Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Teams are out, Malthouse isn't travelling to WA with the Blues as his wife is having investigative surgery and I'm trying to smash out this OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Spedman posted:

What people want is a lot of what the game was like in the 1950's; games played at normal times like 2pm on a Saturday, not 4pm on a Sunday; and a bit of kick to kick after the game.
Six games all on at the same time kind of sucked. Especially when you were out in the sticks and there were only two radio stations with footy so you had to hope one of them was carrying the game with your team.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Watching 10 NFL games or EPL games at the same time kind of sucks, if it wasn't for the redzone channel it'd be impossible and even then I'd prefer being able to see more games spread out. I think scheduling took a great step in the right direction this year.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I just wish there was more FTA footy on Sundays, I'm often lying on the couch hung over hoping for a game in Adelaide with an early start but noooooooo there's an old Gene Kelly movie on instead. I have to sit around until 3:30 for a delayed telecast to start with no postmatch because it has to feed right into the news.

Which I usually don't do because I'm already listening to the game live on the radio as I drive around and do things.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

TG-Chrono posted:

Watching 10 NFL games or EPL games at the same time kind of sucks, if it wasn't for the redzone channel it'd be impossible and even then I'd prefer being able to see more games spread out. I think scheduling took a great step in the right direction this year.

I very much agree, its just a matter of balance like most things, you can't have every game on a Saturday arvo, but the AFL should have one game at that time slot in Melbourne practically every week.

Just reading about the Freo season launch, and there was some chat about who the next captain will be and Lyon threw up the idea of Walters being in the mix. And this got me thinking has there been any long term Indigenous captains in AFL/VFL? Were Goodes or Polly Farmer captains? I know Stephen Michael was captain of South Freo for a few years, but thats about the limit of my knowledge.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Goodes was captain for quite a few years.

Wanganeen was the inaugural captain of Port wasn't he?

Edit: A quick google tells me Wanganeen was the first aboriginal captain. Michael long was next as co-captain in 1999, Chris Johnson co-captain in 2007, then Goodes in 2010.

tnimark fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Wanganeen captained Port for 4 years

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Spedman posted:

I very much agree, its just a matter of balance like most things, you can't have every game on a Saturday arvo, but the AFL should have one game at that time slot in Melbourne practically every week.

Just reading about the Freo season launch, and there was some chat about who the next captain will be and Lyon threw up the idea of Walters being in the mix. And this got me thinking has there been any long term Indigenous captains in AFL/VFL? Were Goodes or Polly Farmer captains? I know Stephen Michael was captain of South Freo for a few years, but thats about the limit of my knowledge.

Michael Long?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Spacman posted:

Michael Long?

Think that's on a technicality when Hird was out injured with his foot for quite awhile.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

By the looks of things Polly Farmer was captain of the Cats from '65-'67, then went back and captained/coached East Perth too.

He really had an amazing career, played in finals 14 seasons straight, 10 GFs and 6 premierships, and first ruckman in the teams of the century in every team AND league he played in.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Polly Farmer's playing height was also only just touching on 6'3.
Pretty short by (current) ruck standards.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

While I don't agree with Malthouse the fact that they tried to shorten the game but that ended up actually making the game longer is pure AFL.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

pkid posted:

Polly Farmer's playing height was also only just touching on 6'3.
Pretty short by (current) ruck standards.

Almost becoming standard for mid fielders these days

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

But Caroline Wilson is a harridan!
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...224-13n1yc.html

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

MysticalMachineGun posted:

While I don't agree with Malthouse the fact that they tried to shorten the game but that ended up actually making the game longer is pure AFL.

Tbf I think their goal was not to shorten the whole game as much as increase contested play time (reducing overall time but widening what actions stop the clock). It's harder to ice the clock now.

Having said that I think I preferred 25-minute quarters and time-on only for scores and injuries. It had downsides but the change made things like playing on harder to officiate, just another example of the huge list of things umpires need to account for.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
My guilty admission is that kind of like the variability of umpiring, it makes things chaotic and fun

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

My guilty admission is that kind of like the variability of umpiring, it makes things chaotic and fun

There's nothing better than watching Razor Ray swing matches (as a neutral observer).

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
AFL is one of the few sports that has its length about spot on, while having a reasonable play/bullshit ratio IMO. Also its funny rugby is used as a counterexample, because rugby (admin) types always bang on about how rugby is too short, with no natural breaks and it sucks for ads. Isnt that half the reason they started two games on Fridays? So they could run a replay of the 2nd game and have a 3.5-4 hour block of prime time tv to smash ads into instead of 100 minutes?

Only 26 hours to go...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Time wasting got so bad that it became a reportable offence. Changing the timing pretty much knocked that on the head.

Sure, we still get keepings-off in the back half, but usually only poo poo teams do it and good teams have gotten better at counteracting it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I'm going to need an epidural to push this loving thing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Here it is, a monument to all our sins.

• Locked thread