Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

The Deadly Hume posted:

To be honest, in the long run, it's probably worth it to have a game in Sydney and another for the telly every weekend. I mean, how many second chances did the Swans get?

Maybe it's partly because Freo were the only team in the comp that weren't total shits to Fitzroy.

Huh I always assumed it was hipster ironic bullshit but this actually makes a fair bit of sense too. gently caress Oakley forever for not at least allowing the final game to be in Melbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There's a lot of people from Canberra and Perth that live in the inner north, it's mostly artsy types that fled looking for something more to their tastes. It makes they would settle in Fitzroy.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
The free market has decided that Tony Shephard's garbage club should die, but big AFL insists on continuing shovelling millions of dollars of sit-down money into its greedy, shiftless paws

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
the Greater Welfare Queens

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I bet they're not even from here either

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

hiddenmovement posted:

There's a lot of people from Canberra and Perth that live in the inner north, it's mostly artsy types that fled looking for something more to their tastes. It makes they would settle in Fitzroy.

The Great Northern in Carlton also has made it self quite Freo friendly with lots of Freo stuff hanging in the pub during the season. The place was full of Freo people during the Sydney final last year. You'll find a lot of Perth people do the 2 years away from Perth thing either in London or Melbourne, then eventually move home due to family etc.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Some of the veterans may remember that time some genius decided to have a goon meet in the Student Prince or whatever it was called, up next to RMIT. Which happens to be Port's home-away-from-home.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I'll be at the Alehouse and the Gertrude while the Richmond/Doggies game is on. In fact, if you want to stalk me someone created a map and an event.

https://twitter.com/craftbeerriding

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

Some of the veterans may remember that time some genius decided to have a goon meet in the Student Prince or whatever it was called, up next to RMIT. Which happens to be Port's home-away-from-home.

There was a brilliant screenshot of the Port Adelaide webpage circa 2006 which ran perfectly with the joke about the goonmeet at that pub, and the fact that goon (NoArmedMan) who organised it flaked out. Sadly it was on the old SAS Wiki site which is now dead

EDIT: Internet Wayback machine has an archive of the page, but not the image. Looks like you were the one who had the image, Deadly Hume, from what the logs say for that image (portgoons.gif)

You Am I fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 24, 2015

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Man that's some pretty terrible news about Riewoldt's sister.
She's younger than I am too, and that's a particularly nasty disease to deal with. :(

Definitely puts my strained thumb into perspective.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

You Am I posted:

There was a brilliant screenshot of the Port Adelaide webpage circa 2006 which ran perfectly with the joke about the goonmeet at that pub, and the fact that goon (NoArmedMan) who organised it flaked out. Sadly it was on the old SAS Wiki site which is now dead

EDIT: Internet Wayback machine has an archive of the page, but not the image. Looks like you were the one who had the image, Deadly Hume, from what the logs say for that image (portgoons.gif)
Fortunately I keep all this old poo poo kicking around, and the filename made it easy to dig up.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oh god while I'm scratching around that folder.

Famous past players.

And everyone's favourite.

:nws::nws:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Onya Jeffy

quote:

MELBOURNE footballer Jeff Garlett has failed to front court on a drink-driving charge, claiming he was at training and oblivious to the hearing.

But Magistrate Luisa Bazzani rejected his excuse and warned the court would show the AFL player no further leniency.

Garlett is accused of driving along busy Brunswick thoroughfare Sydney Road while unlicensed and more than double the legal blood alcohol limit last July.

His lawyer told Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday the 25-year-old was at training with Melbourne and was unaware of the court date due to recently moving house.

So he got arrested for drink driving and driving while suspended last July, somehow managed to avoid letting both Carlton and the Demons know. Now he has been found out after forgetting to turn up to his court hearing. He still has to appear in court again for that brawl he was in last year.

Dumb oval office.

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 24, 2015

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's The Oxford Scholar. Also its a bar that, back in my student political days, called the cops on some anti-VSU protesters. Causing RMIT's student newspaper to call for a boycott, and make the kids walk "all the way" up to teh Queensbury Hotel.

So a pub that is pro Tory, yet also pro Port Adelaide. ...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TG-Chrono posted:

Yeah, a billion dollar plus payday is kind of worth sinking 2-5% into further growth. Suns are going well though, probably contributed in part to the Titans sucking it hard (apart from the coke use of course)

I don't know if I'd call it "well" but they aren't GWS at least.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Windmill Hut posted:

Onya Jeffy

So he got arrested for drink driving and driving while suspended last July, somehow managed to avoid letting both Carlton and the Demons know. Now he has been found out after forgetting to turn up to his court hearing. He still has to appear in court again for that brawl he was in last year.

