Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Island Nation posted:

Looks like T-Mobile has introduced some new prepaid plans

http://explore.t-mobile.com/unlimited-prepaid-plans?icid=WMD_TM_Q115CYRN_1UFSBRX6QWH1525

$40 for unlimited talk,text & 3G data plus 1 GB LTE, Could this beat the dork plan for people who talk a lot?

Who talks on the phone anymore? Way to go Tmo. Plus these new plans don't even have Music Freedom. What is this, 2013?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clockworx posted:

Isn't Harbor Mobile a better deal? You basically get all the perks of TMobile (music freedom, international data) plus 2.5GB for $30/mo.

Music freedom? Really. You got a source for that?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clockworx posted:

Can't link directly to it, but there's a section here:

https://www.harbormobile.com/faq/

Well I'll be hosed. That's a great reason to switch from the dork plan...

edit:

The one thing that gives me pause is the fact that the 2.5GB cap reverts to 1GB at the beginning of next year. But I suppose I could bump up to the $40 plan at that point and not be too worse for wear.

nimper fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 15, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Insane Totoro posted:

IIRC you can get that price from Retentions

Though wasn't the Avant panned for being laggy despite the better specs versus the E?

Considering that the Avant runs Touchwiz and the E runs stock Android, it's not too hard to conclude that nobody should ever buy a budget Samsung phone for any reason.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Linco posted:

Anyone having trouble sending/receiving MMS with T-Mobile? The wife and I just switched over from sprint, and loving everything about T-Mobile except for the MMS being all over the place.

Check your APN settings and make sure mobile data is enabled.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

No, T-Mobile has been secretive about the exact 700MHz locations for now, but they've promised some kind of map when they're ready to announce it.

We know the areas where TMobile owns 700MHz spectrum. We don't know who will get it first.

http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The protected channel 51 in AZ is discouraging. :(

On the bright side, TMo doesn't own 700mhz spectrum there anyway.

Maybe the 600mhz auction will yield better results for you :unsmith:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gorman Thomas posted:

So I'm ready to switch over from Verizon to T-Mobile for that $30 nerd plan and I just want to double check the process with you guys

1. Buy Moto X from Motorola
2. Buy activation kit/Sim from Walmart
3. Cancel Verizon line
4. Activate new phone on T-Mobile website with $30 plan.

I'd be able to transfer my phone number over from Verizon correct?

You don't actually have to buy the sim from walmart; you could order it online from tmo if you really want. You just have to activate the plan online.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gorman Thomas posted:

Thanks guys. At which point would my phone number turn over, when the sim card is shipped or when the plan is activated online? I'd like to avoid being without cell service for a few days.

It would happen as part of the activation process. You tell them the number you want to port and then the process take a few hours to complete. You will need to have your Verizon account information and account PIN.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

All it's missing is a drat LED flash.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CatchrNdRy posted:

If I port my prepaid number to google voice, and I travel abroad with my phone off, will I still receive texts to my email? I guess this is more of a google voice question, but do you still receive texts when the phone isnt turned on?

yes

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mnemosyne posted:

I didn't see anyone answer this, and I'm also very interested to know the answer.

The answer is yes, you have to buy a phone that is sold by T-Mobile to get wifi calling.

Case in point: 2014 Moto X comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but it isn't actually sold by T-Mobile. It doesn't support wifi calling.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sweart gliwere posted:

You even get the bonus of picking your own number, within the available pool per region. Downside is some people don't like dealing with your two numbers, but even MMS works on it these days.

I actually used Hangouts calling/texting for a little while. The two numbers thing is a little confusing for most people. MMS does work but only for sending pictures/videos. The real problem I found is that group texts come in as individual messages and you can't reply to the group as a whole.

Which is fine if you don't have any friends, I suppose.
:goonsay:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mnemosyne posted:

Thanks for the answer, though it sucks. I guess that crosses the Moto X off my list of possible phones. I could really use Wifi calling because the service is terrible to non-existent at my house. I can't really use Hangouts because I need it to work for incoming calls, not just outgoing.

So that basically leaves me with the M8 as my only option, but Tmobile doesn't even seem to sell new M8s anymore. :sigh:

You can use hangouts for incoming calls too if you have a Google Voice number.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Red Warrior posted:

Is the Nerd plan limited to 4G (HSPA+) speeds or is it balls out LTE? Seems a bit cagey the way they say 'up to 4G speeds for the first 5GB' when they are very careful to use 4G and 4GLTE everywhere else to distinguish between them.

Was going to switch to Cricket when my Moto X 2014 comes in but with the T-Mobile SIM already in it figure I might give them a try for immediate gratification.

It's full LTE.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wormil posted:

Any thoughts on the Amazon Fire phone?

For actual content, consider:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/01/amazon-fire-phone-review-its-not-terrible-its-just-pointless/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

Im going to be getting the 5gb 100 minute talk time plan, is it possible to do hangouts voice dialing over network only (only using data) and not use minutes?

Yes. You just have to tell people to call the right number.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Atomizer posted:

I visited a T-mobile location and we basically determined that you can't just have a data plan on a "phone." The system apparently sees that a device has voice capability and freaks the gently caress out. :( I don't think it makes any sense, but there's not a lot I can do about it. I just wanted a goddamn media player; a pocketable alternative to a tablet with a data connection. The Moto G is exactly what I need except that whole "being a phone" part.

The nerd plan accomplishes this pretty nicely imho

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Atomizer posted:

I got the BYOD SIM card without an activation kit/code because it was intended for a non-phone "tablet" device. Is there a way to make this work without reordering another kit?

Also, why does the OP say not to use Chrome to sign up for it?

The people at the store already told you it wouldn't work. It's time to start over with a phone SIM kit.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Astro7x posted:

Looks like you can get MLB At Bat for free this year again with T-Mobile

Just did this. Pretty sweet deal!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pizza Club posted:

The wife and I are thinking about switching, but I'm unclear on a couple aspects of the program where they pay off your device/ETF. Here's our situation:

Her: iPhone 6 that we bought outright. Plan to use it on T-Mobile, just getting a SIM. In contract - ETF is $160

Me: On Verizon Edge program that I regret. $475 left on device payments. $160 ETF.

What I'm not getting is what exactly T-Mobile will cover. If we move over, she wants to use her current iPhone but they won't cover her ETF unless she trades it in? Is that correct?

With my line, I have two things that would need to be paid off: my Edge program phone and my ETF. I thought I saw something that said they would do one or the other, but not both. The combined total is under $650 though, so would they consider it if I just asked nicely? I'm fine with trading my phone in and getting something else.

I realize I might not be able to leave Verizon without paying something, just trying to figure out specific costs. It seems they are going out of their way to get people like me and I'm definitely interested.

Tmobile will only cover your ETF if you trade in a device and purchase a new one from them. So if your wife wants to use her existing iPhone she'd have to eat the $160.

Also I don't think that you would have to pay an ETF for an Edge plan--just pay off the remaining balance and you should be home free.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pizza Club posted:

I would have to pay off the remaing balance, which is $475. If they are going to pay off anything, I would want it to be that instead of the ETF.

Right. But there shouldn't be an ETF on an Edge agreement, just the device payment. Maybe you have an old contract in the system that wasn't cleared out?

edit: Also, why is there an ETF on a line where the phone is paid for in full already?

nimper fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 6, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

visuvius posted:

I'd like to pick up the new LG G4 and switch over to the TMoble Nerd plan from my current Verizon plan. I'm planning on buying the phone outright from Staples with gift cards. What I'd like to know is, if I don't like the nerd plan or I'm not happy with Tmobile service, can I cancel Tmobile and then switch over to AT&T with the same phone?

Yes. But do Cricket instead if you don't like the nerd plan.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

visuvius posted:

I called T-Mobile just now and the lady said that I would not be able to use the nerd plan with the new LG G4, at least not for a while. She said manufacturers don't let them put the brand new phones on prepaid plans right off the bat. Is this accurate?
Not accurate to my knowledge. It's entirely possible that the lady is just trying to get you to buy postpaid service.

quote:

Also, why Cricket?

Lets you get AT&T's network coverage at T-mobile prepaid pricing, basically.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

visuvius posted:

OK then I think I will just purchase the AT&T version of the phone from Best Buy when it launches since they're giving away all sorts of poo poo when you buy the phone there. Then, I'll activate it on T-Mobile, or Cricket. That should work right? Thanks for the help guys.

Make sure you actually pay the full price of the phone - it will be around $700 with tax depending on the options you get.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Moto X pure edition. I see it lists LTE bands as 2/4/17, but 17 is listed as 700 MHz. Will that not work for band 12? How much of the LTE coverage is band 12? I also can't find the 3g or 2g bands for it. I know it shipped with a t-Mobile SIM, I just want to make sure I won't be missing anything.

If band 12 is important, what are some of the earlier phones that had it? None of the n5/m7/Moto X 13/g4 generation I can find had it. Those would be more my price range if it wasn't for a really good deal on this pure.

It won't work on Band 12. If you aren't in a Band 12 area this isn't so important since everything else will work fine.

Band 17 is AT&T's 700mhz LTE band, for what it's worth.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's too bad. I live in CO, so it would be a nice feature to have, but unless I want a low-end phone or the mid-range but big Alcatel, they are all out of my budget.

