Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

GenHavoc posted:

Forgive me, but the point of the game is that you're an evil overlord, right? Is there some reason you would not do evil things?

Because you can still be the overlord, only the people seem to like you (and so aren't likely to try and revolt to send for annoying heroes to try and crush you). It's hard to be overlord if all your subjects are dead.

I think there are some benefits for not going for corruption, although I don't recall what they are. In this case, the life force you get for keeping the food isn't really all that useful because farming life force is easy to do - especially later on. It's really personal preference more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Glad to see an LP of this, I don't think I have the time to play through it again myself.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Smite posted:

Overlord, Episode 5 - Subquests (of Evil!)

The Raising Hell expansion content makes an initial appearance here because I have it installed, but you could also install it after the game is done and play it if you want. I'll be doing it all at the end of the game in any case.

Yeah, thematically, I think it makes sense to do it at the end.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I do think that the steal the food/give the food choice is clever, because the reward for evil is to get a huge one-time lump-sum of life-force, and the reward for good is to get a small, but repeatable bonus to life-force that you have to put a bit of effort into getting... but can eventually exceed that of the evil reward. Quick and evil the dark side is, why it is so alluring.

It's not like life force is hard to get. Go to the arena and farm beetles - each one drops 3 life-force and there are 25 beetles per round. It's tricky at first, especially before you get blues, but I worked out a technique to lure a couple over at a time. You need the greens (and preferably the blues), though.

I'm getting really tempted to reinstall this and play along, because I'm getting too impatient to see some of the other puzzle dungeons.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 22, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I started replaying yesterday, and I was not prepared at all for how nasty the raiders are. As you said, I indeed lost my entire horde and nearly died. I had to run away shooting fireballs and barely survived.

After that I was a lot more cautious and used my Reds to snipe enemies dead as much as possible.

I also had a really hard time and lost a lot to the eyeball boss because I was playing terribly. Also, no you do NOT want to break the barrier to attack it. See that blue beam the eyeballs are shooting at the floor? That kills minions really, really fast. You need the high ground or range to attack those.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Seyser Koze posted:

I remember this upcoming part always drove me nuts, since it basically forces you to ping-pong between Evernight, Heaven's Peak, and then Evernight again to proceed.

True, but if you know where you're going, you only have to make a brief visit to Heaven's Peak, then it's not a problem.

Major_JF posted:

I just thought it had to do with her being one of the few people that weren't freaked out by him or the minions as the reason that he went to get the luggage. And after she made herself at home she got away with it because she was trying to be helpful.

If there's one thing an Overlord can respect, it's Strength. Rose has a strength of personality, and she's not undermining his authority.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like a lot of the puzzles in this game, even if they can be really annoying at times. On my current run, I actually skipped right to getting the blue hive after getting the greens, so I missed out on some of the dialogue in this update.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Smite posted:

The worst thing about that snake in particular is he seems to prefer to target the blues on the beach over the ones that are trying to provoke him on the upper land, so he kills the lifeguards constantly. Thankfully, this thing's HP isn't too terribly high. I failed to mention it in the update but anything that completely destroys a minion corpse makes it impossible to resurrect; the snake can bite some of the minions and cause that.

I think it helps to keep the blue guard marker back a bit.

quote:

And yeah, we have Gerblyn in the next episode where we cover a lot of bugs and weird stuff. The next ep. coincidentally is Understreets, the level I hate the most.

Yes, I'm halfway through that one now and it's a bit annoying - I think I found the bugged water snake that Gerblyn mentioned..

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Overlord music is great. I can't talk about the best use of the theme yet, though.

I picked up the Humble Bundle for the Overlord Games, if only because at times SecureROM has a hard time figuring out that it is in fact the original Overlord DVD in my drive. It might be because I had to get a digital download version of Raising Hell to go with it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In that isolated nook with the Reds and Greens, I discovered that the sewers have little ledges by the walls and if you stick Blues on guard markers on those ledges, then sweep your reds/greens to watery graves, the blues will sometimes bring them back to stand on the little ledges, and then you can move the reds/greens around carefully... but I still couldn't get them out, or I the blues left them in places I didn't want them to leave, or the reds got stuck, and it was a huge waste of time.

Yeah, I tried using the egg here, it wasn't helpful. I had to send a minion to get the snake to strike, then turn the wheel while it had its fangs struck. When it got loose, I called my minions back, but the snake struck again, missed and got stuck. Repeat until the wheel was turned. The wheel does NOT reset if you let go, though.

I've got to keep playing to stay ahead of the LP.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Sylphosaurus posted:

Seriously, is there a single sewer level in the history of computergames that isn't a complete unfun slog?

No One Lives Forever had a short one. It had the sign "Mandatory FPS Sewer Level" in it, and it took about 30 seconds to pass through.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cryohazard posted:

The food was taken as supplies, though, and the Overlord already has plenty of roast, tenderized mutton.

The Overlord isn't exactly short on Brown Life force, so I think that yes, taking the food supplies you don't really need instead of giving it to starving peasants does count as Gluttony.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

It gets converted to Life Force, not food for eating. The upcoming choice is even less clear.