Dumb oval office.

It's like they know about the toxx :ohdear:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's The Oxford Scholar. Also its a bar that, back in my student political days, called the cops on some anti-VSU protesters. Causing RMIT's student newspaper to call for a boycott, and make the kids walk "all the way" up to teh Queensbury Hotel.

So a pub that is pro Tory, yet also pro Port Adelaide. ...

90% of Rmit students go to the asian beer cafe these days anyway

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Windmill Hut posted:

Onya Jeffy

Dumb oval office.

how loving stupid can someone not named mitch robinson be, honestly

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Btw Im up for a beer at the Rose, 4pm?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jesus gently caress you dumb gucking sjit chalets go to fucjnbi cohthr when yje judg[ tells yiu to

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hiddenmovement posted:

Btw Im up for a beer at the Rose, 4pm?
I'll be there! We should do a proper footy goon meet at some point this season

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jesus gently caress you dumb gucking sjit chalets go to fucjnbi cohthr when yje judg[ tells yiu to

Who would have thought that it would be Jeff Garlett of all people that finally gave you a stroke

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Something amusing happened at the Bulldogs training session today, noted midget Caleb Daniel gave a don't argue to the 191cm defender Jordan Kelly and knocked him on his arse. I find this hilarious since Daniel is giving up a god 23 cms and about 20 kilos but was still able to drop him and I'm expecting to see some Bigfooty posters still thinking that he's poo poo because he's small.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Kelly is more of a midfielder these days. At least he was in his last season or two at Box Hill.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

let us know if you find green frog

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse believes AFL games are too long and should be reduced to no more than 90 minutes of playing time.

The veteran coach, who this season breaks Jock McHale's coaching record of 714 games, says too much time-on and 20-minute breaks have made the AFL experience too time-consuming for a busier, modern society that wants to do more in a day than merely attend a football match.

"The first thing we've got to understand about our game is that it's too long," Malthouse told Fairfax Media.

"A game that goes for 80 minutes (without added time) ends up going for 120 minutes or thereabouts. A 50 per cent add-on is wrong.

"We've got to look at our game and say: 'Soccer is 90 minutes, rugby is 80 minutes, is there somewhere in between where we can get our game to about 90 minutes all up'?

"I'm not saying that it should be like T20 football, but we've got to reduce the length so that people can go to a game, but still do something on either end of it. Or on Saturday afternoons with their kids, they can go and have lunch, go to the game, but still get home and watch a movie."

In 1994, the AFL reduced quarters from 25 minutes to 20, but changed the definition of time-on to incorporate more added time for stoppages. The unintended consequence was to actually lengthen games, with average game times reaching nearly 124 minutes in 2011.

There have been several instances since then of quarters running longer than 40 minutes, with more added time than official time. In 2011 a game between Brisbane and Gold Coast stretched to 138 minutes.

Malthouse said that in terms of time consumed, AFL football had not changed substantially for 50 years and no longer reflected the demand of a modern society, which tried to do more with less time to spend.

"What does today's public want? Today's public are not what they were in the 1950s and '60s when football was get there, watch the under 19s, watch the reserves, watch the seniors, go home exhausted on Saturday night then sit up on Sunday and watch 'World Of Sport'. That's gone.

"What people now want is to say 'I'm going to Southbank at 6pm, I'll have a beer or wine, go to the football, then I want to come back and go out for a late dinner'."

Malthouse said while it was crucial to preserve the "uniqueness" of our football code, time could be saved by trimming the fat he said existed with the method of adding time-on and by reducing the half-time break.

"A lot of the time-on is irrelevant to the way we do it," he said. "The ball is going to go out of bounds. Let's just keep going. If it goes over the fence and someone holds it, then you stop the clock."

The three-time premiership coach, now entering his 31st year of senior coaching at his fourth club, said his perspective on the half-time break was very different as a spectator to when he was actively involved in a game.

"That 20 minutes at half-time, I can't tell you how quickly that goes as a coach. But I've sat in the stands watching those 20 minutes and just thought: 'Jeez, come on, get back down the race for Christ's sake.

"If they cut it to 15 minutes, we'll adjust to 15."

Malthouse said the problem of increasing congestion in the modern game could be countered by legislation to keep a minimum number of players away from the contest.

