Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
YESSSSS 2014 Season.
I think i might just about be over Richmond's capitulation in the final against Carlton last year.

wait....Nope, not quite.
gently caress I hate Carlton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

angrynaut posted:

Story goes people heard Matt Maguire's leg snap from a few levels up at Docklands.

I had headphones on but people sitting around me on Level 3 at Docklands said they heard Nathan Brown's leg snap.

I heard Chris Newman's leg snap when he kicked Leon Davis' in the leg in the wet about 5 years ago at the G but it happened not far from where I was sitting on the fence.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I remember that night so vividly.
When he did the injury they didn't show us on the big screens and from where I was sitting we didn't have a good view. I remember listening to Triple M and they were seeing the replay of the incident from the TV coverage and being sickened. Everyone around me was asking what had happened because I had headphones on.

Eventually they showed us on the screen and honestly it was like the stadium had been transported into space, they'd let opened the roof and every single piece of oxygen was let out. It was just awful. No one cared about the game anymore. Richmond supporters were totally devastated.

Then we started getting flogged and Richmond supporters left in their droves. I'll always remember this Melbourne supporter giving lip to Tiges fans for leaving. Real oval office of a bloke who, if circumstances were different, would have been lucky to make it out given some of the poo poo he was saying.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

[quote="pkid" post="424752490"]
Quote is not edit, rear end in a top hat.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

It's not a massive issue. He was going to struggle to make it into the 22 anyway this year and probably would have been delisted at years end.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

AFL Fantasy is already open but Supercoach opens this Friday. I'll start a goon league then, with UltimateFooty coming a few weeks after. I'm still keen for a meet up on Monday for the Superbowl, kickoff is at 10:30 so I'll be getting there about 10ish. It's at the Great Northern

Have you booked a table? I am going there with a mate also. Might have a few more friends coming too.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Supercoach is now open, join the Goon Cash Splash code: 278680

Do people still want to use Ultimatefooty for the draft league this year? Supercoach draft allows keeper leagues now and is as flexible. Do people want to switch?

I like the idea of a draft/keeper league given we often have the same people involved year after year.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I remember when he revealed he had a thinking chair at home for when he wanted to mull things over and BigFooty was super angry about it for some reason.

They don't have toilets in their houses?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

If ultimate offers keeper leagues that looks like a better choice.

Keeper Leagues for all!

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/help/keepers

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

We don't need names on jumpers. We have numbers. Don't see why we need both.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The reason I don't really want it is because football jumpers have no shoulders and therefore less room for the name at the top, so they use a crappy condensed font that makes it awful to read.
gently caress the back sponsor off the jumper (it'll never happen) and put it below the number and I can probably deal with it.

I like what a lot of baseball teams do where they only wear names at away games. Theory being fans at home know who the players are, fans away do not.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

These are pretty good videos. They certainly reinforce that Majak is an absolute beast in the gym. He did some impress looking stuff like benching poo poo tons of weight but that bit where is squatting with the weight hanging between his legs is awesome. The weight barely moves side to side or back and forth. His core strength must be off the charts for that. The media guy tries it and it's all over the shop.
His show muscles are good but it looks like his go muscles are even better.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I thought the AFL set up their own media dept so they could start to produce the coverage themselves and then just sell the feed to the various networks?

I'd love the AFL to set up a streaming service but I the problems with it are our lovely internet speeds and also if you use MLBtv as an example, games are blacked out in local markets as to not reduce the cash that local networks are prepared to pay for broadcast rights. If that occurred here then in Victoria you'd only get interstate games. Very few people are going to run VPNs to see footy live cheaper.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Shmoses posted:

Agreed, but there's zero chance the clubs would be willing to risk their big stars getting injured in a show match. Can you imagine how much we'd hear about it if Scott Pendlebury got injured playing for Victoria?

haha this reminds me of something I heard last week.
I was listening to the PTI podcast (good if you like US sports) and on Friday they were talking about how boring the Pro-Bowl was going to be because of the lack of physicality. So anyway, they changed the Pro-Bowl rules and there was a bit of biff from the defence.
First story Monday - THERE WAS TOO MUCH BIFF IN THE PRO-BOWL.

Can't win, don't try.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

On the topic of the sports sync radio, I have one and it does an ok job.
The biggest issue I have with it is that when you delay the radio it sounds like absolute shite.
There is no stereo sound and the commentary sounds like it's a bunch of blokes shouting into a mic from the other end of a warehouse!

This is a good guide for people who might want to give this a try and not buy the radio.
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/01/how-to-sync-radio-cricket-commentary-with-tv-broadcasts/

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Step 12. Goodbye Mark Nicholas.

Noice.

He is probably the least worst of them all these days.
Fire Michael 'Slats' Slater directly into the sun tks.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I smell a team of goons.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Saw the final score and possession count. There has to be some kind of caveat that I don't know. Like Richmond played cripples and Coburg seconds...

