Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Learn to think for yourself!

I am you motherfucker!

:csgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Fat Lou posted:

NEW THREAD NEW VIDEO. This video should be known as the feel good collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEx2WKuDQk

great job this owns :yotj:

the essence of ~the goon man~

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 15, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

a slime posted:

Some good times counterstrike right there

Straight up, the last two days in CS:GO have been the most fun I have had in CS:GO in months. It was hilarious.

Turk February posted:

Seriously though, if Prostidude, Fat Lou, and myself end up being on a team together, there is an 85% probability that we will lose, but I can guarantee that we are having the most fun in a Goonman.

Don't forget that Shadowlz was on our team both times. We need to do that poo poo some more. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Has the video been posted to reddit yet or can I swoop in and slurp up that sweet karma

edit: "Advanturo" really?

Jellidelic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 15, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Fat Lou posted:

I did not see that Slime made one for himself and I have that clutch in this one.

Yessss I made it in this one...by getting owned by a sweet Lou awp headshot.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Stop the mouse discussion, seriously. Everyone has different comfort levels that allow them to perform efficiently. This is the worst subjective argument on the planet.

a slime posted:

What the gently caress

I said this irl after seeing the vid then scrolled down and saw your post and wanted to brofist my monitor.

Also damnit none of my vids are linked in the first post. I'm bad though so I guess that makes sense.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Fat Lou posted:

I did not see that Slime made one for himself and I have that clutch in this one.

I was really hoping to see Drinkfist's UMP ace from the other night, then I realized you weren't playing during that goonman.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Xenaero posted:

Stop the mouse discussion, seriously. Everyone has different comfort levels that allow them to perform efficiently. This is the worst subjective argument on the planet.

I would say that its pretty objective when at a setting of 2 inches per 180 you literally cannot perform most grenade setups because your cursor skips over the target you need to hit.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fat Lou posted:

I am so happy to see myself being humiliated not once, not twice, but three times! My mid-air death rattle on nuke is the crowning achievement of my illustrious and painful Goonman Career of 2014 thus far.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I wish fat lou had been playing when I dominated that Inferno game :negative:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Popehoist posted:

I wish fat lou had been playing when I dominated that Inferno game :negative:

WELL, IF YOU LET ME KNOW OF THE DATE, TIME, MAP, AND ROUNDS OF WHATEVER COOL/FUNNY/GOONY/TERRIBLE THING HAPPENED I CAN DOWNLOAD IT AND ADD IT TO MY CURRENT VIDEO SO YOU CAN FEEL GOOD/BAD/SUICIDAL.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

We should have a google spreadsheet or something to take notes on the date/time of crazy moments after a match is done.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Ironsights posted:

We should have a google spreadsheet or something to take notes on the date/time of crazy moments after a match is done.

This is a good idea.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

What would be cooler is if there was a goonpug command to mark rounds as interesting, and https://github.com/pmrowla/demoinfo-csgo was extended to be able to extract single rounds into smaller demos, so highlights could be archived or even turned into videos automatically

Someone do that please (astro)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Demoinfo doesn't work because Valve still used the old HL2 demo format rather than the new protobuf (Dota) format. But apparently that changed in one of the recent patches cause some random dudes have started posting on the demoinfo github. I'm going to take a look at it again this weekend. But as far as splitting demos I don't know if that's even possible, but what the demoinfo does (or at least is supposed to do) is just dump all of the events in a server demo. So at the very least I could whip up a page where you can sort the server demos into matches where you got X number of kills or something, so that you at least can download the one you want.

There was also a related effort from some ESEA guy who wanted to use the demoinfo tool to make a web (idk if he was gonna do flash or html5) based viewer for demo videos, which would own if it ever actually happened. But again I think he gave up when I told him that demoinfo wouldn't work on the old format demo files.

edit: If demoinfo does end up working, it could mark files accordingly if a goonpug command that actually logged a server event for "interesting" rounds was added.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I think as long as you were careful about how you trimmed the demo and modify the protobuf messages so that the demo is still valid, it should work. I was thinking that maybe all the information you would need to do this (which messages are important and how to do the ordering) should be baked into SourceMod, since it has to hook all of these things anyway

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh man if goonpug automatically posted trimmed demos of all my aces and clutches... :allears:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Oh man if goonpug automatically posted trimmed demos of all my aces and clutches... :allears:

FILE NOT FOUND :owned:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well until your fancy demo code gets implemented, I put a link to a sheet in the Buttmen thread.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

a slime posted:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Necc0 posted:

I'm gonna hard code it so it only shows rounds where I kill whoever is trying to find their ace demos :getin:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

a slime posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fat Lou makes the best videos. :swoon:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I had a spreadsheet like...6 months ago. Hoods used it once and no one else ever bothered. :(

Have I proved myself enough so that you guys can do the easy part please thank you?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
All this amazing technology discussion. Let's just go the whole hog and have it automatically capture all the marked demos, compile them into a video file every month and upload them to YouTube with a random song from the Official Goonpug Playlist

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
It seems like it'd be easier to just have the plugin watch for aces and then just log the matchid in a way that can be easily reviewed later manually?