"Perhaps there are too many people around the ball," he said. "Perhaps you keep at least four pairs of players 40 metres from the ball, so you have a little bit of dilution in the middle of the ground.

"We don't want to be going back to the early years, but we need to keep the uniqueness of our game, which is running and bouncing and the big mark and that sort of stuff. And the thing is there are ways of doing it without complicating the game.

"You can't tell a coach to do that because we're going to be coaching to win, but you can tell the coaches that you've got to leave at least four blokes on your side 40 metres away. We've got that many umpires out there they can stand 40 metres away from a contest. You step in front of them, it's offside, bad luck, a free kick.

"So, therefore, the game becomes a little bit more dynamic instead of a maul, because if you're big and strong and tough enough, you can keep the ball going, hit the right targets, then off you go."

lol shut the gently caress up mick you dickhead

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

lol shut the gently caress up mick you dickhead

As much as Mick is a complete jackass, I think he has a point. Reducing the amount of time played would logically reduce the amount of injuries sustained. Spreading the game out a bit more would increase the stuff crowds love, like that big speccy mark after a long bomb or a few minutes where players can string together 4 or 5 possessions to set something up.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Frogmanv2 posted:

As much as Mick is a complete jackass, I think he has a point. Reducing the amount of time played would logically reduce the amount of injuries sustained. Spreading the game out a bit more would increase the stuff crowds love, like that big speccy mark after a long bomb or a few minutes where players can string together 4 or 5 possessions to set something up.

An offside rule, increased incentive for stoppages to burn off time, and talking about 'kids these days with their attention spans'

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also apparently the watts show is moving back to the forward line this year. If they can actually teach him to stick his hands out in front and lead to the ball I'll get interested. He is a great set shot for goal imo so he should force defenders to give away frees and convert them.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Frogmanv2 posted:

But most of the extra time is made up by time thats not in play so thats not going to make any difference to injuries.

Also I have never once thought that a football game felt "too long" because I am not a pussy.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Testekill posted:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/greater-western-sydney-giants/gws-given-extra-325-million-by-afl-20150223-13mn5e.html

20 million in grants and they still have an operating loss of half a million. Seriously, that money would be better spent spread around the clubs that are struggling.

Why wouldn't they just put in $21M in grants so they can claim GWS turned a profit? Seems a bit silly to me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are you talking about Malthouse? Maybe it's different in AFL, but if I spend the money for a ticket to a game, I want to watch every bit of football I can.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NFL games go on for like four loving hours so it could be worse.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

The Deadly Hume posted:

NFL games go on for like four loving hours so it could be worse.

4 hours of air time and about 12 minutes of action.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

And only a paltry 16 games per team in a 17 week season plus playoffs.

Make no mistake, the NFL is where the clubs, AFLCA and AFLPA take their queues and league and broadcasters set their greedy eyes, not the Premier League.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It's this idiotic need that out of touch, ageing members of the football community have to change Aussie Rules to be like other sports. Like constantly trying to alter the "speed" of the game, or thinking we should get rid of the point posts as we're the only ones who have them.

What people want is a lot of what the game was like in the 1950's; games played at normal times like 2pm on a Saturday, not 4pm on a Sunday; and a bit of kick to kick after the game.

I think Mick has forgotten that the majority of people who attend games either have families or are bringing families, so he has this idea of people having these busy social lives where football is just some distraction for a short while in between espresso martinis on South Bank.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Cranky old man is cranky.

There's a lot more pressing stuff to deal with than shortening the drat quarters or anything. Fix and / or scrap the free agency and work on making sure all the teams are financially solvent first (kill GWS). Tinkering with the rules every season is the worst.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Spedman posted:

I think Mick has forgotten that the majority of people who attend games either have families or are bringing families, so he has this idea of people having these busy social lives where football is just some distraction for a short while in between espresso martinis on South Bank.
poo poo, I'm a young 20 something with a busy social life, but I've been sitting with my dad at games since 1990, football is sacred to me and you can be damned sure I'll my firstborn will have a seat long before he or she needs it.

Also you can get Espresso Martinis at the SCG.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Rougey posted:

Also you can get Espresso Martinis at the SCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm not paying near $55 for a ticket to a game that runs preseason quarter lengths. It's too loving short. It was already 3 quarter time after an hour during the nab challenge match. I don't give a gently caress if people have a coffee date after the match, leave earlier or something.

• Locked thread