Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Latest Update - Overlord: Dark Legend #14 - All Hail... Lord Gromgard?

Overlord is a series of action-adventure games that allow control over an army of "minions" who smash and kill everything that gets in the Overlord's way (they're also prone to killing things that didn't actually get in the way). The Overlord himself isn't unstoppable, but he achieves victory by having his endless horde do all the dirty work. The minions can be swept over complicated terrain, forage for equipment, guard specific locations or move in tactical formations to take down anything they encounter. We'll be playing Overlord I & the Raising Hell expansion followed by Overlord II. The sequel is my personal favorite because it is just bursting at the seams with charm. In addition, two other Overlord games were released for the Wii and DS. FutureFriend will be playing the Wii title, and we'll take a quick look at the DS release (it's bad).

I've always been fond of playing as the bad guy; games like Blood Omen, Saints Row, Fable and Kirby's Adventure. This game is all about that premise, allowing us to destroy or enslave just about everything we meet while growing in power. There are a few different morality choices that pop up which will affect our upgrades and the ending. I'll be going for the 100% corruption in Overlord I, but we'll also show off what 0% corruption looks like on the side. We'll be doing the equivalent of this in the Overlord 2, which has a similar system. A vote has been conducted to determine which route we should take in the sequel; an overwhelming majority voted for 100% Domination with a side of 100% Destruction.

Minions are the primary force in the game. The race is divided into 4 tribes (colors), each with their own strengths and abilities. Every minion tribe has a hive which the Overlord can (somehow) use to assert dominance over them. Only the browns are available to us at the start of our journey because we lost the other three hives. On top of that, we also have a size limitation of only 5 minions because our ransacked tower has lost the totems we need to control a larger horde. Each minion totem we find will increase our horde size until we are commanding a powerful force of little jerks.

Browns are toughest of all the Minions. They're never ones to shy away from a fight. In fact it's quite difficult to get them to stop! — Gnarl

Browns are the only tribe available at the beginning of the game, and not in great number either. They serve as front-line warriors meant to take and deal damage without any concern for their safety. They can loot a variety of gear ranging from rats and pumpkins to halberds and chain mail that will boost their effectiveness dramatically.

Reds aren't particularly hardy, so you mustn't let enemies get too close to them, Sire. But use them in a horde, and that's a different story — a story full of flames and burning and screaming! — Gnarl

Ranged combat! These minions are the archers of the group, lobbing fireballs from a safe distance. They are fragile as hell; being attacked by just about anything is certain doom for them. Reds are happiest when they are set on top of a cliff to rain fire down below while browns keep them safe. They are completely immune to fire.

Greens...They aren't terribly hygienic I'm afraid. But they are good at sneaking up on things. Use them to guard an area, and they're practically invisible. As long as the enemies don't notice the smell! — Gnarl

The rogue class of minion, they backstab enemies for high damage when given the opportunity. Their cloaking ability allows them to get the jump on approaching hostiles, and they are especially skilled at eliminating larger threats. With a natural immunity to poison, greens can safely clear those types of obstacles for us.

Blue Minions' minds appear to be on a different plane of existence half the time. When they do decide to join us on this one, their healing and magical-damage skills can be most useful. — Gnarl

Minions even have a priest class! You'll always want to have a few of these guys around. They don't heal at all, but they can resurrect any fallen minion buddy almost instantly so long as they get to the corpse in time. On guard duty, they'll auto-res our units! Blues are capable of fighting magic-based enemies that other minions can't harm, but otherwise are not built for combat. They are the only minion that can swim, and may act as lifeguards when minions of other tribes go a little too deep.

Smite fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Liking this so far! Looking forward to more vids!

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
God these games are fantastic. It's just the fun of watching your little horde of insane, gibbering minions dogpile onto enemies and beat the crap out of them that makes it so drat fun. It's like playing Pikmin with more sharp bits, looting and the occasional burning. :allears:

It also kicks some of the usual fantasy cliches in the rear end on the way through the game as well.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Yesssssss. This reminds me I need to still get these games, but I've played them and they're amazing. It's like Pikmin, only with crude humor and a fantasy setting.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh, sweet. I never finished this game, don't remember why. Couldn't even get the second one running, so I'll be looking forward to that.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
If I am not wrong, the person responsible for the writing in this game is Terry Pratchett's daughter, Rhianna Pratchett, so that could explain the humor a bit at least since she must have been influenced by her father's writing.

Cauchemar
Oct 21, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

Oh, sweet. I never finished this game, don't remember why. Couldn't even get the second one running, so I'll be looking forward to that.
Me neither.
I stopped playing because the micro'ing became really obnoxious. After a while every second enemy type could just wipe your entire squad if you're not careful. It basically went downhill from when you get the Blue Minions - they were useless in combat, were constantly dying and trying to ressurrect fellow minions was a huge pain to do. Still you had to have like 5 of those around so you can activate some switch in the water to progress or otherwise you'd need to run back to the last spawn point.
I also got lost constantly, but that was probably my own fault for not paying attention.

