Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

David Corbett posted:

Simple answer: something that utterly revolutionised the car business, or at least a certain segment of it:

A 1990 Lexus LS400.

I would want to do obnoxious burnouts in front of the Mercedes dealer, but I think the sheer class of it would keep Mr under control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkjAptBxe2Y&t=27s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen an LS400 with 800,000km's. They quite literally do not make them like they used to, and for once that's not a good thing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Slavvy posted:

They quite literally do not make them like they used to, and for once that's not a good thing.

Welcome to being middle age.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
te27 rolla w/a 2tg in all its carb fed glory

Harlan Dondelinger
Mar 13, 2014
Personally I'd have to go with a '69 Camaro. Timeless looks, and Ive built dozens of them while under employment at a now imfamous pro-touring shop.

Harlan Dondelinger fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 24, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

David Corbett posted:

Simple answer: something that utterly revolutionised the car business, or at least a certain segment of it:

A 1990 Lexus LS400.

I would want to do obnoxious burnouts in front of the Mercedes dealer, but I think the sheer class of it would keep Mr under control.

My brother had one of these in ~2005ish. For a boring old man car it was seriously a work of art. People constantly thought it was a brand new luxury car, until you'd show them the 80s cell phone built into the center console. And the designers even thought to put a third, smaller fold down sunshade that perfectly filled the gap between the rear view mirror and the roof and the left and right sunshades. Perfect.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

David Corbett posted:

A 1990 Lexus LS400.

That's just too easy.

My DD would have to be along the lines of old-school peak Brougham-ness:

Or I could go for some solid Teutonic loving (in 300SD form):

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 24, 2014

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My dream DD would be one with 30+ MPG, built in the 40's / 50's, unmolested, not in perfect condition so that I could do some small projects on it, not so expensive that it's too expensive to DD, nice design, easy to get parts.

gently caress it. I want a Karmann Ghia hardtop.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

There is an absolutely mint black on black W126 Mercedes belonging to somebody at work, next time I see it I'll get a picture. It makes the Range Rovers and A8s driven by the head cheeses look like tacky shitmobiles.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 24, 2014

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
If I had the money, I would drive all manner of classic Italian loveliness, but for now I DD this.....

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:stare: You do understand that you are literally living this thread, right?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I posted the Lil Red Express earlier, and I stand by that. Though, these two have been creeping up into my consciousness for a little while now, mainly because I love the backstory and everything about the racing class they were designed for.

Super rare, super expensive, but if I had the money I'd drive one of these two:

1963 Super Stock Dodge 330 with a cross ram Max Wedge 426 (not a Hemi!), or....

1964 Ford Thunderbolt

e- Here's a cool article about A/FX. Basically, the NHRA got tired of the factories sending crazy cars into classes where they dominated, and created multiple */FX classes for the different Factory Experimental cars.

The real history of the muscle car starts not with the GTO as is commonly said, it was the "Black Widow" Chevy 210, then the Super Stock Chryslers, then the Tbolt, then the GTO.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 25, 2014

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
280Z.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
My DD during everything that's not winter is only ~20 years old, but I think it might qualify, depending on how you define "classic":

(The sunroof deflector and front plate mount were removed a long time ago)

Most mechanicals are shared with the 540 and 740 of similar vintage, so parts availability / cost is generally pretty good, and the BMW forums have discussions on most of the common issues that pop up. Meaning, I can afford to run it without having to live in it.

If I could pick anything though, it would be some flavor of exotic. This has never been an option obviously, so I haven't done the research I would before deciding. As a result, I don't know exactly which one I'd get yet. Although, I keep looking at '97 - 2002 Lotus Esprits, to the point where if I find one cheap enough I might do something stupid :ohdear:

The lowest price I've seen was about $18k, but that was sometime in 2009 / 2010, when the recession was in full swing. Now they are closer to $40 :sigh:

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
My new daily (Dirty as hell in this pic, it has been raining pretty constantly here in Seattle as of late)...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I will have a Citroen DS sometime in my life

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Fayez Butts posted:

I will have a Citroen DS sometime in my life

Those are beautiful, always have been one of my favorite cars.

I do like the SM that replaced it better though...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Terrible Robot posted:

Those are beautiful, always have been one of my favorite cars.

I do like the SM that replaced it better though...

