Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Got a big STEM up my asshole.

Question:

I currently have an iPhone 5S on AT&T, and I got it back with the grandfathered unlimited internet plan. My contract is up (I own my phone), and I'm just paying month-to-month at $90 / month (unlimited data, texts, some minutes that I don't care about).

I've been debating switching over to AT&T since ~MY FIANCEE~ is moving into the area soon and she will need a brand new phone contract (with or without a new phone, she also has a 5S and hasn't decided if she will upgrade). It would appear that we could get a family plan, both of us having unlimited data, for $140 ($80 and $60, respectively)?

Another thing is that she travels to Europe a few times a year, and it would appear that the countries listed are on the international data list. Does that mean that we would have unlimited data in those countries at no additional cost (albeit slower than normal speeds)? Is there some sort of price benefit for making regular calls from the US to Europe?

I'm not a disgruntled AT&T user (I've never had a problem with them), it just seems that T-Mobile is a bit more competitive now. I live in Portland, and I only really operate in major cities so I don't think coverage will be a problem, unless someone knows something I don't.

Also, question on this chart:

Does this mean that if I trade in an iPhone 5S, I can get an iPhone 6S for $10/mo (for 24 months), with a 2-year contract with T-Mobile?

edit: I went into a T-Mobile, they confirmed everything here. The answer is yes.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I'll be paying :10bux: less a month, plus I'll be able to add MY FINANCEE to a family plan for an extra $60, so we'll have two unlimited plans for $140 (with like free international data and poo poo which will get used).

This, as opposed to just getting her a different plan on (somewhere) and paying $80-$100 for her (on top of the $90 for me), and then the extra for international data roaming, tethering, etc.

It would seem like the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but I've heard T-Mobile's network coverage just isn't close to competitive with ATT / Verizon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

What happens if, after 18 months is up, you don't want to trade in your phone for and upgrade? I know you can pay the purchase price (the difference between the retail price and how much you've paid monthly) and own the phone outright, but what happens if you don't want to purchase it, and don't want to trade it in? Can you continue to use it for the $X a month you were already paying (assuming the extra you pay goes toward lowering the purchase price), or are you forced to trade it in?

edit: Does Apple Music (radio) count toward your bandwidth?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 25, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I don't see how it would be weird at all to apply for three different companies in the same industry, doing the same job, to see who hires you. That's like a completely standard thing to do.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

I just recently switched to T-Mobile and while I was doing it the rep kept telling me stories about how "cool and insane" he is. Have I joined a service with a Cool CEO?

He's like that hip uncle that shows up to family barbecues with a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts and uses lingo from the late 90's.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Is there any way to completely get T-Mobile to gently caress off with all the messages?

I've gotten nearly 15 messages in a week. I've already turned off the bill notification and such, I just don't want to hear a word from them about anything whatsoever.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

broken clock opsec posted:

Rumors are that T-Mobile is about to announce music freedom but for videos next.

Qwijib0 posted:

If they can categorize the traffic, they can optimize and throttle it transparently-- things like limiting netflix traffic to a megabit or less so that you'll get perfectly adequate 480p on your phone and not saturate a tower. And at that point the only people hitting their caps are people who *probably* should have a proper fixed wireless or wire line provider for doing the bandwidth-intensive thing that is not streaming music or video.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the precedent this sets?

If mobile audio and video are what's causing the majority of people to use their bandwidth, why not just make unlimited bandwidth for everyone as standard, instead of basically going "this site is okay, this isn't, this counts, this doesn't count". This is essentially what the net neutrality crowd is afraid of, that an ISP will basically control which services go through the network free and which cost "extra" (for this, in terms of bandwidth usage).

At the end of the day, it's basically saying "you're paying $X a month for unlimited access to these services, but all other services you have to use your allotted bandwidth to access as well". I get that people are all excited because FREE INTERNET STREAMING, but I can't see why this isn't better than just cutting the data packages all together and giving unlimited across the board.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Agreed, but so far it seems to just not be an issue brought up, so it will skirt by.

I think that's my problem with it.

Un-regulating certain services only (especially just high-bandwidth ones) seems more like a long-term positioning strategy to control bandwidth to services, disguised as a "look how much better we are than our competition" sort of thing, especially when it's virtually just offering unlimited bandwidth, but with control over which services it goes to. It makes me uneasy when thinking about the future prospects of decisions like this, especially if it sneaks in one step at a time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Burden posted:

That plan is over, now it's two lines for $100 but with 10 gigs on each line instead of unlimited. It ends the 14th. Go before it ends.

