Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The way this one works is hilariously inept; it's not based solely on the age of the line.

I got a text that one of my secondary lines (the one I have for my mom, the exact opposite of a heavy data user) got unlimited data for 2015 because yada yada loyal customer. I called TMo up to see if it was a mistake since it was a secondary line and my primary line has been up and going since 2002 right after the VoiceStream change over. They said no because I don't have a phone financed on my line and haven't in quite some time (I buy either second hand or Nexus devices) but that secondary line has a financed phone so it qualifies! Said financed phone was the freebie they gave me to start the line 3 years ago that I didn't want but they sent anyways and is still shrinkwrapped in a closet somewhere.

:doh:

Put me in the same boat as Qu Appelle, I haven't financed a phone since before 2009 but I use ~1 gig a month on my data plan and I got free unlimited data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If I want suggestions on what used phone to buy, would that be better here or the Suggest Products thread in PYF? My S4 has begun doing the No SIM Reboot every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and I'm prepared to invest in not-an-S4 for the T-Mobile network.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

real dilemma posted:

hey there no SIM card detected buddy, I've been looking at the Nexus 6 or 6p but haven't jumped yet. I was hoping to find out what was causing the issue and just fixing it and keeping this phone, but I guess it's a hardware issue?

It's a hardware issue, yeah. I haven't seen anyone post an actual breakdown of the problem but I have seen several people report that they haven't seen an S4 that didn't do the No Sim Reboot since <arbitrary date>. It definitely happens on every model number of S4 and it definitely happens to everyone I know who has an S4, regardless of carrier.

I'm looking at the Nexus 5X myself, at Uthor's recommendation. $250 used is a little more than I was intending to spend, but it'll handle everything I can throw at it without any problems.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

hotsauce posted:

You may also be able to find the kits in Walmart. The box must specifically say it's eligible for the 30 Dollar 5 GB plan. A few months ago they were extremely hard to find, so maybe Walmart is stopping carrying them.

Seems like it's on for the time being, this was taken yesterday.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 7, 2016

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
No $15 Lyft credit this week, which is sad. Instead we get a gift card to an overpriced fashion website, which is even sadder. People with Gilt money don't even know what $15 looks like, T-mo, and people without Gilt money will never buy $40 underwear, even if they're $25. Who is this promotion for?

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 16, 2016

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

minusX posted:

Now the binge on requiring money to get off of thing for T-Mobile one is a spit in the face of net neutrality, and the fact you have to pay extra to get out of slower speeds is crap.

This exactly. The next logical step is offering a plan that throttles streaming services beyond usability and charges a fee to bypass that throttling.

If you haven't filed an FCC claim against T-Mo over this you may as well be begging for your cell phone bill to get higher while your provider offers you less.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Then just pay the full amount and consider the regular price a discount.

Or just go to a different phone company.

But it's not a discount. Words have meaning. Why don't I just file complaints with the FCC until they start enforcing the law, as is their job?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Exciting though that may be, the only wiggle room in the wording of the law is whether or not T-Mo is an ISP.

I dunno, they do seem to Provide me with Internet Service an awful lot for an organization that's not an ISP...

What they're doing is federally illegal and the only and I do mean only way to interpret otherwise is to deliberately misinterpret the definition of ISP in clear defiance of the intent of the law. This isn't a discussion, the two sides are "People Who Stand To Profit From Deliberate Misinterpretation Of The Law" and "Literally Everyone Else". You think you're on the first side, because you like Binge On, but when they think this has been going on for long enough that they can change course and start restricting service without benefitting the consumer they will.

Oh wait, the One Plan is here. That's literally happening now. gently caress you if you want to watch HD video. And if you imagine this isn't indicative of things to come then you clearly don't understand how this whole Business thing works.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
They're been awful for awhile, and overly complex. Even their partners don't seem to understand them, I saw signage for T-Mo Tuesday $2 gift cards yesterday at Dunkin and what I got today was not that.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Pandora Plus doesn't have unlimited skips, as I'm finding out. It's played the same five songs on this station in the space of an hour and will no longer let me skip "due to licensing restrictions".

So I guess T-Mo bought us ad-free Pandora, which is nice, but it's not what it was sold as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Broke my phone and need a new one today for work for under a hundred bucks. Can you still go buy a Walmart Family Plan phone and just put a t-mo SIM in it like I did last time this happened? I only ask because that was years ago and I can't get an answer online.

I'd go to a T-Mobile store but they don't show prices or availability online and I'm not supporting that horseshit if I don't have to.

E: Nevermind, I got a phone. Big box retail store phones are all carrier locked, by the way, I did the research on a phone in a retail store lol. T-Mobile stores sell phones starting at $100, but they're a rough deal. I ended up with an unlocked Moto G Fast because it was late and I work early.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 6, 2021