Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I think it was Nathan Eagleton who copped a really bad bump early one year or maybe even preseason cup. I remember him convulsing quite violently on the ground which was just sickening to watch. Sort of like the SOS one but more shaking if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

joe daniher is such a goober

That's Hurley and Melksham ... unless you just mean in general, in which case, yeah.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Wait, but what kind of reaction can someone possibly have to a name change?

A bigfooty reaction

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Dandenong Tiprats are back for another year of misery. Also keen on ultimate footy and a keeper league.

Bravo to whoever is Daniher's Dentists!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I can understand people not giving a poo poo about names on the back, but to actively oppose it, I don't get it. It breaks from tradition; so what? It's not like Aussie Rules' defining feature is not having player names. Sometimes it's good to break from tradition when tradition is antiquated. Kind of like I hope we break from tradition and broadcast FTA full HD some time. I know America does that too, so I hope people don't have a big problem with it! Yeah I can whip out my phone and check a player's number that I don't know, but maybe I'm sitting on lvl 1 and a player runs by and I can clearly see the name printed too, which saves me fishing my phone out and missing something. It's not that big a deal.
Agreed with Gough too, yes I know who Luke Hodge is, but I'm sure there are half a dozen fringe Hawthorn players I'd not instantly recognise.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

xcore posted:

HAHA. A working wireless connection at an AFL match? Stop making poo poo up.

You know the weird thing is before last year I'd have thought the same. Then last year I started getting not too bad Internet at games. Friends would be battling with their phones at half time and I'd generally have a decent connection. Not sure what witchcraft was behind it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I'm all for posting the supercoach stuff here, it really doesn't intrude too much on the footy talk for those who don't like it, I'm sure it'll be easy to skip. I think when it's had it's own thread it sort of gets forgotten about. Generally it's just half of us going :argh: and the other half :smuggo: . Although bummed I can't make the ultimate footy draft again this year, have something booked up that night. Although it didn't work out too bad for me last year since I nabbed GAJ in the preselection picks.

Here's my first draft so far, pretty much all rookies are still just place holders until after the not-Ansett/Wizard Homeloans/NAB cup thing finishes. 108k in the bank still.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

I reckon they should bring it out for the showdowns and whichever team won the last showdown should get to wear it the next time to rub it into the opposition that they are the best South Australian side.

Yeah this is kind of cool.

Failing that, just let both teams wear it round 2 and then everyone wins.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Dandy GO posted:

It would be pretty one sided right now, anyway. Ablett, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Kennedy, Selwood, Boak is a crazy midfield.

At the same time, jesus that would be amazing to watch. Even if they absolutely slaughtered another side, I'd imagine the way they went about it would be as much a spectacle as anything. Although, yeah, not going to happen.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah some fond footy playing memories from years back. Even as far back as primary school, I remember they banned Steven Salopek from playing in the "lightning premiership" after 1 match because he just single handily dominated absolutely everyone to the point that it was ridiculous. I think we were 11?

To add to the above, there was always that kid who had absolutely no interest in footy at all, so he'd sit in the goal square drawing things in the dirt while the ball sailed over his head for a goal.

I love watching the Auskick matches at half time, some of the funniest stuff goes on there, like 6 on 1 match ups in the midfield while one team stacks the backline yet the ball never goes down there. Have noticed that the girls at that age seem to kick a lot more rear end than the majority of the boys. Can only hope some of them go on and continue with their footy.

I couldn't play beyond 22 though as my knees just became too hosed, played a little for Hampton Park Redbacks and Narre for a year. Although as is mentioned above you are going to get dickheads out there just to hurt people, I do miss the physicality of it, the feeling of you've been through a war with your mates and come out the other side. I doubt 9's will offer that :p

But I have been curious about giving 9's a shot. I've been horribly out of shape the past 18months and trying to get myself back to as good as I can be, gym, eating right etc...I'm aiming at doing Tough Mudder in September and told myself if I can do that then I'll look into giving footy another shot afterwards, would like it to be club but realistically probably 9's.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Barry Hall the boundary rider getting very close to punching out some guys in the front row who keep annoying him!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

afl played with 9 players each side(3 in def, mid, and fwd) over a 100m pitch. everyone needs to start in their zone but can go wherever after ballup, only fwds can kick goals and then only within fwd zone, touch rules (you get 2 secs with no prior), automatic turnovers on every pass by foot or hand. other than that its basically footy.

From watching some of the games at half time at the footy, it also looks like you can't kick over a zone? Like someone in the back zone can't just bomb it all the way over the mid zone into the forward, someone has to take possession in the middle before moving it forward?

So what if you don't have a team, and it's just you and you'd like to go along and be part of a team? I could only find info on joining as a group, I think.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I'll be awake Sunday night/Monday morning, but I'm not optimistic about finding a stream for Essendon and GC.

You and me both, I found one for the Brisbane v Hawks game but it was so slow it was useless.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Bastard! That Ablett guy is a hack riding a wave of luck!

Always sucks to lose those even in preseason! Sounds like a ripper though, best thing about it means that it should give the regular season game a bit of feeling, well done Suns!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

He has a fair point regarding the coaching I think. Although absolutely disagree with his comments on Demetriou.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress it, play the game anyways. NAB cup is all about experimenting, AFL + water polo.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Looked like more people on the ground than there were in the crowd. Can't blame them, no home team on a night like this. Just stunned they got the ground into playing conditions after that!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Any time I see Daw and Natanui mentioned in the breath together I think of Basil Zempilas last year asking an Eagles player (I think) if people would get Daw and Natanui mixed up :psyduck:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

cmndstab posted:

Anyone got pictures from the game? I want to see how well they cleaned up the oval.

