Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone know what the deal is with common shortcodes on TMobile? I'm finding some conflicting info, but a lot of people saying they're completely blocked on prepaid plans.

I really want to switch, but it might be a deal breaker for me since I frequently use a few that still don't work with GoogleVoice.

edit: I found someone on another forum to try my favorite code and it seemed to work. Tmobile changes policies so much lately, there's a lot of old info around.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have an unsubsidized iPhone scheduled to arrive Friday, but have no prior relationship with T-Mobile. Is there anything I can I do now to get ready to port over my current ATT number to the $30 prepaid plan as painlessly as possible?

Do I need to buy an activation kit at Walmart, or will the phone come with a fresh sim I can just set up online?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Brock Landers posted:

The phone should have a new sim in it. The $30 plan can only be activated online or at walmart, so just go to Tmobile's website and follow the links to activate a new sim. I ported from AT&T to the $30 plan and it was done in about 30 min.

Awesome. Thank you. I wasn't clear if the "activation kit" was anything more than a fresh sim and I don't want to be stuck waiting for one to ship after the phone arrives.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wish I had noticed that MLB At Bat is free for T-Mobile subscribers before the last day of regular season play. Love these extra little perks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hotsauce posted:

Doesn't it go free every year this time?

At least on the last day of regular season, premium features like pitch-by-pitch and game-of-the-day live video still costed $4.99 on my wifi iPad.

When I tried the same things on my phone I got a popup that said "free on this device courtesy of T-Mobile."

I don't know what they do for postseason; This is the first time my team has made it there in 29 years.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hope and vaseline posted:

I don't suppose there's an ETA for Google Music being added to the list of streaming services besides vaguely later this year? I'm giving Spotify a go but the music organization is clunky at best, and artist radio is kind of terrible.

The rumor somewhere else was that they're still trying to figure out how to differentiate Google Music traffic from everything else coming out of Google.

No proof to back that up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Qwijib0 posted:

I always thought the music only was silly-- they should just up the throttled speed to 256k, enough to stream audio.

You're suggesting rather than not metering music streams, they just make it so once your data limit is reached, then your throttle connection is still sufficient to stream?

What if I use up my data with Spotify in a week, then the rest of the month EVERYTHING is stuck at your hypothetical 256k? That sounds less than ideal.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's my first month on the 100 minute plan, so I've been compulsively checking my usage.

#646# has said "Down for maintenance. Check back in 5 hours" for several days, and the website shows that I've used exactly all of my minutes, even though I think I should still have about 50.

...Should I quit worrying and expect the website to reflect accurately once whatever maintenance is done?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

r0ck0 posted:

Any update on this issue? Should I just wait until the bill comes due?

Calling 611 and asking for "dollars and minutes balance" seems to be accurate for me even though the site and #646# are broken. I'm taking 611 as official.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What the hell, T-Mobile?

I'm one month into my prepaid service and they just keep failing hilariously on account maintenance and billing stuff that should be pretty automatic.

First there was the broken minutes tracking system we talked about recently in this thread. It erroneously show that I had used up all my minutes for the last two weeks.

Now that my minutes are ACTUALLY used up and month is over, I can't get my plan to renew. There's $40 in my account. The money has been there for a while.

The site says, "next charge to be applied 10/17/14." That was three days ago. I'm still get charged a dime per minute in overages.

Is it always like this on the magenta side?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It looks like wifi calling, which has been broken for prepaid customers since at least Monday morning, was JUST fixed within the hour. I finally have service at work again!

Let's go fix the billing and minutes systems!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IanCaw posted:

Are there any prevailing opinions on TMo wifi calling that came with iOS 8 on iPhones? Is it worth just leaving the setting on, or only something that should be turned on if you really, truly have no cell signal in areas where you do have wifi?

I ask as I have decent LTE coverage at home and work, so it's not critical, but it may prove useful when I'm not one of those places but still have wifi.

It works really well and I haven't noticed a battery hit from leaving it on.

The only downside is that you can't use Call Handoff, but I'll sacrifice that to always have signal while I'm at work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bryn987 posted:

Where do you get this $30 plan at?

Buy one of these at Walmart for immediate gratification, or find the plan kind of hidden at the bottom of the TMo prepaid site

In related news, Target has refill cards on sale for slightly below face value, plus the RedCard discount: I'm rolling at $27/mo for a while.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Three-Phase posted:

This is sort of a cross post from the iPad Thread. How bad is the throttling of data speed if you go over your monthly allotment? Is it like down to 3G or even slower like ISDN or 56k speeds?

Also, what's the catch to the free 200MB plan?

Did something change? It used to just cut off after 200mb with a popup page to buy a refill.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

No clue. It's a very large company though, so it could be possible. They offer discounts to ATT/Verizon/Sprint as well.

