Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enbot
Jun 7, 2013

Helsing posted:

There was no "checkers" scandal. Nixon was asked on television whether he had ever taken gifts while in office and his response was to say that he had once been given a dog but that his family loved that dog and named it Checkers and that there was no way in hell he was giving it back. "Checkers" was an early sound bite where Nixon was able to deflect attention away from the possibility he was corrupt by being folksy and it worked extremely well (ironically this gave Nixon a reputation as someone who was great at manipulating this new fangled television thing, a reputation that he would dramatically fail to live up to during the Nixon-Kennedy debates).

There's really no comparison between Nixon talking about his loveable family dog and Chris Christie forcing thousands of people to lose many hours of their lives so he could take vengeance on a small town mayor. Dogs are cute, shutting down bridges for petty political reasons is repulsive.

Besides that political "precedent" arguments are just terrible in general. Confounding variables and single data points simply make them extremely bad at prediction. When people bring up trivia like that- it's interesting historically but there's nothing you can do with it. Besides that the mood of the electorate changes quickly, you can't say "Nixon blah blah" because Nixon himself (the impeachment) had huge impact on how people view the president.

Anyway no loving way he comes back from this, but then again I never thought he had a chance in the first place. He simply won't (wouldn't) have broad appeal once people actually look a bit deeper and he starts getting grilled by other candidates. He's always been pure name recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Continuing with the off topic trivia, how did we end up with two dog related scandals within 10 years?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Americans love dogs. Presidents love dogs. Presidents get accused of dumb poo poo. Eventually they're gonna collide.

Frankly, if every scandal involved a cute puppy, more people would be into politics.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

AP has him getting booed at super bowl ceremony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm5DhHuWj8
Comments calling AP commie follow

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie is now using statements by David Wildstein's high school social studies teacher to discredit him.

Wildstein is 53.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

DJ BK posted:

AP has him getting booed at super bowl ceremony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm5DhHuWj8
Comments calling AP commie follow

To be honest I can't hear any booing in that video, just a sort of low drone that sounds like an airplane. Maybe they should've used another source.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

And Christie appointed him! How does this make him look much better?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

At the rate this is devolving, one of them is going to challenge the other to meet him out behind the bleachers for a punchup after school, and the entire playground will simultaneously go "oooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo."

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 2, 2014

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

beatlegs posted:

To be honest I can't hear any booing in that video, just a sort of low drone that sounds like an airplane. Maybe they should've used another source.

So they're saying "Boo-urns?"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

beatlegs posted:

This video has clear boos.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The US has had a lot of dog related scandals.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dusseldorf posted:

The US has had a lot of dog related scandals.

So is that animal abuse or folksy charm?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Talking Points Memo posted:

Worse Than I Realized

JOSH MARSHALL – FEBRUARY 2, 2014, 1:01 AM EST45
As I wrote below, before Wildstein's accusations, before this afternoon's email, I thought Christie was toast. I think's clear for the reasons I wrote, even if Christie is totally innocent and even if no smoking gun emerges. But I hadn't sat long enough with the Christie letter to fully digest its implications. This email is purportedly if not from Christie himself then issued in his name and from his closest advisors. On that basis it reads like it's coming from a person or a team who is way, way further gone than I had realized.

One person said we should see the release of this email as a message to funders. If so, the message seems to be "I'm desperate and losing my mind."

This email/memo/press release doesn't read like a methodological takedown. It reads more like something dashed off in a climate of frenzied but impotent rage.

Look at this passage.

It's genuinely shocking that a sitting governor and presidential aspirant finds himself or his key defenders writing a sentence like this: "He was publicly accused by his high school social studies teacher of deceptive behavior."

I mean, is that a joke? Or, he's someone who "made moves that were not productive"?

Seriously, who wrote this?

What's funny is that many people who know the guy have no trouble saying Wildstein in a brilliantly sleazy guy, someone with a taste for dirty politics and would, as the letter finally says, do and say anything to save David Wildstein. So even as a scorched earth attack it's a pretty hapless effort. It shouldn't be hard to find damning things to say about this guy.

In the cited articles, you see some of the inherent difficulties of the situation. Sleazy liar is Gov's "eyes, ears inside The Port Authority"!

That helps.

It speaks for itself that Wildstein is out to save himself. He is not sitting on a reputation for integrity and truth-telling. So the wisdom of doing anything more than saying Wildstein is trying to save himself and lacks credibility is highly questionable. The end product here reads like it's coming from a team or a person who is flailing and grasping at straws.