There's a recap video on the AFL website, you'd pretty much not know it was flooded at all. Just weird seeing Cardina that empty though, looked like less than 100 people there. Guess that's what happens when you have a game there on a week night, that doesn't feature Geelong and after torrential rain.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I used to work as a pie boy. The best eviction I ever saw was in the Collingwood cheer squad. Two huge bears of men were being held down by about 3-4 cops each as their kids stood by crying. They had knocked out some block that was splayed across the seats near them.

Quite the sight.

Best I saw was just at the past Ashes, day 2. Was sitting right above the crowd that are normally in bay 13. Would have been about 4pm or so when this big group of guys who were pissed out of their head started an argument with security, the cops came down and one cop tried to take one of the guys by the arm to eject him. The dude shoved the cop and the cop went back over the seats into the next row; it was on for young and old then. Were about 10 guys in this group, all but 2 joined in. One cop had a guy in a headlock and was seriously hammering away at his jaw. I'd never seen a fight involving cops like that, usually it's cops trying to restrain people, but this was a full on fist fight from all involved. Was quite amazing seeing that section start the day packed full and by that time there were so many empty seats everywhere from ejections.

But that is so hosed about the guy abusing Daw. How many times does this poo poo have to happen? And with his son there too!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Was that Boxing Day? I reckon we were right near were that all went down, there was a huge commotion not long after tea. Near the Dental Plan/Lisa Needs Braces placards?

Second day of the Boxing Day test. We were right above it on the railings looking down. Never quite seen anything that brutal at a game before.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Decided to rock the black suit/red shirt combo today to head to the game after work. Might just be the not-NAB cup but drat it's good to be going to the footy again!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Geez Bombers looked rusty tonight. Lot of kicking practice at training this week - shots on goal and delivery inside 50 was shocking. Not sure why Carlisle wasn't playing, really missed a second proper tall up forward. Daniher looked fantastic though, even when not slotting them through he was all over the place and just looked like once he gets his poo poo together he's going to cause a lot of headaches. Thurlow was pretty quiet when not rucking, but looks like he could be a decent ruckman to fill the gap until Bellchambers is back. The guy just looks and moves like David Hille which is nice. Zach Merrett also showed a bit, like a little bulldog who is tackle hungry. Chappy didn't look like he wanted to go too hard - he'd pull out of contests, run at half speed and didn't want to take any shots on goal; but besides having to leave the field twice for the blood rule he got through ok. Jobe looked rusty, never quite seen him like that before - shanking kicks, poor decisions, putting team mates under pressure etc. Guess it's good that these matches are designed to help work these kinks out.

Tell you what though, that Wingard is bloody impressive. In fact even though Port themselves were pretty rusty, they still looked pretty decent.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Apolis posted:

He was probably running at full speed.

This was slow even for him, he was practically walking to contests. Can't really blame him though, he got through it at least. Can't say the same for Hibberd and loving Winderlich again. Seriously that poor guy can't catch a break.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Thinking round 1 is going to be super easy, we're playing one of those new teams, Essendon has a a 28 year development head start on North in the VFL so we'll wipe the floor with their bunch of kids.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Draft is this coming Friday yeah?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

davmo1 posted:

I thought the draft was in like, November?

Not the important one.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

davmo1 posted:

Televised?

Sorry I thought you were joking haha. No the draft as in the Ultimate Footy Fantasy draft.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

tnimark posted:

This Monday at 7:15.

drat, won't be able to make it then, gotta love those 7pm lectures. Although it didn't work out for me so bad missing it last year getting GAJ first up.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Isn't Scharenberg out for quite awhile now too?

Still don't really feel anywhere near happy with my team yet, 80k in the bank for this, would ideally like to leave it with 150k in the bank.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 1, 2014

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I'm good either way, but if we are picking based on the future too that might require a bit more time to think/re-organize pre draft, I didn't even consider that was an option if it's happening tomorrow.

Has anyone taken part in the draft from a mobile device? I'll have to do it during a lecture so wondering if it's worth it or just fly with pre-selections? Do you have to refresh constantly to see when it's yours turn or will it not require that? And 90 seconds a pick? Sorry I know I could probably look this up but am on the go at the moment.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Cya Andy!

How did you guys see what number you'll be in the draft?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ah right, I'm pick 1, I was pick 1 last year too so it'd be fairer to scramble it then, unfortunately!

Don't think I'll be able to get away with being on my phone tonight so going to have to trust the pre-draft picks I set up.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I managed to join the draft half way through after my lecture during a lift home but ended up getting motion sickness from looking at my phone in the car...that's suffering for your team. Because I didn't pay too much attention to UF last year I am unsure how to feel about my team/if they're the sort of players that'll be a decent pick...seems like I got a few players who could be great but have big question marks over their bodies holding up which could prove to be a headache!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Robodog posted:

Team Gumbletron

No kidding, Boyd, Pavlich, Duffield, Cornes, Waters, Hayes, Waite..half my team will be retired by years end.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Poor Nick Riewoldt.

(not really)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Woo! It's not BT!

Imagine those two teaming up ... "Wowwee it squirts out of the pack to Big Boy! I bet you never squirted it out of the pack, Richo!"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Libba a brownlow smokey at this stage?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

maybe he can win one early then turn into a stinking loving cheat just like his old man :allears:

Nothing wrong with what his old man did so long as he wanted to be a fire fighter after footy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

not gonna lie luke tapscott's effort to re-recruit me to the dee's member's ranks was p halfassed. the random call
-in from last year was far more committed

To be fair, that would be such a poo poo job. Cold/Warm calling people is poo poo enough as it is, but if you're part of the Melbourne football club calling your fans asking them to give you money whilst trying to promise improvement and fend of attacks and "advice", it must be like call Beyond Blue but in reverse.

• Locked thread