Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I've got a potentially dumbass question. I moved to Japan about a year and a half ago and will be here for another few months before moving back to the US. I've been on the Sprint Japan Plan the entire time which is a loving incredible deal ($5 add-on for unlimited talk, text, and data in Japan), but I've been stuck on my iPhone 6S for long enough and need to upgrade, especially now that the CDMA network will be shutdown when I move back.

Would there be any issues trying to do a device swap while roaming on SoftBank? Has anyone else tried to do a device swap overseas period? Maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but I'd like to know for sure before dropping the :20bux: on a new device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI, the iPhone 6S is a full LTE phone, so it will not be impacted by the CDMA shut down.

Interesting. Sprint sent an email saying that the phone would be affected by the shutdown:

Sprint Email posted:

For those lines that will be affected, you must take action to continue service after January 1, 2022, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location. Listed below are devices on your account that need to be updated:

• iPhone 6S on line ending in XXXX

This could also just be some dishonest upgrade marketing plan I suppose. I used to work for Sprint HQ (in network no less) so I should probably know these things, but I've totally disconnected from the industry since switching to a different job six years ago :v:

edit: I didn't realize there was a Sprint thread still going - I might check over there as well

torb main fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2021