Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So where is the reprint up too story wise?
First appearance of Big Ben, The Man With No Time For Crime!, Miracleman has discovered his origins in the bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So where is the reprint up too story wise?

The last issue of Book 1 dropped today. I kinda breezed through it since I've been reading the old Warrior run during my downtime.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Even the Parental Advisory Edition felt the need to censor the racial slur, incidentally, but that's okay because seriously Alan Moore that was not an okay reason to push that particular envelope.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

CapnAndy posted:

First appearance of Big Ben, The Man With No Time For Crime!, Miracleman has discovered his origins in the bunker.

Didn't Big Ben have his own story in Warrior for a while?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CapnAndy posted:

Even the Parental Advisory Edition felt the need to censor the racial slur, incidentally, but that's okay because seriously Alan Moore that was not an okay reason to push that particular envelope.

I saw some patter on twitter complaining about that and rolled my eyes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Didn't Big Ben have his own story in Warrior for a while?

Yeah there were a couple stories and Dez Skinn wanted to make him a major character iirc.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I think Warrior tried to go for the whole shared world thing. I think that's why V For Vendetta is said to be a world where Mike never remembered his trigger phrase.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking the story, although I kind of don't like the latest turn. I more liked the whole story of Miracleman & Co. just being a Captain Marvel-esque crew that got hosed over and Mike rediscovering himself/Miracleman. Finding out that it was a conspiracy all along and they were never heroes but just experiments is really kind of... I don't know, a disappointment? I guess that's all in fitting with Moore's The Original Writer's work, the whole deconstructing the superhero schtick, but I thought the concept of exploring Mike Moran and Miracleman becoming distinct personalities was interesting enough by itself without pulling the whole "oh no your whole life's a lie" card.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

It is so great seeing a non-spoiled reader's opinion on Miracleman as it re-unfolds.. Even if I don't agree.

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

GET OUT OF MY PROGRAMME, SAD MAN

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I think Warrior tried to go for the whole shared world thing. I think that's why V For Vendetta is said to be a world where Mike never remembered his trigger phrase.

And Gargunza built the Fate computer. I do hope Marvel reprint the Kimota! companion, as I loved reading the Warrior timeline as written by Moore.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I do have to wonder, in the V For Vendetta world, is Johnny Bates still alive somewhere out there?:tinfoil:

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
I thought the conspiracy twist was pretty amazing actually. Also makes me feel sad for Big Ben.

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

GET OUT OF MY PROGRAMME, SAD MAN

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I do have to wonder, in the V For Vendetta world, is Johnny Bates still alive somewhere out there?:tinfoil:

I'd have to assume because Miracleman wasn't reborn to rekindle his superhuman blood lust, he simply sat back and enjoyed the luxury that being in the elite of fascist Britain afforded him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, what? :stare: Gargunza's being metaphorical, right? (Don't answer this)

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Gargunza does so many awful psychologically weird stuff that you could be talking about anything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Talking about the last page in issue five, but that's a good point.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Flergatron 3000 posted:

I thought the conspiracy twist was pretty amazing actually. Also makes me feel sad for Big Ben.

Super sad for him, chum, being the unwitting plaything/weapon of a shadowy group and all.

The reveal as to how the miracleman family came to be was pretty interesting, I wasn't disappointed at all. Depressed, sure, but not disappointed.

Just as an aside, what counts as a spoiler? Can I discuss what has happened in the current (issue 5) and previous issues in detail, while avoiding what is yet to happen?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is comic books. I wouldn't put it past Moore to have Gargunza be the kid sent back in time or something.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Oh that's what we're talking about! I like to think Gargunza is so screwed up that he traumatizes his nazi friends everytime he makes coffee in the morning.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish I knew what issue you guys were on so I'd know what we're talking about.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the issue said it was up to Warrior #18

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I wish I knew what issue you guys were on so I'd know what we're talking about.

They're talking about this page

and Gargunza's weird-rear end "...my father" line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ooooh, now I get it. I won't say anything, but yes that is a very weird line from a very creepy man.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

This is comic books. I wouldn't put it past Moore to have Gargunza be the kid sent back in time or something.

...would that mean Gargunza is basically Trunks? :v:

(Or Cable, for a more subforum-appropriate joke.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Prison Warden posted:

Body switching sounds more likely.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Body switching sounds more likely.

Yeah, if I has to guess as to what is going on, it is that Gargunza plans to take the kid's body and put it into the weird space-time dimension that the Miraclemen bodies are located in and link himself to it, so he can just say "Gargunza!" and boom now he's all superhuman. But I thought I'd go for the most literal idea.

If Gargunza was Miracleman's son, sent back in time then him creating Miracleman is a stable time-loop event to ensure his own existence, which I'm all over.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Well the colours certainly are done well here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Original colors, for comparison:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't say that I love the original colors but I still really feel like important elements of the linework are lost due to the glossy shading in the reprints.

And of course, gradients abound.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Original colors, for comparison:

Gotta say, to me, that cheap-looking brown suit just gives off a much creepier vibe than the classier, professional-looking gray suit. Downgrade!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I can't say that I love the original colors but I still really feel like important elements of the linework are lost due to the glossy shading in the reprints.

Yes, but on the other hand...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also in the original version of that Gargunza page everyone is like, citrus orange so that's another really odd thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, but on the other hand...

Of course, of course. There must exist a compromise between idiotic color choices and lifeless attempts at photo-realism.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Could you point out a part of that page where the linework in the drawings is lessened in the remaster? Because to my eye, I can see more of the pencil and ink detail in the new page in pretty much every panel.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chime_on posted:

Could you point out a part of that page where the linework in the drawings is lessened in the remaster? Because to my eye, I can see more of the pencil and ink detail in the new page in pretty much every panel.

Agreed. The original Comico stuff was 100% garbage for the rest of this story (i.e. everything up to Olympus) so I'm really unsure why people are pining for it. Marvel gets a gold star from me on everything they've done with the re-release so far.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 20, 2014

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I don't see anything soulless with the recolouring either, I don't get the upset.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I just want to know what fetish the original colourists had for the colour pink? Was there a huge huge surplus of pink inks at Eclipse?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also in the original version of that Gargunza page everyone is like, citrus orange so that's another really odd thing.

IIRC back in the day comics were printed on the shittiest paper possible(like recycled orange crates) so its likely a scan source issue.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm seven pages into the new issue and I had to put it down for a bit. That plan's loving sick.
e: oooh poo poo, bad word, oh poo poo.
e2: oooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit miracledog.
e3: Mr. Cream :ohdear:

The coloring on Chuck Austen's art looks way the gently caress better than what they did with Alan Davis.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was really surprised that they just went ahead and put Captain Marvel in the book. Like, I thought referring to other companies' stuff just wasn't done much in the industry aside from winking nods, but Gargunza's just like "Oh man I totally ripped off Captain Marvel and it worked great". Also the concept of a "scientifically-approved form of demonic possession" is hilarious. Good to know that even Satan needs FDA approval.

Also Silver Age Backup Marvelman displaying some classic Superdickery instead of just stopping Gargunza after regaining his powers, chooses to play a prank on the guy and in doing so ends up activating the loving earthquake machine. Smoooth.

• Locked thread