I went to the game and saw the first 3 quarters.
Richmond didn't get out of second gear all night. Melbourne we're good at keeping possession of the ball across the backline.
Tigers just weren't really interested in chasing and the forwardline, besides Vickery, seemed out of place for lots of the game.

Dees looked a hell of a lot more cohesive though. Thought Tyson was good, liked how Toumpas played too.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Pretty interesting comments by Clarko in the paper today.

TheAge.com.au posted:

Reigning premiership coach Alastair Clarkson has called for sweeping reforms to the AFL coaching ranks to block any repeat of the Essendon supplements scandal which he said had been allowed to ''ambush'' the game.
Revealing his severe disappointment at Essendon and regretting that he and other senior coaches had not communicated their dismay to James Hird when it could have made a difference, Clarkson said it was wrong to assume that other senior coaches felt Hird had been harshly treated by the AFL.
Clarkson also said he had harboured strong sympathy for AFL boss Andrew Demetriou and likened Demetriou's efforts to handle the saga throughout the 2013 season to ''treading a pathway through a minefield''.

Under the Clarkson blueprint, which he also outlined in a frank presentation to the AFL Commission in Sydney on Monday, Hird would not have been allowed to coach the Bombers without AFL accreditation and at least two years' coaching experience.
Clarkson told Fairfax Media: ''We need to ensure (the Essendon supplements scandal) never happens in our game again. What have we learned? What have coaches learned about their obligations and responsibilities to young men? What have clubs learned? What have junior coaches learned?
''It's too easy to sweep it under the carpet and hope it's never going to happen again. Next time it could be illicit drugs or young girls in night clubs. It comes down to having the right systems and protocols in place.
''Hirdy (James Hird) needs accreditation to coach under nines but not an AFL footy team. It really concerns me that the game doesn't protect itself in the way, say, the teaching industry does.''
Clarkson, who has just returned from two weeks at Harvard Business School, said he had chosen to speak in some depth about his concerns because he believed senior coaches had more to offer than simply self-interest in the governing of the game.
''I know there will be a view which says: 'Button your lip Clarkson. This doesn't involve you, concentrate on Hawthorn and don't worry about other clubs,''' he said. ''For too long, coaches have had that attitude or felt they should. For too long, we've said nothing. We need to speak up about this.
''We're only temporary custodians. We're just here to protect the game and pass the baton on to the next generation and ensure it is in a good state.
''We've just got to make sure that things like what happened last year must never be allowed to ambush the game again, to tarnish what is a great game.''
Clarkson said it was the role of the AFL to put regulations in place, although he has already outlined details of his recommendations to the AFL Coaches Association. He
said that coaches' licences should be mandatory and that by 2020 every senior coach appointed should have coached his own team for a minimum two years.
His comments came after not only the unprecedented suspension of Hird in 2013 but Brisbane's sacking of its three-time premiership captain Michael Voss, who also took over as coach with no previous experience. ''The game doesn't protect itself from over-zealous board members,'' Clarkson added, ''who become fixated on the idea of a club legend or a star player becoming their coach with no experience.''
Clarkson said he had been disappointed that reports of AFL Coaches' Association bosses visiting and working with Hird had given ''half a suggestion that the coaches' association sympathised with Hirdy and understood and felt he'd been harshly done by. That was not my view, not many of the other coaches' view.

''I'd like to (talk with James Hird) at some stage, but now is probably not the time.
''The time we could have had an influence was half-way through the year, but unfortunately that didn't happen.''
Asked whether he had sympathised with AFL chief Andrew Demetriou, who came under fire for his handling of the drugs scandal, Clarkson replied: ''Hell yes.
''I really felt for Andrew (Demetriou). He was trying to do the right thing by the game. He and Mike (Fitzpatrick) were trying to protect the game, the code and all of us in the game, and he was treading a pathway through a minefield. There were landmines all over the place.
''It affected all of us and it forced us to look at ourselves and what we could learn from it at Hawthorn. Coaches are pretty resilient, but it was more to do with the wider damage to the game. We have a great game and it was ambushed and it could have been avoided.''
A former teacher, long-time assistant coach also boasting experience at VFL and SANFL level, Clarkson is entering his 10th season at Hawthorn and was summoned by the commission to present his views after a session the previous season with 2012 premiership coach John Longmire.
After coaching Hawthorn to a second premiership under his tutelage, Clarkson said he had also been influenced late last year by a visit to St George's Park in the UK, the English Football Association's national football centre for coaching and development, a centre he believed that the AFL could use as a model.

I think his point about coaches not having experience is pretty spot on. His point about Hird needing experience to coach under 9s but not the Bombers is pretty amazing when you think about it.

Kinda also agree on his points on Demetriou. He took a fair bit of flack last year but he was really caught between a rock and a hard place for most of the year.

pkid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 17, 2014

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I gave up after about 3 minutes because I really should be working....
http://www.sporcle.com/games/grimlock81/afl-clubs-ex-players-at-another-afl-club

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

realbez posted:

I gave up after it told me Josh Kennedy isn't formerly a Hawthorn player.

edit: for gently caress sake it needed Josh P. Kennedy.