Still I'm curious to see the later levels of this place, I think I quit somewhere around the desert area.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This is my favorite pikmin game, Smite is a cool dude and this seems like a chill group for a silly fun game.

I got stuck somewhere halfway into the sequel, but that feels like at least a decade ago so now i can actually appreciate all the hilarious voice acting. I still remember that your minions can loot barrels and beer mugs and the start peeing over everything. High brow this ain't! :)

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I just love the variety of stuff the minions will put on to improve their combat rating. It's also why I rarely ever sacrificed them, because just looking at this horde with its slapdash armor was a great thing.
I understood that correctly, you're going for the 100% corrupt rating? The I vote for the mace once you have the opportunity.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I played the hell out of the demo, where it was apparent I needed an upgrade. Dual-cores were a new thing, but not expensive like the quads would be. I forgot I have the Wii game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfpGNa-Ihw&hd=1

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
I'm guessing by the fact that you seem to be playing the PC version that you won't be showing the Battlerock Nemesis DLC for Overlord 2, am I correct?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

RefinedUndefined posted:

console-exclusive DLC

Nope, I don't have the means to record that since it never got a PC release for some reason. I hate to leave out content though so I might figure something out when we get there.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Sad that I never did play either of these games since they look really fun.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I loved this game to death after i got it, the raising hell expansion, and Overlord 2 during a Halloween sale a few years ago but i wound up stuck somewhere and just gave up after losing an hours playtime due to poor checkpoint placements.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I love to play the spammy factions in RTS games, theres something about unleashing hordes of disposable minions on your enemy that caters to my inner super villian. I also got a thing for summoning stuff to do the fighting for me in RPG games, so this game looks like the best of both worlds! Thanks for lets playing this so I can live vicariously through you!

Also, how does multiplayer work? I assume every player has a band of minions to use, but do you build your own minion squad beforehand, or are there spawning pools scattered around the maps like the weapon spawns in oldschool fps games?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Wasn't there also a multiplayer mode that was essentially a koop "Defend the Gates" kind of thing? I think I read something about that somewhere.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
In 2 there is a co-op mode like that, yes. You and whatever loser you roped into playing with you get your hordes out and try to survive against increasing numbers of enemies. Till the point you have like half a dozen bosses on the field and your minions die like fleas. It was actually pretty fun.

The game does its cartoonish evil tongue in cheek pretty well, and makes no apologies for being crude and crass. I appreciate it. Some of it even pretty much goes "You're doing it because that's what evil overlords do, I don't have to explain myself to you."

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I can't quite remember why I stopped playing the first one, probably had problems controlling at some point. I did enjoy the tone and shenanigans though, so quite looking forward to seeing what I missed out on!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You probably got to the stage with giant AOE murdermachines. It was also where they were running out of money.

It figures there was DLC for Overlord 2. I thought it was such poo poo that porting it to the PC was not worth it, despite Raising Hell working out in the end.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I never did play Raising Hell, and it's been ages since I've played the main game, so I'm definitely watching this.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.
Please post screenshots of all the minion hats as you go.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

These games are very fun to play and I'm really looking forward to a swarm of minions beating the poo poo out of anyone and anything in their way.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yesss. Look at all those browns with their little sickles and scythes and pumpkin hats.

Good to see this being LP'd! I have finished both this and #2. Haven't done Raising Hell for some reason.

I do remember parts of it being obnoxiously hard, but well. Evil finds a way. Even if the way is often 'Throw more minions at the problem"

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

Merry Magpie posted:

Please post screenshots of all the minion hats as you go.

I agree with this.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Ah, one of my favourite games. Like Deus Ex I keep it installed to both preemt the reinstalling curse as well as just going into my endgame save and do some therapeutic smiting of lesser creatures. Which one should only really do with the final tier of equipment. With everything before you are just too squishy.

Now regarding being squishy I think I found how minion health works through trial and error: as long as they are engaged in combat their health doesn't regenerate but out of it they recover within seconds. I found I lose a lot less minions by recalling them for a second or two occasionally and then throwing them back at the enemies.

Honestly, I like the 0% corruption ending a lot better but I also have a 100% corruption save. Being truly evil is a lot more work, let me tell you! And I also missed out on Raising Hell. So that should be interesting. The second game I still have a years old save somewhere half-way through or so but I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

I'll try to get screenshots of at least the interesting hats as they come up.

Here's one!

Overlord, Episode 3 - Hunger Pains

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This game was so much fun and I really need to buy it again.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Koorisch posted:

If I am not wrong, the person responsible for the writing in this game is Terry Pratchett's daughter, Rhianna Pratchett, so that could explain the humor a bit at least since she must have been influenced by her father's writing.

She also wrote Mirror's Edge and Tomb Raider 2013. Compared to those games, she seems really confident in writing comedy as opposed to drama.

