Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Grimes/Jones co-captains with Frawley, Trengove, Garland and Clark in the leadership group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

You Am I posted:

I thought he did this late last year

Yeah but now the dreads are gone his transformation is complete.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

And, oh boy, you think Bigfooty went nuts over Goodes' recent award......

Wait, but what kind of reaction can someone possibly have to a name change?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Chairchucker posted:

A bigfooty reaction

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

I thought he did this late last year

Yeah he did.

The kicker being that he now refuses to be referred to as Harry. He will accept "H" or "Tier" though. Good luck with that Harry....

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Basically the sense was that he's a poo poo bloke who only wants attention, and that changing his name was little more than a "look at me!" publicity stunt.

I'm no fan of Lamumba, but honestly it was pretty absurd even by Bigfooty standards. I think I posted an argument against that groupthink once or twice but it was like pushing against a brick wall. Even the usually intelligent/measured posters seemed to hate him for it.

Usually on Bigfooty there's just a "vocal minority" element that spouts garbage, but on occasional topics there is near site-wide consensus, and this was one of them. Damned if I understand it. Especially when you consider that Lumumba gave very specific and understandable reasons for the namechange.

Edit: Was there such an outpouring of hatred when Brian Harris changed his name to Brian Lake? I suspect it had more to do with everyone hating him beforehand than anything else.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 29, 2014

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

xcore posted:

Yeah he did.

The kicker being that he now refuses to be referred to as Harry. He will accept "H" or "Tier" though. Good luck with that Harry....

I don't think he "refuses" to be referred to as Harry. He'd rather be known by Heretier, but it's not like he's going to start a fight if someone calls him Harry.

"H" and "Tier" and just nicknames.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

cmndstab posted:

And, oh boy, you think Bigfooty went nuts over Goodes' recent award......

how many times has the term 'uppity' been used?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Harry O Heritier L is a pretentious attention seeking self righteous twat tho.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah he changed it in December, I'm not sure of the reason why but it could be due to his father passing or something. Either way it's no biggie, I just noticed because I was away for the christmas holidays and was doing the best 22's and noticed his name has changed. Not really anything to get in uproar about, but that's bigfooty.

NicNat is also on the verge of signing the longest deal in Eagles history. Didn't see him going anywhere anytime soon regardless.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

cmndstab posted:

Edit: Was there such an outpouring of hatred when Brian Harris changed his name to Brian Lake? I suspect it had more to do with everyone hating him beforehand than anything else.

I suspect that Bigfooty is upset because Heritier is a ni.... magpie.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah he changed it in December, I'm not sure of the reason why but it could be due to his father passing or something. Either way it's no biggie, I just noticed because I was away for the christmas holidays and was doing the best 22's and noticed his name has changed. Not really anything to get in uproar about, but that's bigfooty.

It was something along the line of taking his stepfather's name when he was a kid because it was easier at school. Then when he grew up, he chose to keep it out of respect for his stepfather. Once his stepfather passed away, he looked to reclaim some of his heritage and chose to use his birth name again.

The thing with Heretier is that he's done a thousand things to make you think he's a tool, so I'm not sure why people are insistent on latching onto one of the few things that shouldn't.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

cmndstab posted:

It was something along the line of taking his stepfather's name when he was a kid because it was easier at school. Then when he grew up, he chose to keep it out of respect for his stepfather. Once his stepfather passed away, he looked to reclaim some of his heritage and chose to use his birth name again.

from memory wasnt brian lake's namechange from a nearly exact situation?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Lumumba's one of the few Collingwood players I like though. :confused:

Actually I can't think of any others...

Also Mike Pyke the Canadian just became also an Australian.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

for real tho i like having H in the league, i think he generally has some real poignant things to say about race relations in australia in being a dude who is australian in that altho he was born abroad he was raised here since he was 3. his comments about walking down the street and having people yell out racial epithets at him from cars is a thing i know a few of my mates have experienced despite being australian regardless of their skin colour, and its good to open a public conversation on these things - ie dont do that, stop being a racist shithead etc.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
What has Heretier doen to make people hate him? I have no idea what he does off the field but quite like him based on his football :confused:

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

The Job Creators posted:

I suspect that Bigfooty is upset because Heritier is a ni.... magpie.

I see what you did there..

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Supercoach is now open, join the Goon Cash Splash code: 278680

Do people still want to use Ultimatefooty for the draft league this year? Supercoach draft allows keeper leagues now and is as flexible. Do people want to switch?