The CX actually replaced the DS. The SM was a Gran Tourer version of the DS with a Maserati motor in it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Black88GTA posted:

My DD during everything that's not winter is only ~20 years old, but I think it might qualify, depending on how you define "classic":

(The sunroof deflector and front plate mount were removed a long time ago)

Most mechanicals are shared with the 540 and 740 of similar vintage, so parts availability / cost is generally pretty good, and the BMW forums have discussions on most of the common issues that pop up. Meaning, I can afford to run it without having to live in it.

If I could pick anything though, it would be some flavor of exotic. This has never been an option obviously, so I haven't done the research I would before deciding. As a result, I don't know exactly which one I'd get yet. Although, I keep looking at '97 - 2002 Lotus Esprits, to the point where if I find one cheap enough I might do something stupid :ohdear:

The lowest price I've seen was about $18k, but that was sometime in 2009 / 2010, when the recession was in full swing. Now they are closer to $40 :sigh:

Don't know if that counts as a classic (yet) but that's a handsome car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Meh, yeah, there's no way those aren't a future classic IMO. They are kinda close to the 20 year thing anyway.

Harlan Dondelinger
Mar 13, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

1964 Ford Thunderbolt

If I had the means, I'd love to have a Thunderbolt. That was an absolute rocket from the factory. Definitely one of the greatest muscle cars ever built.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I think I've pretty much got my wife talked into buying a 1975-1979 Camaro RS (my first car was a '77 RS) and swapping in one of the new E-Rod crate LS3s and a T56 or TR6060. I think it'd make a pretty sweet DD.

(I'd paint it up to look just like the one I used to have: )

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

The CX actually replaced the DS. The SM was a Gran Tourer version of the DS with a Maserati motor in it

CX 2.5 Turbo II was a pretty sweet ride, I'd love to own one some day :allears:

Preferably one of the insane 6-wheeled versions.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 25, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, those were actual factory vehicles that way? :stare:

I thought that was either a photoshop or some custom build last time I saw a pic of one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They started as normal CX sedans, which were then elongated and modified into "Loadrunners" by Tissier, mostly for high-speed bulk transport (such as newspapers). Almost all of them were diesel and 5-speed manuals.

They are rad as gently caress, but unfortunately super super rare :(

E: Citroën has a long history of batshit insanecompletely awesome specialty conversions, both factory-sanctioned and home-made:

I would drive any of them, including this tire-testing version made for Michelin:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 25, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

I would drive any of them, including this tire-testing version made for Michelin:

At first glance I thought this picture was mid power slide "testing tires" then realized it was parked...so disappointing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

At first glance I thought this picture was mid power slide "testing tires" then realized it was parked...so disappointing.

Perhaps you'll be less disappointed to know that it weighed ~10 tons, had two Chevy 350 V8s, could reach 180km/h and was specifically designed to test truck tires until explosive failure.

The back of the car contains an entire testing rig powered by one of the V8s, designed to severely mistreat truck tires until they either exploded or blew off the rim.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

KozmoNaut posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

Perhaps you'll be less disappointed to know that it weighed ~10 tons, had two Chevy 350 V8s, could reach 180km/h and was specifically designed to test truck tires until explosive failure.

The back of the car contains an entire testing rig powered by one of the V8s, designed to severely mistreat truck tires until they either exploded or blew off the rim.

Good god. :stare:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My current DD, and the only car I own, is a 52 year old Studebaker:

I love it, but I think I'd really love to drive a 1963 Studebaker Avanti:

Supercharged 289 cu. in. engine and a 4-speed T-10 transmission. Fewer than 5,000 made. Beautiful, and pretty fast too with a 0-60 of 7.5 seconds.

http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/studebaker-avanti/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RODIMUS PRIME!

City17
Dec 3, 2006

This generation of Eldorado.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I already drive a classic, technically, I guess. A 1984 Volvo 240 Turbo.

Easy to work on and pretty fun to drive. Nothing insane but that's what I like about it.

If I had to pick a classic,

quote:

just remember to take into account the degrees of reliability, safety, economy, etc that you're comfortable with

well...

Probably still a Volvo. v :) v

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Armchair Calvinist posted:

If I had to pick a classic,

well...

Probably still a Volvo. v :) v

I love this one, it's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
The 1984-85 Celica. She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine.

Or comedy option, the (possibly technically an actual) classic that I already DD: AE96 Seca Ultima Corolla.

Dude Sweet fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread