Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I switched over yesterday. Everyone was telling me how T Mobile would be terrible compared to Verizon and I should have gotten AT&T. I haven't really gotten full signal yet, but even at 2-3 bars, I get 15 up/down on speed tests. I also have signal inside my apartment which is the most important part. Maybe that was just due to the terrible radios inside my GNex, but apparently the radios in the HTC One M8 aren't too hot either. In any case, I'm happy so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The phone is worth 25 dollars, I wouldn't worry about breaking it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I spent a couple hours navigating their website and googling before I was able to find a page to try to apply an actual discount instead of a gift card I have no use for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably a dumb question but still worth asking, the limited high-speed data plans, those are 4G speeds until I hit the cap, right?

Looking at getting the 3GB plan because I really do not ever use more than 2 gigs a month of data and while I'm sure it's 4G data, I just want to be sure before committing myself.

Yeah, you get 4G speeds until you hit the cap. You get 1G free and it's 10 dollars for each 2 gigs after that until you get to 30 dollars where you can just get unlimited.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't Sprint also have unlimited data?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Would be cool if TMobile just takes over their towers. I've enjoyed TMobile so far. My only complaint is the lack of 4G coverage in areas I never go to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Changing the SIM should do nothing to your data. I just realized I don't get wifi calling with the GPE of the HTC One M8. No big deal I guess, but kind of lame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a video of the whole thing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Teeter posted:

I just got a T Mobile SIM and think I'm ready to start up with the nerd plan, but don't know when to actually make an account and do the activation. My current contract elsewhere will expire at the end of August, and T Mobile's site says that my number should port over okay. Do I need to wait for the other contract to end first then hope for a quick switch over?

Let the contract end and port the number before canceling your other account. When I had my number ported over, Verizon canceled that line immediately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's data usage as your phone sees it. Your phone doesn't know that those apps don't count and there's no point in it doing that anyway. Log in to T-Mobile and see what they say your data usage is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe beats streams from an approved source.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I mean it goes without saying that T-Mobile's network isn't as robust as ATT's or Verizon's. I'm on the Cricket $40 a month plan right now (uses ATT) and it's been really good to me - the only thing right now that is tempting me to try T-Mobile's nerd plan is the music streaming stuff.

I had T-Mobile where I live about five years ago and the experience with reception was...less than stellar. However, that was five years ago so I might poke around and see if it's gotten any better in my area.

Service is usually pretty good within city limits of a city with T Mobile coverage. Once you're outside, you'll be lucky to get anything more than calls and SMS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Good news for people on the nerd plan.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/call-me-maybe-introducing-free-voice.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I think if you port your number out of T-Mobile (to Google Voice, for instance), you can then get the nerd plan, since it's only for new lines.

This might be worth it. With the new hangouts and google voice merger, voice numbers might be able to accept MMS now.

Edit: Not at the moment apparently. I tried to send an MMS to my google voice number and it didn't get it. Sending a picture via hangouts on it just sends a URL.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 13, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When I bought my One M8 from HTC, they called me as soon as I ordered to make sure I actually ordered it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I always had good experiences with them for the month or two that I used T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What device is that.