runs around it to try and pass traffic off as if it was 'streaming'.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Only thing I can think of is maybe you're on a limited bandwidth internet plan and you want to take advantage of free music streaming over lte

That doesn't make sense because it's still just routing the data that your phone sees as LTE, over your wired broadband. So if you pay-per-GB on your home plan, that sucks, and this wouldn't let you do an end-run around that.

It really does seem to only be a benefit to phones that can't work with wifi calling already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Porting trip report: It took longer on the phone (about 15 minutes total, much of which was spent on account validation) than it did for the actual port process to put my wife's number on her phone. Inbound, outbound, text, all working already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sure does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your area must not be congested, since the way they have it structured is to only deprioritize you at that high of a usage level if the tower you're on is at capacity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They announced it a while back - first hit on Google out of many, emphasis mine:

quote:

T-Mobile recently updated its disclosures about when customers on unlimited plans might see slower speeds. "Unlimited 4G LTE customers who use more than 21 GB of data in a bill cycle will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to other customers for that bill cycle at locations and times when competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds," is the new fine print on T-Mobile's website for its plans.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably a good time to unlock and flash a full image, not an OTA? Might want to check through the Android thread if you haven't yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's available to new lines only so you'd need to port out and back in.

Or just port to Google Voice or something.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

The two largest data usages, music and video, essentially being free to use seems like a pretty big consumer benefit to me.

Yup. You can look at it as a different form of every carrier's "unlimited*" where instead of having an arbitrary cap set on you by the carrier (i.e. 23GB) you choose your plan based on the cap you want. With the added bonus of there's not really much way you can argue that this "unlimited" should also include your torrented linux ISOs on your tethered home network.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Works great on my Nexus 6 and (yes it's not Android) my wife's iPhone 6S. Honestly goes a really long way to covering the gaps TMo has.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astro7x posted:

There is currently a family plan for 2 lines at $80/mo with 6GB Data for each. You could get in on a family plan with someone and cut your bill in half.

Got a link to this? I had to bump my wife's postpaid plan from 2GB to 6GB and it would pretty much be the same (if not less) to put both of us on that plan, as it would to keep me on nerd plan and her on a single-line postpaid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems like it loads the app fine, I haven't tried actually redeeming any of it. I have the option to turn on binge on but don't, because I just don't burn through enough mobile video data to want to gut the quality. Most of my mobile data ends up being Google Play Music which is also free.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Most music streaming services don't count towards your actual data allotment. Likewise, you can opt in to have TMobile compress most streaming video further, and have it not count towards your actual data usage either.

It's basically a way for TMobile to offer something approaching unlimited, without having to spell out "yes, it's unlimited, but don't loving use it for torrenting 24x7".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like it's still here to me: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hmm. Looks like they force you into BingeOn for video, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do they still do the 7-day iPhone loan?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FYI, Target's running 10% off on TMo refill cards, and if you have the Red Card it stacks another 5% on top of that. $80 of credit for $68.40.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That actually saves $1.81/mo for my wife's line by moving her from 6GB to unlimited, thanks to the fees that they used to break out separately.

Still cheaper to keep my line on the nerd plan, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it is very rare that my wife's post-paid TMO plan has service where my pre-paid TMO plan does not. Usually if I don't have data it's because I'm off in the desert with zero signal of any sort, not just roaming elsewhere.

Once I burn up my TMO prepaid balance, if the two-for-$100 is still around I'll switch to it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TMO doesn't do any postpaid plans except unlimited at $70 now. If you don't need much more than 100 minutes per month, you can do the nerd plan which is $30/no prepaid for 5GB full speed data, unlimited text, and 100 minutes voice. VoIP apps (GVoice, Messenger, etc) don't count against it at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Since I'm paying TMo about $100/mo anyway ($70 One plan for my wife, $30 nerd plan for me) and I've used up the balance in my prepaid account, I'm going to switch from prepaid to a 2-line postpaid plan. Anyone know of any promos or anything going along with this? I use Google Voice so I don't care about keeping the number on the prepaid plan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

repeating posted:

I think the 2 for $100 (with AutoPay discount) T-Mobile One promotional pricing is still active

Trip report: painless to switch at a store.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Free Netflix. :woop:

TMobile posted:

Because this is the Un-carrier, getting Netflix On Us couldn’t be simpler. Starting Tuesday, September 12th, qualifying T-Mobile ONE customers can activate their Netflix subscription online, in-store or by calling T-Mobile’s award winning customer care. And, if you already have a Netflix subscription, T-Mobile will cover the cost of a standard subscription for you — meaning you’ll save nearly $120 every year.

To qualify, all you need are two or more paid voice lines on T-Mobile ONE with taxes and fees included. Even customers with free lines from the Un-carrier’s wildly popular recent “line-on-us” deals qualify. Customers on Unlimited 55+ or 2 lines for $100 can get Netflix On Us simply by switching to the latest T-Mobile ONE plan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dammit, should've gone there when I converted from nerdplan to 2-for-100. Can Costco do all the promos? I was with Sprint before on SERO / EPRP so I'm used to "good" pricing meaning I was stuck with corporate store hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

What will it mean for T-Mobile costumers? Increased coverage?

Is there anywhere these days that Sprint out-covers TMobile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think I ever had a hosed up bill, but Phoenix got absolutely shafted on 4G coverage during the Wimax rollout, and the remaining 3G network was utterly decimated once the iPhone finally made it to Sprint. The in-store experience always sucked rear end, too. TMobile isn't quite as cheap but it actually loving works.