It doesn't loving matter. Same principle. You're ignoring the theme to quibble about semantics. You are right though that these choices are subtle. I didn't always catch the theme myself - like for the Sloth one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The zombies by that first wheel in the Understreets (2) do not constantly respawn, there's just a lot of them.

Forging takes a lot of minions - Smite is now down to the low double digits for some of them, but farming life-force is what the arena is for. Beetle groups give you a total of 75 lifeforce, so it's very efficient as long as no one dies. I'm up to 30 minions now, and worked out a technique of 12 10 Blues to hang back at a guard marker to guard, 8 10 Greens in two groups to do their invisible sneak attack, and 10 Browns that I sweep out and back to lure a couple beetles at a time back to the ambush point. It works very well as long as you don't attract too many beetles into a fight at once.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 5, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I haven't used any minions for forging yet, because I'm saving up for the final set, but after doing 3 and a bit areas I have an 87% survival rate [1684/1919] (which does include all the free lifeforce from Arena farming).

my dad posted:

Just keep a bunch of browns on a guard marker in the back, along with a pair of blues on a separate one and lure the bugs in yourself, 2-3-4 at a time depending on how many minions you have. All you need to do is move back, sweep in the browns, clean up the results, and go do it again.

I used to do it that way, but I think using sweeping of minions as a lure is much faster than running out, back and then calling them to attack. I might use too many blues though, but that's mostly for the times when I screw up.

EDIT: I screwed up a few times just now, but thanks to having a whole lot of Blues, I lost no one. But I am going to lower my ratios to 10 each of Brown, Blue, and Green.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've learned to be careful how I bring Reds with me - especially important for a 0% Corruption run.

Smite posted:

Yeah it's tedious for sure but farming arena beetles after you're capable of obliterating them provides an infinite amount of life force of any color in no time. You just have to keep an eye on the ones that are exploding. If you color-match, you won't even have to do that, but that won't help you win quickly against the blues and reds.

I don’t care about the colour of the exploding ones, that’s why I brought all those blues. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I made the mistake of trying to fight those three Succubi. It went very poorly. They have a terrain advantage - those ledges are really hard to reach from the ground. You have to go all the way around, and by the time you can get up there, your minion is dead.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That room with all the red guys wandering around confused me the first time I played, because they didn't attack you all at once, a few at a time changed, the rest were "peaceful", so I wandered into the middle.

William is actually a surprisingly easy boss. Not much of a threat at all. As for what's wrong with him, he said that the Wizard taught him to seek pleasure, so I guess the Wizard guy corrupted him somehow.

I like Rose better as well. In this case, picking her has a tangible benefit: Velvet requires you to pay 5000 gold each for the Red and Green upgrades, but Rose gives you the Brown upgrade completely free, you only have to buy the Blues. That's not an insignificant savings.

There's different Tower upgrades for if you're non-corrupt, and those also look pretty nice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Gimbal lock posted:

The Friendlord is a weird thing. The first game tries so very hard to leave the player the option to opt in as basically a good guy. Considering that the game does such a terrific job characterizing team Overlord as a chaotic roaming mob of delinquents, leaving "good guy" options peppered throughout the game feels really contrived and undermines their very own characterization efforts. Their attempts to write it off as "thoughtful planning" rings hollow. Besides, who is it that bought this game and went in expecting to be a nice goblin-master? :orks: The whole thing feels like they really wanted to make a game where the player is the bad guy, but several wet blankets on the production floor just wouldn't go along with it.
The second game is way better about this though, which is cool.

I agree with what KittyEmpress and Lotish said. The peasants are already accepting you as their ruler and overlord even without you putting your boot on their neck. I think that the game actually does offer some interesting justification for being the Friendlord.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In case it wasn't clear, the untainted grove was the Sloth choice. You could do it the fast and lazy way with fire, or the more careful and effort-requiring way without fire or Reds.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If Velvet hadn't interrupted with her own thoughts on the Rock Giant, Gnarl would have continued: "And EVERYTHING is squashier than they are!"

The gold carts have 3000 gold exactly on them, I checked.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tenebrais posted:

Are there any consequences for taking the Friendlord path with saving the elves or the sacred grove? Other than a title.

If you release the elves in the mining camp near the start, they'll attack the dwarves (and get killed). Other than that, nothing that I know of. Saving the elves in the mine doesn't do anything I think because there aren't any more enemies left by then.

EDIT: Storywise, it does kinda matter if you save the surviving elves over massacring them, but gameplaywise, it doesn't.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 15, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh well, the LP is definitely going to pass my playthrough. I'm only one area ahead.

You are totally right about the flamethrower killing the overlord in seconds. I stood too close on my recent playthrough and found out for myself. Thanks for the tip about using Reds to distract them though, that'll be helpful!

Greens are really great on those Dwarf Warriors.

