Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sector_corrector posted:

Great episode. Lousy Superbowl keeping me from the next episode for an extra week.

This. Really great episode-way to do the cliffhanger though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
I know, I know, the gas masked man in his underwear was in the preview. But at that last second where the screen froze at him, I was mortified.

PS- no clothes, gas mask, ties to Aryan Nation. They've stumbled on the meth lab they were talking about moments before, our "green eared spaghetti man" was makin meth in the woods, yo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Before anyone gets upset, let me clarify that I actually really enjoy the Superbowl. I wonder what Cohle thinks about it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Man, "And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it" was in the previews before the show started, and it was already a great line, but the entire episode and especially the rest of that speech really made it something else.

What a great loving show.

edit-

shut up netface posted:

I know, I know, the gas masked man in his underwear was in the preview. But at that last second where the screen froze at him, I was mortified.
I somehow completely skipped over you writing this sentence, but I can't agree more. Saw it in the preview last week, saw it in the previews for the show, but the way the music swells to the credits and freeze-frames on him, after Rust's monologue, it's absolutely horrifying. Chills down my spine, and just a complete feeling of dread. Pretty incredible cliffhanger.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 27, 2014

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Man, Alternate Reality Walter White really let himself go :stare:

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

GonSmithe posted:

Man, "And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it" was in the previews before the show started, and it was already a great line, but the entire episode and especially the rest of that speech really made it something else.

What a great loving show.

Agreed, it and "World needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door" managed to have serious impact in context despite being in the previews. It may be because I have a penchant for existential crises and Matthew McConaughey in general, but Rust Cohle is turning out to be one hell of a character. What's interesting is that he's clearly putting on a show himself - best seen in the 2012 "I'm important! Me!" scene - but the show buys into it completely and what eventually happens is the super dramatic cliffhanger to this episode. I can see someone who doesn't like/enjoy Cohle to pass this show off but I'm eating this poo poo up. Great loving show.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

Man, Alternate Reality Walter White really let himself go :stare:

Perhaps Todd's Uncle had a stint in Louisiana in the mid 90s.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really love how beautifully/interesting the show is shot. I hope someone somewhere picks up some cinematography awards.

I like how there are a lot of long shots of places that both seem like they should be beautiful, but there's such a sense of sadness to them to keep them from being so. Also the way even when they're in the midst of places filled with grinding poverty the shadow of industry always looms in the background, be it the refinery's, the chemical plants, of the container ships just gliding by from above.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I love the soundtrack to this show. It's not subtle at all, just deeply foreboding. Each time the scene changes I get on the edge of my seat because I can feel we're getting closer and closer to some hosed up poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are they slowing increasing the empty beer cans in front of Rust during the interview scenes? I swear last episode they only had one on the table and now they're up to 3. I'm hoping in the interviews he starts acting more inebriated as it goes on.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

Are they slowing increasing the empty beer cans in front of Rust during the interview scenes? I swear last episode they only had one on the table and now they're up to 3. I'm hoping in the interviews he starts acting more inebriated as it goes on.

I was kind of already picking up on that. He's definitely getting more odd and nihilistic as it goes on. Even one of the interviewers had to get up and leave partway through (I think) after his speech about identity or whatever.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Just to put this out there, but if they suspect that Rusty has anything to do with the current murders I really doubt they would let him drink and wield a knife in the interview room

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Dubar posted:

Just to put this out there, but if they suspect that Rusty has anything to do with the current murders I really doubt they would let him drink and wield a knife in the interview room

The younger 2012 detective definitely has kind of an "oh poo poo :ohdear:" look on his his face when Rust pulls out the knife. They wouldn't have searched him if the pretense for the interview was "we just want to go over the case/original files were lost."

E: but yea, no way they'd let him drink irl

E2: also it was pretty awesome seeing Eli Thompson with those sideburns :v:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 27, 2014

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Dubar posted:

Not sure if you caught it, but before they go on the beer run for Rust in episode 1 he asks if they need/expect the interview to be admissible.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This show was made for me basically, I'm completely in love

What were they talking about that Cohl was perfect at? Getting people to confess?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

beanieson posted:

The younger 2012 detective definitely has kind of an "oh poo poo :ohdear:" look on his his face when Rust pulls out the knife. They wouldn't have searched him if the pretense for the interview was "we just want to go over the case/original files were lost."