In fairness, there are 2 Josh Kennedys that would apply to this list.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Just spotted Mitch Clarke and Nathan Jones from the Dees taking photos in Degraves St on the way to work this morning.

Did some googling and found out Mitch Clarke is a bit of a shutterbug.
Has his own facebook page dedicated to the craft - https://www.facebook.com/mitchclarkphotography
He takes a pretty nice portrait!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

EDIT: Geelong will be bad this year because there is no Ablett on the list.
[/quote]

Gary Senior?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Joined the Ultimate Footy league as team 10.
Lucky I checked because I thought I was already in the league!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Rumor rolling around twitter (I think it started with Neil Mitchell) that Andy D is stepping down this morning.
Presser at 10.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

He is going to stay around until the end of the season.
Maybe he got that tennis gig.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

I'm on the way to taking the missus to the hospital presently so prepare for shenanigans.

Push the draft if need be, there are more important things than fantasy footy. Not many, but some.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I saw Roosy on Foxtel last night and the on screen graphics pointed out that the Dees play the Saints Round 1.

At this point you'd have to tip the Dees right? Which means that come the end of round 1, Melbourne are likely to be in the 8 and, if the Saints form is anything to go by, top 4!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

4 looks like a luxury tax or football department cap might be coming in.
5 is good, no more priority picks. Hopefully leads to future draft picks being traded.

#5 also include the removal of the veterans list.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Shmoses posted:

I listen to him fairly often in the morning in my bottleshop, he's always spouting this kind of inane poo poo. In the lead up to the 2010 World Cup he was advocating banning non-Australian national jerseys because his grandson had wanted a Messi Argentina jersey, which he considered unpatriotic.

You know KB's show needs people to phone him and be outraged, thus a lot of the crazy poo poo he says is tongue in cheek and purely a mechanism to drive more calls.
gently caress why would he have Patrick Smith on all the time if that wasn't the case.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I have a membership that it spread over 10 monthly payments that automatically rolls over until I say otherwise.
Don't other clubs offer this?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

:(

HeraldSun.com.au posted:

CROWS senior assistant coach Dean Bailey died this morning.

Bailey, 47, was diagnosed with cancer — that filled one of his lungs — in December.

Adelaide Football Club players, coaches and staff gathered at their West Lakes headquarters at 9.30am today to learn of his death.

The news of Bailey’s death will be met with shock and sadness around the AFL community where Bailey was admired as one of the game’s much-loved men and sharpest tacticians.

Bailey first learned of his predicament after becoming acutely ill late last year before doctors identified his condition as a cancer in the chest area.

Despite being on indefinite leave, Adelaide’s strategy and innovation coach continued to play a role at the club, inspiring the players with visits between treatments.

His passion and dry humour made him a popular figure around West Lakes.

Last month, after it was confirmed that Bailey had returned to hospital, Brodie Smith said the players’ thoughts were constantly with him.

“It’s just a sad and unfortunate event,’’ Smith said.

“He’s such a great coach and such a good guy around the club.”

Some of the players and coaches shaved their heads as a token of support when Bailey was undergoing chemotherapy.

Bailey’s career in AFL football began as a player in the Essendon midfield in 1986. He played 53 senior games until his retirement in 1992. He then turned to coaching with outstanding credentials as one of the game’s deepest thinkers and calmest men in high-pressure matches.

Bailey left Essendon — where he was a development coach — to be a vital part of Port Adelaide’s 2004 AFL premiership triumph as an assistant coach for Mark Williams. Late in the 2007 season, Bailey was appointed Melbourne’s senior coach — a demanding job he kept for 83 games before his unjust sacking midway through the 2011 season.

Bailey returned to Adelaide in October 2011 to be the senior member of rookie coach Brenton Sanderson’s panel at West Lakes.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gabensraum posted:

I made the Vietnam comment.

I can't believe I fell for that ISBN thing in your profile.
I thought it was a real book.

SIKE

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gabensraum posted:

Been there for a couple of years and you're the first to have looked it up (or admitted to). So thanks!

I used to read these spy/choose your own adventure books as a kid and they said the ISBN was your International Spy Bureau Number. This has lodged in my brain and now whenever I see one I look it up.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Hahahaha Stephen Dank has been summonsed.

Sounds like ASADA doesn't quite have the evidence to issue infraction notices.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

holy lol is that real?

wonder if they're co-owned by opel?

They're owned by VW.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

MY TIPPING

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

This is Buddy's fault.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Looks like GWS has a real shot of getting off the bottom of the ladder this year.

The Saints were always going to be superglued to the bottom of the ladder this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Also, cheers to GWS cause Richmond can lose to Gold Coast and not be the biggest story of the weekend anymore :D

• Locked thread