The Corruption Minion spell makes enemies stop attacking and flee in terror, but the Friendlord isn't left out: for Domination, they get the Submission spell that also stops enemies from attacking. (The Friendlord Tier 3 Minion spell is a variation on Berserk, except that minions won't attack friendlies.) Friendlord's Shield spell is total invulnerability, but doesn't hurt anyone.

They want you to have all/most of these spells now to give you more time to play with them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I used "Submission" and the Mother slug wasn't too hard, but after killing it, the game took away control and I lost a bunch of minions to the huge pile of baby slugs that were all clumped together.

I just ground out 700+ minions of all colours and forged myself an 2000 minion Arcanium Helmet. I didn't have the patience yet to grind out some more, even though it doesn't take too long with my farming strategy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I had more trouble with the Boulder Beasts than Smite did, because I did that before the Brewery, so I had no minion damage bonus, and also no +15 Minions from the Arcanium Helmet. I also completely forgot about using Slow.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Greed is so tempting and these elves such losers that even on my first playthrough, a "Friendlord" run, I was quite tempted to get the gold instead. I did indeed try to do both, but the game doesn't let you. The second you complete one side by getting 10 on the gold or completing the crank, the other collapses.

I've played with the Friendlord Tier 3 Fire spell. I think it does less damage, but it probably also costs less mana as well.

I missed that extra gold bag in the royal halls! Oh well, doesn't matter, I guess. I'm glad that the autosave point before the boss has all 4 minion types. That really is a warning that this boss is difficult. My first attempt with a mixed force went extremely poorly. On my second try, I brought only reds and greens, hoping to use the reds to distract the flamethrower end and used the greens to attack the back. That was much better.

I didn't realize there were extra challenges for the arena fights, I've never done them all before (I just used the arena for farming).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wow is the desert annoying. On my recent playthrough, I restarted two or three times because I lost too many minions.

I got the mana totem using manual control instead of a distraction. I sent 5 reds to get it and manually moved them back to on the rock ledge before the critter came up.

After an incident where half my minions trailing behind me were killed by an exploding beetle as I was running away, I tended to guard-marker all my units except for one brown, and had the Overlord kill the beetles personally.

After some trial and error, I found a good solution to crossing the sand that was the same as Smite's really - I put all my minions on a guard marker, and moved them to the island, then swept them to safety as soon as the worm popped up (while following on foot myself). Once the worm pops up, it can't react fast enough to catch you.

I also got wiped out by the worm trio. They don't trigger if you guard marker them and just walk the path with the overlord, though. I didn't bother blowing the worms up, so I didn't get that extra health totem.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 25, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Gothsheep posted:

Joining in on sand-worm hate. Though as it's been said, even if you lose your entire squad it doesn't really matter since the gear here is so completely overpowered and easy to get. I think Smite missed an area or two in the little starting arena that has huge amounts of breakable things with gear inside.

Nah, not much, just some fire beetles and some crates. I think he got the rest.

Tenebrais posted:

I get the feeling Ruboria was rushed. It doesn't have any subzones and only the vaguest hint of a society to plunder, in addition to its general bad design mechanically.

Yeah, the last part of the game definitely has a "oh gee, we're running out of money" feel to it. It's still good, it just seems clear that they didn't have time to add in additional content. Then again, by this point, there's not a lot of need for additional stuff - you already have a lot of upgrades, so sub-zones aren't really necessarry.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I had quite a bit of trouble finding a spot where placing your minions would actually get Jewel to not ignore them and run through.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Scalding Coffee posted:

Where did that statue go when you left it to the elves?

No idea, and I walked around Evernight specifically looking for it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my first playthrough, those beholder guys were a huge pain. This time, I knew enough to keep my minions away from them.

Seriously? You beat Khan with no effort? I lost tons and tons of minions there. I have no idea how to deal with Khan without taking massive minion casualties. I TRIED using greens and reds to snipe, but he has just so much drat health and a lot of range with that mace.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 3, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

LorrdErnie posted:

So are they cutscenes the same at the end there as the friendlord? I'd be curious to see how they look with Rose at the very least.

About the same things happen, but Friendlord, having stayed with Rose, has has quite different lines from Rose and Velvet here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think that this reveal is quite a clever justification for playing Friendlord. Is he behaving that way because he wants to, or because a part of his old, heroic nature still persists after his revivication? Playing as Friendlord might make Gnarl's betrayal more believable, although less so for the 100% corruption version.

I like the subtle hints to this reveal earlier. At the start, Gnarl is clear that we are not the old Overlord, that was someone else, but it's never said where we came from. Then there was William, who as it turns out, was NOT mistaking us for the old Overlord. No, he remembered us from before (probably because the hero had the same armour style).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my recent playthrough, that whirlwind got 48 of my 50 minions the first time the wizard used it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The expansion doesn't care about your actual corruption level, and it assumes you were totally corrupt, even if you weren't.

Exploding Melvin has a HUGE blast radius. I lost half my minions even though I thought I was far enough away.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Funny enough, even though I beat the expansion before, I don't remember who it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'd actually completely forgotten about the Forgotten God boss. I'll watch the Wii game, but I'll bow out when Overlord 2 starts because I actually own that game but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

• Locked thread