It is through the Advantage program, we get 10% off service, activation fees waived, all that.

There was an announcement back in March that employee discounts were going away. People were mad. TMobile backtracked.

If you had a discount you can keep it, but going forward the program has been reduced to $25 gift cards on new devices or something.

Here's a press release: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/02/t-mobile-backtracks-on-plan-to-eliminate-corporate-discounts/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Welp, I thought I had a $30 balance in my prepaid account ready for my $30 plan to reup. I woke up without a working phone due to insufficient funds.

After 45 minutes on the line with 611 I find out that sometime last week my plan got flipped to charging $0.10 per MMS.

Is there seriously no way to get an itemized charge list or even a billing history on prepaid? In two months with T-Mo, this is the third time I've had to call for billing issues.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

That's really disappointing to hear as that's what I'm using my phone for 90% of the time I'm out. Crap.

Do you regularly use over 5gb now? I have to try pretty hard to get close now that streaming music services don't count.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

I rarely go over most months but once every 5-6 months I need to tether for up to a week or so. Unlimited data on sprint was usually good enough because it's almost always on LTE. Plus I like having it as a backup connection when needed, especially when I was living under the thumb of big bad Time Warner Cable, which had an awful lot of downtime.

Is there a way to just buy an extra bucket of data on the fly when needed?

Know that the $30 plan only includes 100mb of tethering. It's another $15/mo to allow tethering on the whole 5gb.

Maybe a prepaid hotspot would be more economical, depending on how your additional uses add up. T-Mobile has single-day, week or month options and you can just pay as needed.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 23, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

gariig posted:

I always forget does the prepaid Dork Plan qualify for free streaming?

There's conflicting info on the T-Mobile site. On the prepaid plans page it says "yes," but on the postpaid site it suggests "no." Further, people on the $30 have reported getting "helpful reminder" texts to upgrade to the $50 plan to receive "uncarrier" benefits like Music Freedom.

That said: its seemed to work fine and streaming hasn't counted against my data for the last few months.

Here's a 3 month trial to Google All Access if anyone wants to give it a spin. Normal trials are only a month. http://g.co/GoogleFriends (no benefits to me. link is from Slickdeals)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

They're $10, but go on sale for almost nothing frequently. Or at least used to.

They go on sale for $.99 about every month, usually near the beginning of the month. So, can you wait a week?

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...kit&firstonly=1

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

Also good to know. How closely do they actually keep track of this?

I've never tried tethering with tools meant to hide it, but they track tethering through official tools very closely.

I just connected my iPad for a second to get this screenshot and it immediately registered 100kB.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Fyi, the nerd plan is for new accounts only. You won't be able to transfer a TMobile number to that plan without jumping through hoops.

(I don't think this has changed since I signed up)

Those hoops can be as simple as paying a $20 Google Voice porting fee.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

So to clarify, I port to T-Mobile postpaid, wait 1 month, port to GV, then port to the $30 nerd plan through Walmart?

You can either temporarily port to GV then hop to $30T-Mobile prepaid, or just port to GV long-term and take a new random number when you go prepaid.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MC Hawking posted:

Quick question! I may have access to an ATT iPhone 5 and was wondering what the steps are to make it work on T-Mobile's prepaid bands. I presume I'll need an unlock code from ATT themselves, but what else? Just pop in my current sim? What data bands will be supported?

Edit: I'm sure this has been answered many times before, so forgive me! Cursory searching leads me to believe that 3g and possibly HSPA+?

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/41077

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ads, metadata and such all still count, but Spotify definitely isn't hitting my nerd plan data bucket to the full extent that it would without "music freedom."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

r0ck0 posted:

I have been using hangouts now that it has the integrated dialer and it works great. The voice quality is a million times better than cellular and I have effectively unlimited minutes. I can use it on cellular data and it doesn't count against my minutes and it still sounds better than a cell call. Plus it works on wifi of course.

Hangouts really sucks on iOS. The notifications are so poorly-integrated that they're easy to miss, and even on a fast new device it takes several rings to answer, leading to missed calls.

Vonage has a quicker dialer for outgoing calls, but poorer call quality.

Neither of these will continue a call once you leave wifi, so starting a call as you're leaving home and trying to continue it as you drive away isn't an option. Dropped calls like that are pretty unprofessional.

Wifi-calling with VOLTE hand-off is by far the winner, except for it costing money on prepaid plans. It sounds great and works really well in LTE markets.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Long Francesco posted:

I'm gonna switch to that Harbor mobile thing and see how it goes. What's the cheapest way to port my number out of tmo and back to Harbor? I'm not really up to date on the att mvnos.

GoogleVoice as a temporary number parking spot. Maybe permanent if you use android.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LionYeti posted:

iPhone 6 has band 12 support right?

LOL, no.

