Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jack Gladney posted:

The original or the new one from Marvel?

And if it's the new one how do I go about fixing that problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The original or the new one from Marvel?

Sorry, the new one from Marvel; the old one has the bubbles intact. You can see the text in the rough drafts within the "making of" section, so I suppose it's kind of in there in a not at all satisfactory way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm guessing this is in all issues? There's no point in me going to the shop, and opening the bag to check whatever page for the text bubble? (I haven't picked up this week's issues yet, and didn't want to waste their time/inventory.)

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

IUG posted:

I'm guessing this is in all issues? There's no point in me going to the shop, and opening the bag to check whatever page for the text bubble? (I haven't picked up this week's issues yet, and didn't want to waste their time/inventory.)

It appears so, yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Quesada must be thrilled that the trend is holding.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The only downside is Alan Moore's name is not on it as he would be having some epic meltdowns. He got pissed when a printing error forgot his name on Captain Britain, I can not imagine what would happen now.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Not gonna lie, I thought the all-black bubbles were an effect, like, Bates is back and this time he's an unfathomable cosmic horror

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The original is creepy...

But the production error?

I would actually buy this as an Alan Moore "We don't get to know what he says to terrify her. We are no longer privy to the Ubermench's words" use of the medium, if I didn't know otherwise.

Dialogue is available on the pencil pages in the back, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, how was Kid Miracleman able to be normal enough to build a software company in the first place? He seems pretty nuts from the first time Mike meets him as an adult. Was he just like content to be a regular serial killer or what? He doesn't seem like a guy who could just go to work and get groceries and stuff without skinning some people or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So do you think they'll send out fixed copies or are they gonna shrug and say wait for the trade?

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, how was Kid Miracleman able to be normal enough to build a software company in the first place? He seems pretty nuts from the first time Mike meets him as an adult. Was he just like content to be a regular serial killer or what? He doesn't seem like a guy who could just go to work and get groceries and stuff without skinning some people or something.

He seemed to be content being completely above everyone and essentially running the world and having humans as his playthings. Having that taken away for even a second is really what brought out his madness.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The digital one is has no error

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Kid Miracleman's life story post Dragon Slayer always confused me a little, did he have any clue regarding the deception or not? Because if he continued to think Gargunza was responsible for the bomb, why didn't he track him down? Did KM not notice the sudden absence of all his old enemies and the alien civilisations he once freely interacted with?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jack Gladney posted:

He's undoubtedly degenerated after he got the rush of cutting loose as an adult and then got beaten up and repressed, too.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Spoilers Below posted:

I would actually buy this as an Alan Moore "We don't get to know what he says to terrify her. We are no longer privy to the Ubermench's words" use of the medium, if I didn't know otherwise.

That's what I thought too. I think the bit with the bullies is arguably stronger in the version with the error, as Kid Miracleman's words in those panels don't really add anything that the solid black bubbles don't.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I haven't really jumped into this despite being excited that it is actually back in print, mostly because of the prices. Thought I would trade-wait on it only to find that it would only be marginally cheaper to buy the reprinted first trade than it would to buy one of the incredibly out of print ones from a few decades ago. Is it worth it? And to those who have read both the old and the recolored ones, do the changes detract?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So do you think they'll send out fixed copies or are they gonna shrug and say wait for the trade?

I doubt they'll offer any kind of exchange. They have the text just a few pages later in that issue. Maybe a second printing.

Also, for what it's worth, I got a variant cover apparently (according to ComicbookDB), and I also didn't have the text.

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 9, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bairfanx posted:

I haven't really jumped into this despite being excited that it is actually back in print, mostly because of the prices. Thought I would trade-wait on it only to find that it would only be marginally cheaper to buy the reprinted first trade than it would to buy one of the incredibly out of print ones from a few decades ago. Is it worth it? And to those who have read both the old and the recolored ones, do the changes detract?

i hate the recolor, but most people here like it i think. also the new edition censors some racial slurs i think?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bairfanx posted:

And to those who have read both the old and the recolored ones, do the changes detract?
Judge for yourself!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

CapnAndy posted:

Judge for yourself!

Blech, mixed feelings. Some of that looks good (like fixing up MM's skin to not be purple) but the desire to make all of the things more realistic looking is disappointing. The top recolor almost feels like it belongs in the DC house style.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just loving hate that gradient poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, it blows my mind that some people apparently think this is an improvement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How many issues is this supposed to be in the end?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Anyone else think it'd be worth starting a spoiler thread?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

:justpost:

I wouldn't read it, as this is my first read of this series. But no one is stopping you from making a new thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a spoiler thread, but it dropped off the live forums from lack of use. At this point it would just be for the Gaiman stories, right?

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I was sure this thread was going to be cranking today.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Little shell shocked tbh

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thank you guys for not spoiling it, haha. I won't be able to get my issues until the weekend at the earliest, but now I know I have something to look forward to. Now to ignore this thread for a few days.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that in an R-rated book filled with some of the most horrific and gruesome imagery ever drawn in a comic, of people having their skin hung up on clotheslines, women and children having their arms ripped off and eyes torn out, bodies impaled and dismembered in every way imaginable and even child nudity, the one thing they decide to censor is a racial epithet?

