Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

edit: Just out of curiosity, how much data do you unlimited plan users end up using? Once I had the ability to start monitoring my data use I was shocked how little I actually used.

I used 4.2GB last month and 2.5GB of tethering. 3.81GB + 2.5GB tethering the month before that. I imagine a lot of my cell data usage is just letting it download podcasts and stuff via mobile when I'm out and about, since I have unlimited, I don't have to care about that particularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yup, not uncommon on any carrier. One of the many reasons I use Hangouts instead of SMS for 99% of my SMS like conversations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Supposedly the T-Mobile version is only the 64GB one, which would be a $50 savings if true. Can't seem to find confirmation on that (or even just availability of the 64 for $50 more).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

bryn987 posted:

Still waiting on 5.1 for my N6

It's been out for awhile. If you don't want to wait for it to come to you, you can always manually update it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Experian hacked so if you went through a credit check for device or service in the last two years, your data is likely compromised.

quote:

The data acquired included names, dates of birth, addresses, and Social Security numbers and/or an alternative form of ID like a drivers' license number, as well as additional information used in T-Mobile's own credit assessment. No payment card or banking information was acquired.

It was encrypted, but the encryption was possibly/likely compromised as well. They are giving two frees of year credit monitoring.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It really doesn't take much YouTube/Netflix/CR/Twitch/etc to hit 1GB. Even audio episodes of a podcast can be 100+ megs each.

720p YouTube is roughly 0.4MB/sec. So 24MB/minute means you only need 42 minutes of 720p YouTube to hit your 1GB cap.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 5, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

For awhile it was just plain broken.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I had that but a restart cleared it up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's built into Marshmallow for Nexus devices, which those are instructions are specifically on a Nexus help page. Things like the Moto G4 are responsible for implementing it themselves for their special snowflake changes.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So I know people used to use their upgrades on iPhones and then resell them and buy cheaper androids. Is this still a thing with the Black Friday deal? Could I get an iphone/S7 and just never unbox it and sell it to put towards a Pixel instead? Or is there something other than the SIM that would tie it to my account? Never bothered doing the phone flipping thing before, but since I've got an S5 I've been stuck with it, it seems ideal to upgrade or flip it to the phone I want.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah my understanding is that you get phone. Next bill and the second bill you pay full price. Third bill you pay reduced price (due to credits) and get credits for the difference on the prior bills. So an S7 Edge is about 10/month after credits, instead of 30. You'd get 40 in credits for "over paying" the first two bills on your third one. And then just the extra 10/month thereafter.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah that $500 fee that they implemented is a real killer for people.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Isn't that plan gone now with the new Simply Prepaid plans that give 4/6GB+unlimited talk/text at $45/55?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

It's the only plan they offer anymore postpaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It says existing customers can call and get on the plan.

T-Mobile posted:

Current eligible customers can get T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55+ by calling 1.800.TMOBILE, going to https://www.t-mobile.com or visiting a local retail store.