Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

With unlimited of all three, the app became a little pointless.

It's still useful for tracking tethered data usage since those are still capped. Especially since T-Mobile apparently doesn't count all the tethering data you use which third party apps won't take into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

According to the Data Sense app on my Windows Phone, I've used over 5.5 GB of data over the past 30 days. 4.2 GB of that was from internet sharing with my tablet which included streaming 480p and 720p videos from my internet browser. Over 500 MB went toward music streaming on my phone. This was done without really considering how much data I was using.

According to the T-Mobile app, I've used about 5 GB of data since February 10th and only 62 MB of tethering. I wonder how exactly that break down works out. :confused:

I guess I'm just on the cusp from T-Mobile's standpoint where the 5 GB plan could work for me if I was more mindful of my data. Although this is my usage during normal work weeks. Had I been on a trip or on the road, I may have used much more.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

"H" is HSPA+ which is an extension of 3G that's faster than 3G but not as fast as LTE. Depending on the phone, it may show up as 4G instead.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm adding my brother onto my plan and he wants to get a new phone through T-Mobile's EIP. Does it make a difference if I order the phone before I add his line and then give him the phone when it arrives and his plan is instated? He wants the iPhone 6 so it would be a load off my shoulders if I could pre-order the phone without also having to add the line and port his number at the same time.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I finally got internet sharing on my Lumia 920 to not suck and work on LTE (instead of being forced to only use 4G or mucking around with settings and changing modes to convince it to tether on LTE which didn't always work) only to hit a pay wall stating that my plan doesn't support internet sharing even though I'm on the the unlimited data plan with 3GB of internet sharing. When I proceed through the pay wall, it even shows the correct plan I'm on but it seems to want me to upgrade to the 5GB sharing plan. I don't want to precede any further unless I'm sure my plan doesn't get altered.

I don't have another phone on hand at the moment that can do internet sharing to see if the issue is worth the phone or T-Mobile. Granted I've never used internet sharing on any other phones and I've had a feeling that the 920 hasn't been implementing internet sharing correctly since I've only been able to use it on 4G and there were discrepancies in how much data was shared between what T-Mobile and my phone we're reporting. I guess I have to go to a T-Mobile store or call customer service to clear it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Good timing since I recently added my brother to my plan and we roughly pay $100 for unlimited data and 3GB of tethering for me and 1GB for him. If we switch, my brother may end up paying more for his plan but unlimited data and 5GB of tethering for $50 per line? :flashfap:

My only concern is that if my brother ever decides to leave for another carrier, I doubt I can go back to my current $70 unlimited data with 3GB of tethering and I don't know if I can justify the $10 bump for the additional tethering cap. Especially since T-Mobile doesn't seem to properly measure how much data I'm actually getting through tethering. I've used about 5GB of tethered data over the past month according to my phone yet T-Mobile hasn't counted a single bit against my tethered data allotment. Although that could be because of some unusual settings and setup of my phone (an unlocked Rogers version of the Lumia 920) that inadvertently misreports my tethered data usage. If getting a T-Mobile specific device does fix the issue, though, then I guess I have no choice but to go with the additional tethered data.