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 29, 2014

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
In.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

TG-Chrono posted:

Do people still want to use Ultimatefooty for the draft league this year? Supercoach draft allows keeper leagues now and is as flexible. Do people want to switch?

I like the idea of a draft/keeper league given we often have the same people involved year after year.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Stumbletron posted:

What has Heretier doen to make people hate him? I have no idea what he does off the field but quite like him based on his football :confused:

I imagine it would be hard for most people who dislike him to answer this without use of the word "uppity"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

from memory wasnt brian lake's namechange from a nearly exact situation?

Yeah but he changed to a normal name.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

for real tho i like having H in the league, i think he generally has some real poignant things to say about race relations in australia in being a dude who is australian in that altho he was born abroad he was raised here since he was 3. his comments about walking down the street and having people yell out racial epithets at him from cars is a thing i know a few of my mates have experienced despite being australian regardless of their skin colour, and its good to open a public conversation on these things - ie dont do that, stop being a racist shithead etc.

Yeah, having someone like Heretier in the league who is willing to speak his mind on issues of prejudice and injustice when asked(and has something valuable to say) is a positive, most players dont know/dont care enough to give anything more than club provided non-answers to any question they are ever asked.

Footy players are a big loving deal in this country, so someone like him can make a real positive impact.

Edit: triple posting and melbournes not even playing

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I remember when he revealed he had a thinking chair at home for when he wanted to mull things over and BigFooty was super angry about it for some reason.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I remember when he revealed he had a thinking chair at home for when he wanted to mull things over and BigFooty was super angry about it for some reason.

They don't have toilets in their houses?

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

pkid posted:

Not all toilets are made equal

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

pkid posted:

All their excrement goes on the BigFooty forums so they have no use for a physical toilet.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

A keeper league would be pretty great, even though I am going for a threepeat on Ultimatefooty :(

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Apolis posted:

A keeper league would be pretty great, even though I am going for a threepeat on Ultimatefooty :(

If ultimate offers keeper leagues that looks like a better choice.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is a keeper league where you start the new season with the roster you finished last season with?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

Is a keeper league where you start the new season with the roster you finished last season with?

To a point. You can set a limit of how many players are kept players up to the whole team.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

If ultimate offers keeper leagues that looks like a better choice.

Keeper Leagues for all!

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/help/keepers

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

TG-Chrono posted:

Joined!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
In as Whyonly18characters

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Let's run two separate keeper and normal leagues for ultimate footy just to get a scope for it. I'd like to continue the goon golden spoon and also start a keeper league for the future. I really enjoyed UF over the past 2 seasons as it's a lot more similar to the fantasy layout I'm accustomed to. Also ditch the 'no move' clauses from the beginning this time around, that rule is bullshit for a game that requires you to manage a list, especially when injuries come knocking. (It locks in 'top' players arbitrarily without you selecting who they are, and you can't delist them for the entire season.)

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 30, 2014

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

Let's run two separate keeper and normal leagues for ultimate footy just to get a scope for it. I'd like to continue the goon golden spoon and also start a keeper league for the future. I really enjoyed UF over the past 2 seasons as it's a lot more similar to the fantasy layout I'm accustomed to. Also ditch the 'no move' clauses from the beginning this time around, that rule is bullshit for a game that requires you to manage a list, especially when injuries come knocking. (It locks in 'top' players arbitrarily without you selecting who they are, and you can't delist them for the entire season.)

Yeah, no "can't trade" list this year. We haven't had much churn in who participates in the UltimateFooty league, happy to just mark it a keeper from here in and only make it that 3 or 4 players are kept over rather than an entire team so there's a chance between seasons or if someone does drop out, they're not screwed with an awful team.

Also...

quote:

PLAYERS are set to wear guernseys with their names written across the back during this year's home and away season.
The innovation will reportedly involve a one-week trial at some point during the 2014 Toyota AFL Premiership season.
:getin:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The Dandenong Tiprats are back for another year of misery. Also keen on ultimate footy and a keeper league.

Bravo to whoever is Daniher's Dentists!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Yo TG-Chrono is that meet up for the Superbowl still happening?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Shmoses posted:

Yo TG-Chrono is that meet up for the Superbowl still happening?

Yep! 9:30-10am Monday. Great Northern in Carlton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

thepokey posted:

Bravo to whoever is Daniher's Dentists!

:haw:

• Locked thread