Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So I'm finally ditching Verizon and moving to T-Mobile... I should end up saving a hundred dollars a month. Insane. If I purchase the nerd plan online, at what point do I try to get my current phone number transferred over from Verizon? During checkout? There's a page on the t-mobile site where you can check to see if your number is transferrable, and it says yes, but it's pretty vague as to how or when I actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I spent around 90 minutes on the phone with t-mobile trying to get the Moto X I ordered on the nerd plan, and got absolutely nowhere. If anyone reading this thread is thinking of ordering a Moto X and jumping onto the nerd plan, make sure you order an extra SIM from t-mobile, because without the "activation code" new sims come with it's basically impossible to sign up.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Should have also mentioned that I'm a new t-mobile customer, trying to switch over from Verizon, so I don't have an account yet. Also thought that the nerd plan was online / wal-mart only? They seem pretty insistent on that.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

So one final question. Currently, I have two numbers on one Verizon family plan - both numbers are under my name. I have two Moto X and am all ready to activate them. But I'm not sure the best way to make sure I can port both numbers over successfully since you can only do one phone at a time on t-mobile's online activation site.

Basically, I'm worried that if I do one number at a time, Verizon will lock the second number as soon as I request a port for the first. These are the two options I see:

- set up both Moto X's as quickly as possible and hope that both numbers port fine
- give both Moto X's new numbers, and then call t-mobile and ask them to port my verizon numbers over (not sure if this is even possible, the only place I see any info about porting is during device activation)

Anyone dealt with this and have any advice? This is basically impossible to google.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Naffer posted:

You can port a number at any time. You can easily set up your devices with new numbers and then call T-mobile and say "port a number" into the voice prompt. You'll get someone on the line who has can initiate the ports from there. They can usually tell you immediately whether a port will be successful.

Thanks. I suspected this, but like I said, for some reason this stuff is impossible to Google, because all you find are ignorant assholes (like myself) asking dumb questions (like myself).

edit:
I did it. Holy Crap is contacting a human difficult. No matter what combination of saying "Port A Number" and button prompts I would enter, I simply couldn't reach a representative. I was only able to get a person by Googling and finding this page: http://gethuman.com/phone-number/T-Mobile-Porting-Department/

Everyone I've talked to has been hella goofy. When I first called, I explained to the woman that I wanted to port two verizon numbers over to two t-mobile phones. She says "OK," and we go through the motions. The nanosecond I finish telling her the details for the first phone, bam, the call is disconnected. I immediately get a text saying that my number has been ported. She ported the number while I was talking to her, when we were only half finished!! I called again, got a different woman, and at this point I didn't even know if I was calling from my temporary t-mobile number or my ported number. What a pain!!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 18, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I used Chrome to set up my thing and everything worked fine. Could it be an extension you have active? Or are you running an old version?

It might also be worth adding that if you buy a Moto X (the correct choice), you still need to order a new t-mobile activation kit so you get an activation code. This confused me because the Moto X comes with a t-mobile sim — they say this all over the motorola site — but it doesn't come with an "activation code," which is the first thing t-mobile asks for when you sign up.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

So, am I really dumb or is it really difficult to set up auto-pay when you're on the nerd plan? I keep trying to set it up and the website says that "AUTO PAY IS ON" but, every month, the system doesn't pay automatically and I have to do a manual payment. So then I go through the website again, double check my auto pay settings, and think I did it right. But then the next month, once again, it doesn't work. Am I missing something simple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I've asked this before in the thread but got no responses - am I the only moron who can't get auto pay to work for the nerd plan? The website says "auto pay is ON," but it doesn't say when it will auto pay, and it never does. Each month I just get a Refill Required notice. Is there some miniature link I'm missing on the website? Googling this, it seems like lots of people have this issue and just end up going to a T-Mobile store, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something first.