The Goon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 5, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

The Goon posted:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that in an R-rated book filled with some of the most horrific and gruesome imagery ever drawn in a comic, of people having their skin hung up on clotheslines, women and children having their arms ripped off and eyes torn out, bodies impaled and dismembered in every way imaginable and even child nudity, the one thing they decide to censor is a racial epithet?

No, because the violence it recalls is much worse than tons of fictional people dying in a fictional massacre? There isn't even a case to make for the use of it in context, it's just Alan Moore being clueless about racism, a cluelessness he would recall years later when putting the goddamn Golliwog in LXG.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ElNarez posted:

No, because the violence it recalls is much worse than tons of fictional people dying in a fictional massacre? There isn't even a case to make for the use of it in context, it's just Alan Moore being clueless about racism, a cluelessness he would recall years later when putting the goddamn Golliwog in LXG.
I was in favor of the first censoring, which was a truely unecessary time to use it, but this time... no, they should have left it in. Johnny Bates has gone completely 'round the bend, he is being literally the worst person. I think the racism there has a point, y'know?

Anyway. So! Now that everyone knows why Miracleman is so highly regarded, what do you think? :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Still one of the best comics about super beings doing what they do. I forget if the original printing censored that word.

bairfanx posted:

Blech, mixed feelings. Some of that looks good (like fixing up MM's skin to not be purple) but the desire to make all of the things more realistic looking is disappointing. The top recolor almost feels like it belongs in the DC house style.

I still think you are loving nuttier than a shithouse buzzard but at the same time the B&W was still my favorite.

V For Vendetta in color should never have been done though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know that this whole series is supposed to be a deconstruction and unconventional and crazy, but I kinda wish there'd been more of a normal fight. You get the scene of everyone confronting Bates, then everything kinda goes weird. Miraclewoman dies(?) with little fanfare and then Aza Chorn and Miracleman go on their acid trip adventure for a while. Then Bates somehow shows up from out of nowhere, then Chorn teleports them back to London. When did Bates leave London and how did he find Chorn and Miracleman? Who cares that's not important stop asking questions. After that it's a really short fight leading up to the climax. (Plus the climax was kinda weird. Teleporting a rock into Bates hurts him, but somehow being teleported into the arch didn't hurt him because...?)

It's like... most of the series so far all the trippiness and aliens and wonder-babies have been slowly introduced, which has been slowly changing the tone of the book. But then Bates comes back in like a blast from the past evil villain in overdrive and the story seems like it's trying to keep the tone it has for the last few issues while also having a villain fight, but it doesn't really work because (for me at least) they're two great tastes that just don't taste great together.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Also why the gently caress did they fight him one at a time? Are super people and Warpsmiths beyond dog piling?

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think Miracleman or the Firedrake were prepared for what they saw in London, even (or especially) after the euphoric mindfuck to outer space. The Warpsmith allowed the Firedrake to buy him time while he purchased more power, and the second part of this fight (during the weird, brown Apocrypha scene) happened in the backmatter of issue 2, if that helps at all. Honestly, i don't care much about tactical realism, even if it is in a "what if superheroes were real?" comic like this, but your mileage may vary.

I'm don't think anything like this had been done before this issue was originally published, which was 1988 at this point. (When did this story begin, 83?)

e: Oh man, this issues backmatter is Legendary. Well, to me at least, since Miracleman has been one of my favorite superhero stories for a dozen years and yet I've never seen half of this stuff!

Blind Marvin fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 6, 2015

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So is Miraclewoman still alive or what, it didn't look like much of a hit compared to what it took to take out everyone else.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I forget if the original printing censored that word.

It didn't, I just checked. It works for me as just another way in which KM is a complete dick, but I can understand how others might feel differently.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I've read Miracleman before but I was wondering, in this recent issue what's the significance of that one odd panel shape that's constantly used in the chapter? You know this one in the centre of the page:

That particular shape shows up all the time in the issue at different angles and even gets used multiple times in the same page. It's an obvious stylistic choice but I can't figure out the significance or symbolism behind it.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012
I guess it looks like the SHAZAM! symbol, or a shard of broken glass, or both, but honestly I never thought about it much until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This thread shoulda gotten bumped with #16's release.

So, then... Peak Alan Moore in that one, huh, as he basically describes his idea of utopia. I personally always found it pretty eye-rolling (yes Alan, we get it, you love sex and drugs and man-made gods and anarchy, my issue is that you don't seem to understand that other people might disagree or that you might not be right).

This also ends Moore's run on the book. Neil Gaiman picks it up next issue, and for those of you who agree with me on the whole perfect-Moorian-society being not that perfect, you'll be happy to hear that Gaiman thinks there are flaws too. For those of you who disagree, you'll be happy to know that he's very respectful -- he doesn't knock down what Moore did at all, he just begins to explore it.

• Locked thread