Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
It's cool that you can waltz in and get a sim if you're switching phones, but is there any way to save a buck on an activation code if you're setting up a new account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Cripes, I called every Walmart in town and each of them either say they can't do the nerd plan or don't have the activation kits necessary for it. Every T-Mo store I call says I have to get a phone with it and they have to do the non-nerd-plan activation in the store. The one time I try to buy something from a brick and mortar I'm going to have to buy the activation kit online anyway.

Why won't you just let me give you my money? :negative:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

muscat_gummy posted:

$600 phone, cost over 2 years

Sprint: $2,240 (pay $200 up front, $85/month plan)
T-Mobile Option A: $1,320 (pay $600, get on $30/month plan)
T-Mobile Option B: $1,800 (cost of $600 phone plus $50/month plan)

I did this Excel style when I still wasn't sold on switching. It made up my mind for me pretty quickly.

If I'd kept my two lines on Verizon with my employee discount and the phones I've been using for the last two years (or if I had gotten free upgrades) I'd still spend close to a grand more over two years than I will having bought two unlocked Nexus 5s and having put them on the nerd plan. If I'd stayed and my employee discount expired (which it was about to) I'd have spent several hundred more on top of it. Not much of a decision at that point.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

What do you usually use for that? The 100 minutes a month is way more than I'd ever need, but I probably ought to set something up in case of an emergency. I figured I'd probably use Skype since I pay for that for work anyway.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Something kinda cool I've run into, although this varies by town obviously, is that for all the warnings I had about T-Mo's signal being rear end here in my city I have yet to find anyplace where it isn't significantly better than Verizon. I ran some errands last night in places that were total dead zones for Verizon and had full bars. Places with a decent signal for VZW had an extra bar at least, and where LTE wasn't available the HSPA+ network was still better than Verizon's strong 3G/weak 4G. No regrets at all on that front.

Only gripe I have is now that I have unlimited SMS the only texts I've received are from folks trying to get me to come to the office on my day off. :v:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm pretty tempted to replace my Nexus 5 with an S7, but I haven't shopped for a phone in ages, and when I got my last it was direct through Google. I don't get an upgrade discount or anything since I'm on the nerd plan, so is there anywhere I can look to get a good deal, or should I just give in and pick something up at the brick and mortar?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I wonder if the nerd plan isn't going to be in danger eventually. I haven't gone shopping for a mobile plan in like three years, I have no idea what's out there that would cover my monthly average of 15 minutes of talk/tons of text and data at a similar price.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, its membership wireless kiosk in the store. I think all of them have them. No $25 upgrade/sim charge or $25 byod sim charge.

Am I reading this correctly that I can go to Costco with a new phone as an existing subscriber and they'll activate it for free? I was concerned I'd have to go to the corporate store and pay to activate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

If you are using an existing line with a new phone just swap the sim. But yes if you are setting up a new BYOD line you can do it there with no fee.

It's a different size sim, is my only problem.