If I'm a Republican power player reading this to a get a read on what's actually happening, what's likely to happen next week or next month, I think I come away thinking things are considerably worse than I realized.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
All this does is breathe new life into the story of how Christie ran roughshod over the student government of the University of Delaware.

The TPM story linked to is better, so here it is.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 2, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I knew they were throwing him under the bus, I didn't realize they were going to bury him too. If they're running that scared it really must be worse than we thought. Maybe there really is a piece of smoking gun evidence out there waiting to turn up?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Christie's hosed, that email is embarrassing and desperate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I mean it's been said by everyone else but:

wiki posted:

In 2010, Wildstein was appointed by newly-installed Governor Chris Christie's senior representative at the Port Authority, Bill Baroni, to serve as the agency's director of interstate capital projects, making Wildstein the second highest-ranking Christie political appointee among the agency's executives, after Baroni himself.

Why is Christie releasing oppo on this guy like he was running against him? Is this another weird staffer just kicking into automatic defense mode? Will Christie hold a press conference distancing himself from the author of this file, then release oppo research on them? :psyduck:

Is Chris Christie actually a weird, incompetent idiot?

e: Christie is accusing another person of being "contentious" and "a political animal" :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 2, 2014

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

more friedman units posted:

Christie's hosed, that email is embarrassing and desperate.

Exactly. If Christie knew Wildstein was that big an rear end in a top hat, Christie is the guy who appointed him to a six-figure position in the Port Authority. So again we're going on the "corrupt vs incompetent" argument, except it's leaning a lot more towards "corrupt" at this point.

Once enough high-level cronies flip, Christie is gonna get impeached. I'm guessing most of the people with evidence against Christie also have it against the Lt. Gov, so get ready for a shitshow.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
That is not an article I would point people to if I wanted to put distance between Chris Christie and David Wildstein. Like, at all. It's a bafflingly stupid thing to draw attention to under these circumstances.

that same 2012 article posted:

Eight current and past Port Authority colleagues agreed to speak about Wildstein, but insisted that their identities remain undisclosed because they feared retribution. They described Wildstein, one of 50 recommended for jobs by the Christie administration, as intimidating, hardworking, intelligent, private and fiercely loyal to the governor.

Some bristle that a senior executive post is occupied by someone with more experience with campaigns than with transportation issues.

“He became the watcher of the entire agency,” one person said. “What he was watching for was strict adherence to the Christie agenda.”

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ny_metro/030312_Ex-blogger_is_Governor_Christies_man_inside_the_Port_Authority.html?c=y&page=1

c.f. http://www.northjersey.com/news/transportation/The_Record_Shawn_Boburg_supporting_documents.html

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
It only makes sense if Christie and his staff are in total meltdown to the point that they can't spot obvious political blunders. Jesus, maybe there really IS some smoking-gun email or text message from Christie telling them to pull the trigger. This level of flailing and bunker mentality, what else could it be?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Assuming Christie gets impeached, how does that process work? Is it like on the federal level, tried by (state) Senate with 2/3 (27 votes) to convict?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gen. Ripper posted:

Assuming Christie gets impeached, how does that process work? Is it like on the federal level, tried by (state) Senate with 2/3 (27 votes) to convict?

I think this lays it all out. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/lawsconstitution/constitution.asp

But basically

quote:

SECTION III

l. The Governor and all other State officers, while in office and for two years thereafter, shall be liable to impeachment for misdemeanor committed during their respective continuance in office.

2. The General Assembly shall have the sole power of impeachment by vote of a majority of all the members. All impeachments shall be tried by the Senate, and members, when sitting for that purpose, shall be on oath or affirmation "truly and impartially to try and determine the charge in question according to the evidence". No person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two-thirds of all the members of the Senate. When the Governor is tried, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court shall preside and the President of the Senate shall not participate in the trial.

3. Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and to disqualification to hold and enjoy any public office of honor, profit or trust in this State; but the person convicted shall nevertheless be liable to indictment, trial and punishment according to law.

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

It's also incredibly rare for impeachment to be brought up against governors in the US. Only something like 14 cases in the entire country since the early 1800's. If it gets to that point, which is looking likely, Christie would probably resign. Though I could easily see him pulling a Blagojevich and fighting till the bitter end.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

more friedman units posted:

This level of flailing and bunker mentality, what else could it be?

Pushback from the donors he's courting adding fuel to the fire, maybe? I'm sure the whole office gets to hear about it at great volume when a Somebody gets skittish.