Nuramor posted:

Wasn't there also a multiplayer mode that was essentially a koop "Defend the Gates" kind of thing? I think I read something about that somewhere.

I think the first game had a traditional vs multiplayer and a second Plunder mode which was a race to get the most points.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
So forgive me if I missed some mechanics explanations, but what is this "corruption" level that people keep talking about, and what does it do at high or low levels?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

GenHavoc posted:

So forgive me if I missed some mechanics explanations, but what is this "corruption" level that people keep talking about, and what does it do at high or low levels?

Basically its a one way morality meter. You perform certain evil acts and they give you corruption points. It makes the Overlord look more evil and also there are different endings for 0%, 100% and in-between.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Man this game has aged pretty drat well. I vaguely remember the difficulty getting quite dickish later on, but at least for now the game actually remembers that it's more about watching your goofy minions clowning around and smashing every object in sight instead of frame perfect action combat interspersed with having to run back and farm another 30 minions for the next attempt.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

SovietPotatoe posted:

Basically its a one way morality meter. You perform certain evil acts and they give you corruption points. It makes the Overlord look more evil and also there are different endings for 0%, 100% and in-between.

Forgive me, but the point of the game is that you're an evil overlord, right? Is there some reason you would not do evil things?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

GenHavoc posted:

Forgive me, but the point of the game is that you're an evil overlord, right? Is there some reason you would not do evil things?

The alignment system doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense until you realize that 'evil' means maniacally killing everything whereas 'good' actually means enslaving the populace in order to maximize how much loot you can demand from them while they worship you. We would be doing things like getting the peasants their food back in order to sort of babysit an investment in slaves and future food/money.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

GenHavoc posted:

Because you can still be the overlord, only the people seem to like you (and so aren't likely to try and revolt to send for annoying heroes to try and crush you). It's hard to be overlord if all your subjects are dead.

I think there are some benefits for not going for corruption, although I don't recall what they are. In this case, the life force you get for keeping the food isn't really all that useful because farming life force is easy to do - especially later on. It's really personal preference more than anything.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
There are no real benefits to going for 0 corruption - you get some bonus sheep outside the first gate, and your top tier spells don't have friendly fire. Not really worth the effort though.
You also can't get the achievement for having all the tower accoutrements without gaining corruption (as a few of them need to be stolen).

That, the fact that being the "good guy" requires making things a bit more difficult for yourself, is part of why I love this game. (As you mention, the food thing means little in the long run but it's a nice boost in the short term - as are some of the later cases). I love the sequel as well, but for different reasons. I actually have the Wii game, but I haven't hooked my Wii back up since I bought it - does anyone know if it's any good?

Kloro fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 16, 2014

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Because you can still be the overlord, only the people seem to like you (and so aren't likely to try and revolt to send for annoying heroes to try and crush you). It's hard to be overlord if all your subjects are dead.

I think there are some benefits for not going for corruption, although I don't recall what they are. In this case, the life force you get for keeping the food isn't really all that useful because farming life force is easy to do - especially later on. It's really personal preference more than anything.

Usually it's a choice between an obvious benefit now vs. future gains. If you return the food and come back, there are a lot more sheep to farm lifeforce from.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hermetian posted:

Usually it's a choice between an obvious benefit now vs. future gains. If you return the food and come back, there are a lot more sheep to farm lifeforce from.

It's also usually a question of you succumbing to the same sins that corrupted the now former heroes. Give up food, or fall prey to gluttony?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Awesome, I really liked this game but don't think I ever actually finished it. Always wanted to see the corrupt stuff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Jester has more lines in the tutorial after you leave him alone. While he hides from you and gets beat on, he get increasingly alarmed and says he needs to heal. He then says he doesn't want to die, that you are his master, and finally gets frustrated and yells if you have better things to do.

The pumpkins they wear have different faces. They also get nose rings.

You missed the magic spell. I guess you won't really need it for the boss.

Kloro posted:

There are no real benefits to going for 0 corruption - you get some bonus sheep outside the first gate, and your top tier spells don't have friendly fire. Not really worth the effort though.
You also can't get the achievement for having all the tower accoutrements without gaining corruption (as a few of them need to be stolen).

That, the fact that being the "good guy" requires making things a bit more difficult for yourself, is part of why I love this game. (As you mention, the food thing means little in the long run but it's a nice boost in the short term - as are some of the later cases). I love the sequel as well, but for different reasons. I actually have the Wii game, but I haven't hooked my Wii back up since I bought it - does anyone know if it's any good?
The Wii game has bloom and fewer minions that still cause lag spikes in places, because it is laughably underpowered. It is always worth it for more overlording.

I think the food bonus is either 50 or 100 browns. I get half that on a trip through Spree.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I thought Overlord II was way better about the moral choice stuff, especially the idea that both choices are evil, and you're just picking the flavor of evil you want. All the "moral choices" in Overlord II essentially boil down to "Kill Everyone" or "Enslave Everyone."

• Locked thread