E: but yea, no way they'd let him drink irl

E2: also it was pretty awesome seeing Eli Thompson with those sideburns :v:

Well all of it adds up if they are just getting info (advice?) from him. I just think theres zero chance he's a suspect in anything other than being kinda weird.

Also why the hell does the one 2012 cop keep leaving the room

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dubar posted:

Also why the hell does the one 2012 cop keep leaving the room

He's the killer and he's laughing about how good of a job he did tricking everyone

nopants
May 29, 2004
Wow, it does look like Marty's ring finger on his left hand is missing the last two digits :stare:

Or he has his finger bent at just the right angle. I'm not sure. Later scene shows he clearly still has all his fingers. Ignore me!

nopants fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 27, 2014

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

People mentioned earlier that they probably set this in Lousiana because it was cheap to shoot there. While Treme showed New Orleans in all it's hosed up glory, I can't imagine the state is happy with their decision about this particular show. I wonder if the voices in this thread will get angrier as we get deeper in.

Do you think the juxtaposition between the 2012 detectives both being black as opposed to the all white 1995 squad was a deliberate decision or am I reading too much into it?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

pentyne posted:

After the part in tonight's episode where Rust is talking about how religion makes people feel entitled and he does his little act I was thinking "That man is drunk off his rear end".

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Aurubin posted:

Do you think the juxtaposition between the 2012 detectives both being black as opposed to the all white 1995 squad was a deliberate decision or am I reading too much into it?

Deliberate for sure. The office is also much brighter and cleaner looking in the 2012 shots.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

Great episode. Lousy Superbowl keeping me from the next episode for an extra week.

Oh, is that what it was? I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it is skipping a week. I looked at the calendar for a holiday weekend, and all I saw was Groundhog Day.

What I actually guessed it was was to space out the series and to place a gap after an important episode. I thought of this before the episode and after it assumed I was right. (Now I realize it was the Super Bowl, of course.)

I love that the show's events are not the only (or even primary?) focus compared to the lessons in philosophy of life. (I may be a bit disappointed if the term "anatta" isn't stated by name by the end.) It's like watching George Carlin's lectures and at least certain aspects of Sweeney Todd.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Really enjoying this! Great last scene and music to end on. Haha Alternate Walter White indeed!

Never realised how quite up this street this show is. Reading the interview with the creator he mentioned a long list of people he enjoyed reading.

Any recommendations on where to start?

He mentioned Conrad, Faulkner, Camus, Dostoevsky, Henry Miller, Robert Stone, Denis Johnson, Jim Harrison, Lovecraft, Campbell, Barker, Straub, George Higgins, Hammett, Ross MacDonald, Ellroy.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ally_1986 posted:

Really enjoying this! Great last scene and music to end on. Haha Alternate Walter White indeed!

Never realised how quite up this street this show is. Reading the interview with the creator he mentioned a long list of people he enjoyed reading.

He mentioned Conrad, Faulkner, Camus, Dostoevsky, Henry Miller, Robert Stone, Denis Johnson, Jim Harrison, Lovecraft, Campbell, Barker, Straub, George Higgins, Hammett, Ross MacDonald, Ellroy.

Try James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. Murdered woman, detectives losing their poo poo, dark atmosphere. The film adaptation is not great, but his L.A. quartet also spawned L.A. Confidential (both book and movie are really good).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If you're a fan of the way True Detective shifts between timelines and fills in the blanks between past and present, while offering multiple perspectives, Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is the book for you. He's the only one on that list I have much experience with, unfortunately, but that book is amazing. And if you end up liking Faulkner, you'll probably like Cormac McCarthy as well, who eventually found his own voice but definitely wears the Faulkner influence on his sleeve fairly often. It's heavy - like, Biblical-heavy - but Blood Meridian has that combination of seemingly supernatural, horrific violence, philosophizing and tension between theism/nihilism that True Detective seems to be aiming for.

Conrad's Heart of Darkness is a must-read for anybody, anywhere, and is insanely atmospheric and haunting.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Two weeks. You've gotta be kidding me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Criminal Minded posted:

If you're a fan of the way True Detective shifts between timelines and fills in the blanks between past and present, while offering multiple perspectives, Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is the book for you.