That makes my decision simpler, I guess. Or more complex, since I can't select based on that. More clear, at least.

That Alcatel phone is intriguing. Probably a smidge bigger than the 2014 Moto X but definitely smaller than the Note 4 and Nexus 6.

For the price (and Band 12 compatibility) you probably can't beat it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uthor posted:

:aaaaa: You mean I didn't need to severely curb my usage last month when I hit 4 GB used about two weeks in???

Correct. Dial #932# to check your actual usage.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Astro7x posted:

It just seems weird to me. If I burned through the 10GB data stash in June immediately, by December I would actually have 6GB of rolled over data, plus 3GB of my monthly plan data, for 9GB of data instead of 4GB.

Why don't you want to use your 10GB stash then? Just hook up the Netflix IV drip and let it ride until the bag is empty.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jose Pointero posted:

I recall seeing that you can check detailed cellular info by punching something in on the dial pad, but it's not turning up on google, anyone know the code? I want to see if I'm getting on the 700Mhz band or not.

LTE Discovery in the play store will show you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

lethial posted:

Uhhh, thanks for the great info. I might just get the moto phone then. What about the ASUS Zenphone 2?

Instead of worrying about Band 12 support and wifi calling, you might be better off switching to a carrier that has better reception in your area. Perhaps Cricket -- uses AT&T's network for half the cost. You can bring your own device like a Moto G.

T-Mobile is a fine carrier but it isn't for everyone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Daily Forecast posted:

I have another dumb question. Obviously I'm on T-Mobile.

So I'm giving my wife my Moto G 2015 because her GS3 finally said gently caress life and died. I may have (meeting him tomorrow) scored a T-Mobile LG G4 for $400, and he's agreed to meet me at the T-Mobile store near me. Assuming the phone's all good to go and I want to buy it (obviously have the T-Mobile guy check the IMEI, etc etc), there's something they can do to 'mark' the phone as mine or tie it to my account, right? As in, make the original owner unable to immediately report it stolen?

I guess I don't expect him to do that because he seems like a decent guy but I still want my bases covered.

edit: I just decided to call and ask like a normal person and the guy told me that basically if I bought it and he decided to report it stolen there's poo poo all I could do. Realistically that probably wouldn't happen but I still don't like the idea of buying a phone that would forever be 'some other rear end in a top hat's phone', so I cancelled on him. Alas.

For less than $400 you could get the Nexus 6 from Amazon and not worry about shady dudes.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Daily Forecast posted:

poo poo camera, no expandable storage, no replaceable battery. Nah.
Okay great!
P.S. Come to the Android thread we'd love to have you!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LionYeti posted:

Does anyone know if the Moto X Pure supports band 12?

The Pure supports Band 12 but we haven't heard anything about T-Mobile allowing the Pure to use it. It would need to pass VoLTE certification first.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Crosspost from the iphone thread.

Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their new iphone payment plans?

You just need to order a prepaid SIM and activate online to get the $35 plan.

nimper fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 10, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'm wondering if Apple will know / care if I buy the phone off contract with Verizon then swap over to TMobile pre-paid.. This seems like one of the cheaper ways to go if you don't need minutes. Hell even just buying the phone through Apple and remaining month to month on my current Verizon plan would be cheaper if they'll let me.

The phone will be unlocked and work on any carrier so you wouldn't have to worry about what Apple wants you to do.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Don Lapre posted:

It may have to be activated before you leave the store. Apple probably gets a kickback.

Probably right but you could activate it on your current plan and then immediately jump ship. It's still unlocked and you're not signing a carrier contract.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Excellent.

I'm glad Apple is pushing the unlocked/universal compatibility angle here. We saw this with Google's Nexus 6 last year and now Motorola's new Moto X Pure.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tatsujin posted:

Is there any definitive word on if/how T-Mobile will offer the Nexus 5x/6p? I've been to the stores by my work and home, and no one at either seems to know anything.

The answer is they will not offer them. You have to buy direct from Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iluvpr0n posted:

Could you explain this a little? I've been on Sprint forever and have an HTC M8 with no contract - I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile and getting a Nexus 6P (which looks like it will be compatible with TMobile, but likely not sold directly by them).

I want to get get that 10gb/2 line deal too (wife will want a new iphone to replace her cracked-screen 5S).

Am I best off upgrading (1 or 2 phones) via Sprint now and then getting TMobile to pay off my ETF/device fees? And then trade in 2 crappy phones to TMobile? And then sell whatever I "upgrade" to from Sprint and use that to buy a Nexus 6P?
:confused:

The trade-in and ETF stuff only works if you're buying a new phone from T-mobile.