I'm not familiar with his background, but have his staff ever had to handle a real clusterfuck where they didn't have the upper hand? Could also just be amateur hour.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The actual message that they're putting out her isn't for the media or the public, it's for the other potential turncoats. They're signaling that they're willing to dig up dirt that covers the entire career of the staffers involved and then some. Wildstein coming out and saying that Christie was behind it all is bad enough, someone else deciding to rat him out would sink his presidential hopes and possibly lead to impeachment. Hell, it could even lead to him doing jail time, although I find that idea pretty unlikely.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

The actual message that they're putting out her isn't for the media or the public, it's for the other potential turncoats. They're signaling that they're willing to dig up dirt that covers the entire career of the staffers involved and then some. Wildstein coming out and saying that Christie was behind it all is bad enough, someone else deciding to rat him out would sink his presidential hopes and possibly lead to impeachment. Hell, it could even lead to him doing jail time, although I find that idea pretty unlikely.

I mean, sure you could see that angle but it's so loving petty that it reads more like "We are a sinking ship and now is the time the run the gently caress away"

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

A big flaming stink posted:

I mean, sure you could see that angle but it's so loving petty that it reads more like "We are a sinking ship and now is the time the run the gently caress away"

I doubt much personal thought went into it other than giving the order to smear him. Wildstein became a political enemy and Christie's team is reacting. It might be a poor strategy but I don't think it reads as a sinking ship (yet). It's just a standard smearing with talking points, probably made in advance.

Until there is direct evidence linking Christie to the bridge order I think there's a small chance he'll come out of this with a comeback story.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Be careful or else he'll bring up the one time your teacher said that you weren't being as productive as you could be.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

HackerJoeGuy posted:

Though I could easily see him pulling a Blagojevich and fighting till the bitter end.

There's always an outside chance he'll join D'Souza on the 'any perceived wrongdoing on my part is an Obama conspiracy' train.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

And Christie appointed him! How does this make him look much better?

David Wildstein was even appointed by Chris Christie, a man twice accused of shutting down a bridge for political payback. Can you trust a man like David Wildstein? Vote Chris Christie for President.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

His Presidential hopes are already dashed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

His Presidential hopes are already dashed.

I think he can recover from what we've seen so far. This has damaged him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him head up the GOP ticket in 2016.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think he can recover from what we've seen so far. This has damaged him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him head up the GOP ticket in 2016.

Maybe if he shows any of his supposed cunning and political savvy in dealing with this. Right now, even if he enters, his opponents can just beat him to death with this? What's his rebuttal going to be? Wildstein was mean to me in high school?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
He might make the GOP ticket in 2016 but there is no way he's getting elected as it stands right now.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

He was already a long shot and now his overall national numbers are negative and likely to get worse as more people learn about him through this scandal. This scandal is destroying his main asset in the GOP primary, which would have been his ability to claim he was more 'electable'.

Republicans may like a guy who talks tough and bashes unions but at the end of the day Christie was never all that popular to begin with amongst large swathes of the GOP. Having a very damaging scandal attached to his name that is pulling down his national numbers right at the moment when donors start to think about the 2016 race is devastating.

He isn't getting nominated.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
At this point, hasn't he lost too much of the support from Democrats he'd have needed to win a general election?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

eviltastic posted:

Pushback from the donors he's courting adding fuel to the fire, maybe? I'm sure the whole office gets to hear about it at great volume when a Somebody gets skittish.

I'm not familiar with his background, but have his staff ever had to handle a real clusterfuck where they didn't have the upper hand? Could also just be amateur hour.

Let's remember that this is at least 3 separate clusterfucks, at minimum 2 of them federal.

1) Sandy relief funds used for personal campaigning purposes.
2) Sandy relief funds used for blackmail/quid pro quo purposes.
3) Bridge lane closings.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

api call girl posted:

Let's remember that this is at least 3 separate clusterfucks, at minimum 2 of them federal.

1) Sandy relief funds used for personal campaigning purposes.
2) Sandy relief funds used for blackmail/quid pro quo purposes.
3) Bridge lane closings.
4) Sandy relief effort being kinda poo poo:

Report (.pdf) posted:

Among impacted residents in the panel survey, the vast majority (75%) say that people like them have largely been forgotten in the recovery effort - including (85%) of those still displaced and (64%) of those who have returned to their homes. Only (25%) of those surveyed feel that the state's recovery effort has focused on helping them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Shaq... noooooo :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How will the misappropriation of relief funds reflect on Obama? He and Christie spent a lot of time together after hurricane Sandy.

• Locked thread