P.S. Drinkfist UMP ace would have been Sunday night approx 4:00PM MST while he was playing as 'DrinkUMP', I don't remember which map we were on - I think Mirage?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
!tag Deagle Ace

Save to a log file with the same name as the demo. Shows "Deagle Ace" with the time/round.

Wouldn't be too difficult to implement. I might come back to goonpugging since my CS friends haven't been too active as of late.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Do you guys find that there are typical "bracket" mistakes in ranked? Like, I've been hovering around Master Guardian I/II for a while now and I can't seem to figure out what it takes to upgrade my game. Are there typical pitfalls for brackets of rankings or is it as simple as I'm just bad at the game. How far rank wise do you guys think it's possible to go with good knowledge of what you're supposed to do in given situations while not really having great mechanical skill/reflexes?

IE I consider knowing where to stand, defend or push content knowledge that helps you traverse a round. Whereas aiming/recoil adjustment is more of a ingrained thing that isn't really binary in that you either know it or you don't.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Razzled posted:

or is it as simple as I'm just bad at the game.

It's this. Not to say that you're 'bad' per se but you've simply found a plateau point for your current skills and every advancement from this point further is going to require more and more effort/experience. You'll find that the higher up you get the more difficult it will become to rank up, also the only people at Distinguished Master Guardian and up are people who have not only been playing this game for a very long time, but have been playing it competitively for most of that time as well. I've been playing CS for a long time but only with CS:GO did I really get into regular 5v5 play, and I've plateaued at MGE/DMG.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 15, 2014

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Razzled posted:

Do you guys find that there are typical "bracket" mistakes in ranked? Like, I've been hovering around Master Guardian I/II for a while now and I can't seem to figure out what it takes to upgrade my game. Are there typical pitfalls for brackets of rankings or is it as simple as I'm just bad at the game. How far rank wise do you guys think it's possible to go with good knowledge of what you're supposed to do in given situations while not really having great mechanical skill/reflexes?

IE I consider knowing where to stand, defend or push content knowledge that helps you traverse a round. Whereas aiming/recoil adjustment is more of a ingrained thing that isn't really binary in that you either know it or you don't.

If you're playing solo-queue matchmaking, you'll be lucky to get Distinguished Master Guardian even with great skill. The best way to improve is to play with people of similar or better skill who communicate and coordinate. Even a player worse than yourself can help identify what you're doing right or wrong.

But the only way to rank up is to keep winning in matchmaking. These "brackets" aren't a precise measure of individual skill, just an average of what kind of teams you lose/win against.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Necc0 posted:

It's this. Not to say that you're 'bad' per se but you've simply found a plateau point for your current skills. You'll find that the higher up you get the more difficult it will become to rank up. You'll find that the only people at Distinguished Master Guardian and up are people who have not only been playing this game for a very long time, but have been playing it competitively for most of that time as well. I've been playing CS for a long time but only with CS:GO did I really get into regular 5v5 play, and I've plateaued at MGE/DMG.

That makes sense. I'm starting to realize too that just playing (even in a competitive setting) isn't enough. I need to consciously make an effort to practice things that I need to work out. If it makes any sense like, consciously aiming vs. just kind of aiming and trying to get a kill. I think I need to remove kills from the equation and just focus on doing the proper thing. Concentrate, purposefully aim at head. Take careful controlled shots. Over and over until I can do it in my sleep accurately and quickly.

Just playing isn't really enough to get better at this point, I have to focus on specifically what to do to get better I think.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just goonman. Goons will tell you exactly what is bad about your game so you can improve on it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Razzled posted:

That makes sense. I'm starting to realize too that just playing (even in a competitive setting) isn't enough. I need to consciously make an effort to practice things that I need to work out. If it makes any sense like, consciously aiming vs. just kind of aiming and trying to get a kill. I think I need to remove kills from the equation and just focus on doing the proper thing. Concentrate, purposefully aim at head. Take careful controlled shots. Over and over until I can do it in my sleep accurately and quickly.

Just playing isn't really enough to get better at this point, I have to focus on specifically what to do to get better I think.

I think many people will agree with me when I say I would take a team with superb game sense and situation awareness and terrible aim over the opposite any day of the week. Remember that just because you're at the top of the scoreboard doesn't mean you're helping. In fact you could actually be hurting your team! Likewise a bottom fragger going 1 and 10 could be absolutely invaluable. At the higher ranks this distinction becomes very very important.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

astr0man posted:

Just goonman. Goons will tell you exactly what is bad about your game so you can improve on it.

* however note that 90% of goons are your rank or lower

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

a slime posted:

* however note that 90% of goons are your rank or lower

**this is because 90% of goons don't MM.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
I sure did die a lot in that Fat Lou vid. I'm Phosphene btw.

For all those lurkin: play goonmans. I've been playing for a few months now and i sometimes get picked second from last instead of just last! Still get yelled at a lot, but it's good times.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

astr0man posted:

Hint: It's pretty much everything.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
OP should have instructions on how to get circle crosshair, how do i get a circle as my crosshair.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Xeom posted:

OP should have instructions on how to get circle crosshair, how do i get a circle as my crosshair.

Those are actually 4 fat pips that aren't very spaced out so they touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Yeah, like this:

http://www.krisskarbo.com/csgocross.../outline_draw=0

• Locked thread