The two lines for $100 ends this month? What replaces it?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Burden posted:

2 lines for 100 would be 3 gigs on each line once the promotion ends.

So if you sign up now you get 10 gigs, if you wait a week you get 3 instead?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I'm going to put MY FIANCEE onto my plan, but for Reasons she's not able to get on it until January. When I went in, they told me I can add her on, get the $100/10 gig deal, and then just suspend the line for $10/mo until January.

I noticed that this will make my bill $60 and some change, including the suspension fee. That's the same price I was paying before for a single line of 3GB.

Why wouldn't you just do this in general? Buy two lines, suspend one, get a cheaper plan than a single individual?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

So how does the "unlimited" video work now? T-Mobile forcibly degrades your video quality to 480p, but just doesn't charge you for it, or can you opt-in to a non-SD resolution somehow?

edit: Ah, it seems that if you want it to not count, they force your resolution down for all video. If you don't you can keep logging in to your account and switching it. Sounds like a pain in the rear end to me, but at least the option is there.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24294#tutorial1

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 11, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

At the end of the day, T-Mobile is a corporation just like any other, they want to charge the most they can and deliver the least they can get away with, the only difference is that their competition is so atrocious they seem like saints by comparison for offering even an average service for an average price.

I switched from AT&T and I've been happy with them, but I'm under no illusion they're a bunch of saints just because their CEO says bad words on YouTube.

Also, does Binge On apply to tethering? Can you tether and watch (throttled) video without using tethered data?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

yes, when bingeon is active using any of the services over tether does not affect your quota and is subject to the same resolution restrictions.

That's weird, I just tried tethering and loading a youtube video on my computer and I could play in 1080p. It's set to ON in my Tmob settings.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

T-Mobile nearly died out when the iPhone came out.

It was already a hard market, but then AT&T got an enormous surge of customers (many who are still on AT&T).

Nobody predicted the success of the iPhone to change the landscape of phone service, and it hit small carriers the hardest. Even Verizon had a drop the first few years as people liked the iPhone more than their carrier.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Unlimited data for 3 months

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

T-Mobile is increasing their network, but in specific frequency bands that older phones don't have the hardware to utilize.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

This just in, T-Mobile CEO does generic hip edgy thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Activation fee

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

When you tether, do binged services use your data allowance?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Or more likely they're moving them in waves to keep the trading volume under control.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Wouldn't turning off binge on and tethering to an iPad for, say Netflix then use the 14 gig bucket?

Yes

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

When I was in the UK, I didn't have to do anything to get the free data and the like.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

It seems the "free" Tuesday's are just a massive advertising platform.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

It might have been legit and TMO is mistaken.

It also could be asinine verifying a legit contact.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

So if you're on that plan, you have to use BingeOn?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I assume they throttle you after you use a certain amount of data a month anyway.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As of this announcement, T-Mobile is officially:

Playing chicken with the FCC
Trashing their reputation with vocal nerds
The most expensive carrier base plan for up to 4 lines, not even counting hotspot charges, out of the top 4 carriers.

Not that we needed more evidence after that bizarro rant about the EFF, but at this point there's no escaping that John Legere is a genuinely stupid person.

But he says gently caress in his videos!!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Astro7x posted:

This is interesting, it didn't sound like they were keeping Simple Choice from all the PR news.

But it just makes the new plan make even less sense, since who the hell wants a plan with dial up hot spot speeds and SD video quality to save $25? If you use that much data in non media use, you really want the current unlimited plan, not this new bullshit.

If you have a family of 4, the $65 existing plan is $100 more a month.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Has TMUS announced any iPhone trade-in program like they've done in the past?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Is the CDMA radio a big deal for Europe? I don't recall what was used there.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

The problem isn't allowing toggling of Binge On, the problem is having a tier of service where you have to pay more to have non-"optimized" traffic.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

News about the iPhone:

You can only get the trade-in deal if you switch to the One plan. Otherwise you get the normal, lovely trade-in price.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I didn't last year.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am seeing conflicting information on the iPhone 7 trade in deal. Do you have to change your plan to T-Mobile ONE? I really would rather not do that.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I think John has been making GBS threads in boxes and sending it to people who don't want to switch the the One plan.