Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

repeating posted:

All 2g towers are expected to be done upgrading to LTE by the end of June. If you look at the full coverage map right now, that's all gonna be LTE in a few months. The brighter color is T-Mobile coverage, the darker is where you can roam.

That sounds really ambitious, but I hope it's true. The current coverage map on the T-Mobile website doesn't seem to reflect it. I was planning a cross country trip later this year and was considering getting an AT&T sim just for the trip, but I hope I won't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

repeating posted:

All 2g towers are expected to be done upgrading to LTE by the end of June. If you look at the full coverage map right now, that's all gonna be LTE in a few months. The brighter color is T-Mobile coverage, the darker is where you can roam.

Is this still happening? Or are they waiting until the end of June to flip the switch?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm on the $30 nerd plan right now, but my job just changed and I'm getting a $40 per month cell phone stipend. I'm on the fence about getting the $70 5gb plan, or the $80 unlimited. Does tethering pull from the data stash? In other words, on the 5 gb plan, suppose I have 10 gb stored up in my data stash. Would my tethering be limited to 5 gb or 10 gb?

Also, is there data coverage in the "partner" areas on the map?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 22, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sinestro posted:

I've got MetroPCS, and I'm going to get a new phone when the new iPhone comes out. I like T-Mobile a lot on the surface, but I have to travel a lot for work, and I get a lot of dead zones when I'm driving the I5 corridor from Sacramento down to LA, even though the coverage maps show that that shouldn't happen. Is it something wrong with my phone (old beat-rear end iPhone 5) or is the map just lying?

I've been driving across the country the last week and a half. The only states I've had service in the middle of nowhere is on the I10 in New Mexico and Arizona. Everywhere else I've had to have been in a city or at least a large town.

I've had plenty of roaming here and there, or 1G on and off, but if it isn't data then what's the point. You have to really zoom in on T-Mobile's map to get a good idea of what type of coverage. Their zoomed out map is more of a yes/no, and a lot of it is roaming areas.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a difference between the pre-paid and not pre-paid plans? They have them listed on different sections of the website. Do they provide the same service? They are at the same price levels and look almost identical. Is the only difference that the one you pay up front and the other is that you are billed?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's gotta be some type of catch? Isn't that cheaper then just outright buying the phone?

T-Mobile sells the 16GB iPhone 6s for $524
Apple is selling the 16GB iPhone 6s for $777

http://gizmodo.com/t-mobile-undercuts-apples-iphone-upgrade-plan-with-20-1729796591

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I guess I'm confused - there's Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice, right? I upgraded from the $30 nerd plan to the $80 unlimited plan. I'm paying the same way I was paying on the $30 plan - load money into my account with the credit card, and then on the day it's due the money is taken from the balance. Is this different from a plan that bills me after the fact? Or is this the same thing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this band 12 stuff really that good? I have a perfectly reasonable two year old Moto X, I think the camera would be the only reason for me to upgrade right now, unless band 12 is like some mega signal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/2/9657878/t-mobile-wants-to-put-an-lte-tower-in-your-house

Free LTE tower with $25 deposit for your home or business offering 3000 sq ft of coverage.

Why not just use wifi and wifi calling? Does wifi calling suck? Or will you not get SMS without a real signal?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nickutz posted:

T-Mobile just announced Binge On: Unlimited Video Streaming. Appears many major services are supported.

Can I tether?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Logan2211 posted:

I have unlimited with the 7GB (soon 14GB I guess) hotspot data. Are you saying I was able to or will be able to do rollover on unused hotspot data?

I didn't think it was, but is it? I want to know too.

You can def binge your hotspot though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Has T-Mobile changed its plans? I'm on the $80 unlimited/7gb tether plan. I'm trying to go to something less expensive since I really don't use that much data especially since binge on, but I don't see this plan even available anymore. Is it worth keeping? I probably use between 1-3 gb per month.

Other question - I moved recently and would like to get a new phone number for my SIM card. I'm using Google voice mainly, but I would like to have a local area code on my SIM for various reasons. Is there an easy way to do this?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Astro7x posted:

There is currently a family plan for 2 lines at $80/mo with 6GB Data for each. You could get in on a family plan with someone and cut your bill in half.

Does that include all of the regular stuff? Data stash, binge on, etc?

Is this a special deal? The website has the 2 lines/6gb for $110. Also notes LIMITED TIME DEAL: Get 4 phone lines with 6GB of LTE data per line for only $120/mo. That’s $30/line! Only available when you CALL 1-844-222-1848 now!

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 25, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a difference between the Simply Prepaid Music Unlimited and the Simple Choice Music Freedom? I don't really need Binge On or International Texting. I don't see why I wouldn't get the $40 3gb Simply Prepaid plan over the $50 2gb Simple Choice plan. I use Google Play Music pretty regularly, that's it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

$5.50 for a free* Vudu movie.

*Movies cost $5.99

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Asking this again, didn't see an be answer before -

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a difference between the Simply Prepaid Music Unlimited and the Simple Choice Music Freedom? I don't really need Binge On or International Texting. I don't see why I wouldn't get the $40 3gb Simply Prepaid plan over the $50 2gb Simple Choice plan. I use Google Play Music pretty regularly, that's it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Burden posted:

Yeah music streaming doesn't count towards your data on the Simply prepaid plans.

From http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-monthly-plans?icid=WMM_PD_SMPLYPRPD1_P7P5IZNPEDI3761

"Music Unlimited

Unlimited music streaming on top services without using your data on our network. For $40/mo. and above plans."

So is the only difference really that the $50 plan gets you Binge On and calls to Canada and Mexico?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Burden posted:

Go to a store, they will move your number over in like 2 minutes once your postpaid account is made. It should be painless and quick.

I didn't even have to do that when I moved off the nerd plan, I just selected the new plan on the website and that was it. Mid billing cycle change might be different. But I've had no problem just clicking online.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Burden posted:

Th $50 plan doesn't get you binge on, only $65 or higher.

???

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Besides crying about your youtube resolution (lol if youre literally watching movies on your phone), what is bad about the plan?

or is this like the only plan you can buy?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

creationist believer posted:

Have you been to the house of any Dad in the country? Every single one has an expensive 4K TV hooked up to the cable box over 480i composite cables and brags about how great the picture is. The average technology customer in the US is like that, not like you.

Watching the SD channels because "its always been channel 6." And that poo poo is stretched because "I paid for the whole screen."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Whats the easiest way to get a new sim phone number?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

New number for my sim? Do I need a whole new sim?

I use Google voice as my main number. I moved and I figure I'll get the sim-number with a local area code so I can have a new set of telemarketers and debt collectors call me all day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress, I accidentally clicked "download now" on this Android 7 update and it destroyed my data cap. I'm trying to find where I can buy another gig of data but it doesn't seem to exist anymore?

edit- I can't buy more data. They restarted my billing cycle as of today so I'm back on data.

Also, I got a new phone number. I was doing this through chat support and didn't realize that I was also on a conference call, which I got cut off from when they switched my number. Oops.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If I switch to the unlimited plan today, I can do the Pixel discount? I don't have to be on unlimited for x months beforehand?