Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Deathlove posted:

http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

I did this for my area (which I assumed would result in at least "good" because Chicagoland), and it was great. They just mail you an iPhone 5 and say "enjoy your week!"

Thanks for this too. It's a 5s now & just ordered one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
So, I'm in the process of switching over and found out the hard way that our Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support wifi calling (didn't know) or 4G LTE (did know). Does T-Mobile sell pre-owned iPhone 5s or is there a reputable place to buy a used T-Mobile one?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks for both. I'm going to assume some will show up on both after Xmas.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Here are the FAQs on WiFi calling

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9997

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ramadu posted:

So I have a couple of questions. I recently quit my job and my job paid for my phone bill. THat is going away on friday. I was planning on getting T-Mobile since 50 bucks seems to be about the best deal out there for me. I have a iphone 5s that I used on verizon in pretty good quality. Can I use it on t-mobile or do I have to get a new phone? Will I be able to keep my phone number? This is the first time in like a decade I've had to look for a new phone service so I'm wondering if poo poo is different now.

You won't have access to T-Mobile WiFi calling & you might not have access to the LTE bands. My spouse's Verizon iPhone 5 does not get LTE on T-Mobile.

If you want to port your Verizon number, you'll need the account number and billing pin for Verizon.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, I know that the 5s does do WiFi vs the 5 (I just bought a tmo 5s on Swappa). I was told by tmo that byod from others wouldn't work regardless of phone & os (which now seems to be wrong). I'm assuming that there are still limitations on the full LTE though.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

Thanks for the answer, though it sucks. I guess that crosses the Moto X off my list of possible phones. I could really use Wifi calling because the service is terrible to non-existent at my house. I can't really use Hangouts because I need it to work for incoming calls, not just outgoing.

So that basically leaves me with the M8 as my only option, but Tmobile doesn't even seem to sell new M8s anymore. :sigh:

You can get a free cell spot from Tmo that may help with signal inside your house.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I did test drive in DC. IIRC, it was a iPhone 5s.

Definitely try it out so you can see how your coverage will be.

I'm good with my coverage except I get zero penetration (heh) coverage inside my building past my window office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

You scrubs need window offices. :smuggo:

The WiFi calling is great. My wife's iPhone 5s has it. My moto x 2014 doesn't, but she can call me using Google hangouts if I have WiFi.

Do the test drive as your daily experience will be different from other DC goons.