Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I did the math and it seems that I'll save money switching to the $30/month plan even after buying a cheap phone and paying my AT&T ETF. (They won't unlock my iPhone 5 until I've either finished my current contract or paid out the account, which seems fair enough.) However, the cheap phone I'm getting uses a micro sim and my iPhone uses a nano sim. I was able to order a nano sim starter and a micro sim starter from T-Mobile, so I know I'll be OK setting up the cheap phone and porting my number over. The thing I'm not sure about is will I then be able to switch service from the micro sim to the nano sim once I get my iPhone unlocked, or would I be better off getting an adapter for the nano sim and using that from the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

You could also take the route I'm going: go to an AT&T store and switch your account to a prepaid gophone. It will end your contract and you'll get a bill for your etf. Pay it and you can unlock. Then port from the gophone to tmobile. This allows you to use your current phone with at&t while waiting for the unlock. It took 15 minutes to convert both of my lines at the store. You need new sims (free) so going to a corporate store is mandatory. You can pick the $40 smartphone plan with 200mb of data to get you through.

Huh, I sort of wish I'd asked a day ago, that sounds like a good plan. However the phone I ordered already shipped and for the price it'll probably be good to keep on hand as a backup if nothing else.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

AT&T finally unlocked my iPhone so I can start using that. I already have a T-Mobile nano sim to use, but logging in to T-mobile.com/sim just bounces me back to the T-Mobile front page. (Looks like a bunch of other people on prepaid report the same problem.) I'll do an online support chat as soon as I get a chance, but what info do I need? Just my account/phone number, and the number on the new sim? Or is there anything else I should have ready for them?

Edit: Just did this, they also need your account PIN, but if you don't remember it they can reset it for you. (To do the reset they needed the last 4 digits of the last number I called.)

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 28, 2014

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

It was pretty much 5 full days. I put in the unlock request around 10:30 PM on the 22nd and got the email that it was unlocked around 11:30 PM on the 27th. (The email also said it may take an additional 24 hours for the unlock to go through, but it was done when I tried it this morning.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

You seem awfully surprised that a company would offer a dollar more instead of fifty more. They're not dumb. Of course they're going to try to have their offers meet or beat what the other guys are offering so they don't end up paying an additional premium.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Bought a new phone that came with a T-Mobile SIM, took that out and put the SIM from my old phone in the new one, I'm up and running fine. There's not really any reason to hang on to the new SIM, is there? The only thing I could think of is having it in case I ever manage to lose my existing SIM but not my phone so I'd have one in a drawer to get them to switch my account to.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Height of 5.43", clearly won't work haha

5.43 is less than 5.5, so that would work for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the deal with net neutrality was more isps charging providers for better access. Isn't tmobile free to the provider and basically no barrier of entry?

At a higher level (or lower level?) the idea behind Net Neutrality is "data is data" and it shouldn't matter what the content/service/server/provider is.

Edit: Curse you, Uthor.