6S might next year, but the 6 was in development long before anything was deployed on band 12.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The best way to get any prepaid discount these days seems to be finding a grocery store that doesn't collect sales tax on gift cards then paying with a credit card that gives rewards on grocery purchases.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

Two questions. First, activated my Nexus 6 on the nerd plan last night. I got the $30 kit from Walmart that's supposed to include $30 worth of airtime credit out of the box, but it still made me buy another $30 via the website while I activated (and last I saw, my balance was just that $30 I bought). Do I need to do anything or just wait until it's been at least 24 hours for the $30 credit that came with the SIM to show up?

Second, is there any reason to not buy these to refill?

I made the same mistake. You paid for this month with your Walmart kit and then you added a $30 balance to cover next month.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

As long as it shows up eventually, that's fine by me. T-Mo's site does seem to be pretty loving broken in a lot of regards, it puked all over the place when I tried to set my security questions. Just now it tells me it can't actually pull up my account. Phone still works, so who cares!

It won't ever show $60 from what you did today. The $30 from the walmart card was already deducted to pay for service from April 1 to April 30. On May 1, the extra $30 you funded will be applied for May 1 to May 31st and your balance will show $0 until you add a refill to cover June and beyond (or it will just continue showing $0 if you autopay.)

You're good to not add any money until the end of May if you want to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it normal to get texts about ensuring "no break in service" even though I have ~$130 on my account balance?

Totally normal. There's a checkbox to turn those, and the service advertisement texts. I'd tell you where if my.t-mobile wasn't down right now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I just wanted to make sure I could get a new iphone from t-mobile too.

T-Mobile doesn't do subsidized phones, so the new iPhone is going to cost you the actual $650+

If you've got insurance, you're better off getting your current phone replaced and unlocked if you want to switch to T-Mobile. Trade in an old phone for the ETF program.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 2, 2015

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Skeezy posted:

So I know the $30 nerd plan doesn't include free streaming or whatever but does it use minutes if I use Wifi calling?

E. I've been told wifi calling goes against my 100 minutes but I wanted to be sure.

Wifi calling counts against the 100. Hangouts dialer and Vonage do not.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

devilmonk posted:

I can't find a link to this "nerd plan" on the t-mobile site. Does it still exist?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

"Other monthly plans"

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe I have just never noticed it, but I feel like I haven't ever gotten any use out of WiFi calling. I either have enough signal to have a good call or no signal at all. And, if the people at the T-Mobile store I made service calls at are to be believed, you need at least a little bit of reception to make WiFi calls.

I'll look at the G2. I had been considering the Idol 3, but I tried my fiancee's G3 and it's too big. I want a new phone, so the used nexus is out. I have a used phone now, and whoever had the phone before me ran the battery into the ground by the time I got it.

I had ordered a 2013 Moto X, but they sent me a Verizon, and they are out of T-Mobile version. So that's my first choice out.

I work inside wifi-equipped metal boxes parked in the basements of large concrete buildings. Zero service available, but wifi calling works great.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a difference between the pre-paid and not pre-paid plans? They have them listed on different sections of the website. Do they provide the same service? They are at the same price levels and look almost identical. Is the only difference that the one you pay up front and the other is that you are billed?

Prepaid actually costs the advertised price. Postpaid has taxes and fees after the fact. Prepaid doesn't get to finance devices or some extra perks like data roaming, but "music freedom" seems to work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

madkapitolist posted:

Is the $30 nerd plan still the best plan for high data/ low talk minutes usage? Im a bit bummed I can't use binge on with it. I use slingplayer and if I could catch some espn on the bus to work that would be great. Any tricks for a comparable qualifying plan?

It's still a good deal.

You know where BingeOn is available, it just applies to the Sling-branded a la carte streaming service, not to Sling boxes that stream your home tv, right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is the new TMo iOS app cool? I've had it for over a week, but it says "Sorry, we're not ready for your account type" on the $30 plan.

Pretty new icon, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

peepsalot posted:

I've been on T-mobile's $30 super secret prepaid 'i have no friends' plan for a while now.

It was a massive pain to get it set up to begin with, leaving me with no phone for a week or so, and almost inexplicably lost my phone number during the switchover, which I'd had for 10yrs or so.

Anyways, I started a new job recently that requires me to be on conference calls out the wazoo, and its eating up my minutes, making it closer to $60/mo since I have to keep feeding the account. I'm thinking about switching to a post-paid plan, and I guess I'm mainly wondering if there are any specific ways or tips to go about changing from prepaid to postpaid that will result in the least possible fuckups from t-mobile, considering every interaction I've had with them has been like pulling teeth. I'm assuming I could do it over phone or internet?

Can you dial into your conference calls with Vonage or Hangouts Dialer? That's how I've stayed under 100 minutes for two years now.