I'd probably start with As I Lay Dying or Light In August as a first Faulkner novel.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For Miller, Quiet Days in Clichy was my favorite. But then again all I remember is it being only about loving. I can't remember the plot per se.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I was lost when Woody's wife called Matt Mc.

Who was Steve Garaci?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

ShutteredIn posted:

Deliberate for sure. The office is also much brighter and cleaner looking in the 2012 shots.

Yeah, but the old office could have been trashed in Rita and you're dealing with a ~10 year old building versus what was likely a ~30 year old one before. I am not sold either way.

edit: I also want to say "spot on" to those people pointing out Rust/Marty's going bad moment having something to do with Marty's wife. I see the foreshadowing there now, if they decide to follow that path remains to be seen, but the set up is there.

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 27, 2014

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

stoops posted:

I was lost when Woody's wife called Matt Mc.

Who was Steve Garaci?

Some other detective. Marty used that as an excuse to go out--probably drink more--and go over to that girl's apartment.

Loved this episode, definitely my favourite one so far. McConaughey obviously keeps killing it but Woody completely owned this episode. It was the first time his character got to be properly filled out, so that helped.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The way they did the long shot of gasmask man loping about the trailer area reminded me a bit of old Bigfoot footage and I really like that.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

McGann posted:

edit: I also want to say "spot on" to those people pointing out Rust/Marty's going bad moment having something to do with Marty's wife. I see the foreshadowing there now, if they decide to follow that path remains to be seen, but the set up is there.

Marty is probably going to get psychotically jealous, get in a big argument, and spill the beans that he's been loving around to try and get back at his wife only to find out that her and Rust haven't been doing anything.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

shut up netface posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/iz8PaUP.png[/

shut up netface posted:

poo poo I never even put together the meth making and this- I saw the guy walking around and was thinking crazy monster getup like how the girl was artistically arranged. This is the first HBO show I've truly been obsessed with when I watch it in ages.

We are three episodes in. I wonder when will we see the end of the first case and how it connects to the current second case? Definitely wish this had been done like House of Cards - I can't wait a week or two in between.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They'll probably pull the old switcheroo and the next case will be Brother Mouzone and the other guy investigating someone else.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Woody and McConaughey are absolutely destroying it. I really like the 2012 sequences with McConaughey loving with the new team. He knows what they want from him, but he's going to tell it in his own drat way.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

shut up netface posted:

Okay, I get this dude is almost naked and wearing a gasmask because he's cooking meth inside that old cargo container.

The machete is what has me puzzled :ohdear:

Ugh, two loving weeks to wait goddammit.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Faulkner isn't a good recommendation if you're looking to read something in the style of the show.

Read Daniel Woodrell's Bayou Trilogy. Same setting, similar use of landscape, same focus on character building, and it's noir detective story

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

frosteh posted:

Okay, I get this dude is almost naked and wearing a gasmask because he's cooking meth inside that old cargo container.

The machete is what has me puzzled :ohdear:

Ugh, two loving weeks to wait goddammit.

Machetes are handy to have in places like that if you need to clear paths for walking/building things etc.

Or like, murdering people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ally_1986 posted:

Heart of Darkness is the obvious entry for Conrad. For Faulkner and Ellroy I agree that As I Lay Dying and The Black Dahlia are probably the best starting points, respectively, as although it's not the peak of their work they're strong and relatively accessible introductions. For Camus try The Stranger (aka The Outsider), which is short and also would seem to inform some of the show's air of mutual alienation between Rust and Louisiana institutions. For Hammett try Red Harvest - it's very old-school, but agreeably cynical and the origin of the classic one-man-playing-two-sides noir plot that was swiped for Yojimbo, Fistful of Dollars, Miller's Crossing, etc.

For George Higgins I'd plug either The Friends of Eddie Coyle or Cogan's Trade. I should probably mention Higgins (a former D.A.) was more interested in Boston underworld dynamics and dialogue than plot machinations, which tend to be brief and tragicomically futile. Following Higgins criminals is like watching guys playing chess without knowing if there's anyone at the other side of the board.

edit: I agree that Faulkner isn't exactly crime fiction but it has an awful lot to do with Southern Gothic, fatalism, spectres of history, and other ideas and themes already expressed in the show. It's worth getting to The Sound and the Fury and Absalom, Absalom! in any case - the latter being as close to a detective novel as Faulkner got.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread