Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can I use an unlocked, European iPhone 6 on MetroPCS? Their site seemed very vague about it when I checked and didn't include the 6 in their list of phones. I'm presuming they're not awful down here in S Florida as I see franchises everywhere, and I just want a few months off contract before I get a 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rad, so everything that applies to T-Mobile applies to MPCS yeah? There was a similar takeover back home, but I don't know if they share equipment yet. Thanks for checking that, sounds like a go if it's clear down here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was wondering where the MLB codes were coming from that people were trying to offload for $10-15 each in SA Mart.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm on Metro's $30 plan and am in Canada from tomorrow to Sunday. Is the easiest/cheapest way of keeping service to jump up to $40 plan and add the Canada $5 addon?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And of course after upgrading my line there's still no option to add Canada Unlimited. I don't mind Metros quality of service as it's good value, but their web portal is the worst I've ever used for a cellular company. I guess calling them is the only option, I'm sure that'll go super smoothly.

E: holy crap, trying to log in on my phone and it doesn't even ask for a username and password and just takes me inside someone else's account. Traced the address and luckily at least it's a Metro store or something and not some awful data breach.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it's just a place holder when there's nothing logged in. The site is so screwed on mobile it looked like a genuine customer until I traced the address.

Have arrived in Canada! I have North America Unlimited! It's connected to Bell so I guess I'm $15 down and relying on wifi or I get changed $15/MB!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's generally the requirement for a phone if I participate in this $300 trade in offer? I have a perfectly good iPhone 6 that I use on Metro that isn't damaged at all (except has a slightly iffy ringer toggle) but it's from Europe not the US. Is that likely to throw up any issue?

e: ah the IMEI check online cleared it OK.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 26, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe a bit of an obscure question that nobody else has ever cared about... but if I'm on a MetroPCS tariff that does "unlimited music" that says Apple Music is included, does this also cover iTunes Match? I think I'm the last person left who has that service...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s nice not to be alone! Altho I’ve been lazy and not actually got it running fully yet (I used it years ago and resubbed recently).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone else on Metro not get the monthly 'Time to pay your bill' text message anymore? I don't seem to get it ever since the T-Mobile takeover, and I keep getting cut off because I forget it doesn't come out automatically. Frustrating to find out the hard way, and missed a bunch of texts and a call this morning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah sorry, I meant the kind of rebranding thing they did a few months and kind of incorporated Metro a bit more. Maybe just a coincidence it seemed to line up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FistEnergy posted:

Looks like a nationwide TMO call outage started about 30 minutes ago. Very cool

Sounds like it's even bigger than just TMO/Metro

https://twitter.com/JamesTheFAM/status/1272604830603841536

In FL, everyone in my office (only a few of us, but 100%) is affected.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Charles posted:

The reporting of Verizon and others on Down detector seems to be from people who can't reach them (or Verizon who can't reach their T mobile friends) so I'm not 100% sold on this.

That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like there’s still problems, just got a text saying they couldn’t reach me.

If they could extend this outage so I don’t get a thousand work texts at 7am, I’d be most appreciative.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure, I saw it linked elsewhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve also been looking at the above deal, but it’s hard to convince myself to leave my $40/mo Metro plan, even though I’d like to upgrade from my XR. Is it generally considered one of the better deals of the year? I’ve already got AirPods Gen 2 but I guess I could get the 3s and sell my old ones, and if the Apple TV is a code id sell that too.

Feels like I’d be better off just putting some money aside each month and buying a handset straight out in a years time tbh, but maybe I’m not seeing the benefits?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm looking at the math and I just can't convince myself.

Metro:
Handset $1000
Trade in/Sell current XR $??? (nothing huge I'm sure but it's an OK phone still)
Line cost $40/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,200

T-Mobile
Handset $200 after $800 trade in
Line cost $85/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,750

It's over a few years, but it's a pretty big chunk of change. I'm guessing I could probably sell my XR for a similar amount I could sell the AirPods/Apple+ code for. I also had to laugh the promotion is for a pair of AirPod Gen 2s, but they didn't even offer those when I went to checkout, only 3s which I'd have to pay more for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

$200 for the XR at the moment, it's not a huge amount but sometimes it's just simpler to go that route. I think at this point I'll probably just wait until the next release and put some money aside over the next bunch of months, and hopefully the trade in amount won't be a huge amount difference (X is $200 and 8 is $160 atm).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how these deals never save me an money than what I'm on already, and I'm not on anything special. It's like $400 more to do that in my circumstances before I even sell my existing handset, drives me mad!

e:

To make sure I'm not missing anything, I'm using the 13 Pro 128gb as the 14 isn't on the site yet. I'm guessing taxes probably be about the same on both examples so I didn't do the math to include those.

$12/mo for the handset with $800 trade in for my XR
$85/mo for Magenta Max
totals $2,328 over 24 months

Whereas I keep my $40 Metro plan
$1,000 for the handset
$40/mo for my existing line
totals $1,960 for the same period

I guess if I needed a poo poo ton of data or had multiple lines it might work out, but you'd think there'd be more value to me being a customer locked in for multiple years would be something they'd want.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 7, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I ended up porting my number from MetroPCS to AT&T and all (eventually) went fine. Presumably I need to cancel my Metro payments, but now I can't log in to the web portal with my usual phone number/PIN. Is there something I have to do differently now, or did Metro do the smart thing and say 'hey this guy is not a customer anymore so we won't auto charge him going forward' which feels a bit like wishful thinking on my behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it looks like that might actually be the case, I'm actually somewhat impressed! Given my experience with carriers this week I'm kinda missing Metro already tbh.