Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a simple comprehensive list of Band-71 (600mhz) service deployments, trying to help someone switching carriers.

The coverage info maps from T-Mobile just kinda lumps b71 4g in with the other 4g, and b71 5g in with mid and high band. Is the only useful info going to be waiting for press releases or browsing through third-party mapping services?

This official map will tell you the signal strength you should get on T-Mobile's various bands (though does not include 5G). This unofficial map is based on scraping the official map and shows you how T-Mobile has updated their coverage over time.

astral posted:

I thought the 850 stuff went to Dish in the deal. Either way, it was the 2500 that T-Mobile was primarily after.

This is correct. T-Mobile may have wanted Sprint's band 26 (850 MHz) spectrum at one point but they were definitely willing to give it up to Dish if that meant they could get Sprint's band 41 and band 25 spectrum instead.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bit bummed I have to lose my employer provided Amplified plan to get the full device credit on the iPhone 13. :mad:

Apparently it's no longer being offered and there isn't a 5G equivalent version of it yet. I only got it like early this year/late last year?

If you're talking about the plan, every T-Mobile plan (even including grandfathered legacy plans and 3rd party MVNO plans) should have 5G. T-Mobile wants everyone on 5G ASAP because it makes more efficient use of their spectrum.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

maniacripper posted:

Really really want to upgrade my Motorola Moto G7 and I just came over to T-mobile from Sprint. Being a second class citizen for so long the emotional trauma spent from over 20 year on sprint plans and network has be an anxiety riddled adventure.

I want Motorola g100 but I understand the signal bands can be confusing. I see versions marketed as International 4g Euro 5g, Sprint/Verizon only, on AMAZON, meanwhile on the Motorola website it makes no mention of model number of the one they offer so it's hard to compare.

Is there a version of this phone that is fully feature compatible and full 5g compatibility on T-mobiles network? If not is there a similar phone around 350 that's in a similar wheelhouse?

Looking at the Motorola website, it looks like that phone does not support band 71 which is T-Mobile's primary low band for "extended range" and indoor coverage. I would not buy a new phone for use on T-Mobile that did not support that band. I'm not even sure 5G would work without band 71 as I believe T-Mobile currently requires phones to "anchor" on band 71 to access 5G.

If you want to buy an unlocked phone for use on T-Mobile, Best Buy is probably your best bet. See what they have to offer. Otherwise look at what T-Mobile themselves offer on their site.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I watched the announcement stream and here's what I remember: Basically the next generation of Starlink satellites will have LTE antennas on them that any 4G phone will be able to connect to (no special hardware required). Based on the description of the service they plan to use the PCS G-block (band 25) that they acquired with Sprint. The signal will be very weak so it will only work outdoors if you have a clear view of the sky and bandwidth will be extremely limited, so they will initially only offer SMS service, but eventually plan to add voice and data service. It will be included with "their most popular plans" (read: their current premium plans) and be available as an add-on for other plans. Service is slated to begin late next year (though keep in mind that's what Musk said, so add an extra year or so on to translate that to reality).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 10, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Concurred posted:

I have an LG V40 ThinQ and T-Mobile has been sending me the wrong SIM card (iPhone X, which is my nephews) and telling me to bring my phone in for a SIM swap. I bring it in to the dealer and they tell me my phone is no longer usable on the T-Mobile network, and I have to upgrade or get it replaced

When I do the IMEI check for my phone, it says it's a valid T-Mobile phone. Am I missing something?

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by "the wrong SIM card". T-Mobile has never had device-specific SIMs, so any SIM should work in any device. Is it the wrong size? I don't think the SIM is tied to any particular line until you activate it online.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Concurred posted:

I tried putting it into my phone, but my phone never activated on the network, so I eventually always went back to my old one. I didn't realize the envelope was tagged "for iPhone X" until I double checked. The SIM card came inside a little punch-out thing that you can adjust to the size of your phone - I don't know if mine is nano or micro SIM.

Did you activate the SIM before you inserted it? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/sim-esim

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Queer Grenadier posted:

Anyone else still holding on to the old Sprint Kickstarter plan? I pay like $25 for unlimited everything. Holding on to this one.

Same here. I got in during the week where they were offering it for $15/mo and I got in on the free line offer they accidentally opened to KSv1 accounts, so it's actually $7.50/mo/line. Never giving this up :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Pretty sure this is just "we want to get ahead of the FTC investigating junk fees and force you on an account change because that's not a junk fee!"

Most of T-Mobile's plans are inclusive of taxes and fees, so they can't just tack on an extra fee like AT&T and Verizon do to raise prices after the fact.